Dead Reign Resources - New Zombies and Other Goodies

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dhorn
D-Bee

Re: Dead Reign Resources - New Zombies and Other Goodies

Unread post by dhorn »

I can't wait to throw a few brain eaters at my players. Thanks and well done.
krispy
Hero
Comment: Luck favors the prepared

Unread post by krispy »

impressive mate,

i like how you have factored in the the effect of time and the environment on the Zeds reflected in the 'Jerky' & 'Shard'

the 'Black Madonna'.....morbidly awesome mate

and you can never go past brain eaters.
connecting the dots
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

i used the abomination and i loved them. they are the first step towards them going against the abomination wm that slappy made.
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

wow well done love it man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'hope you got more!!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

dude lets make it happen bro i would love to see that netbook i myself am using heros and aliens unlimite to make some nasty zeds. if u need any help or ideas or some one to bounce ideas off of hit me up.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

darkanx wrote:Thanks so much! Yeah, I got a few more on the way. Also, I mentioned to Krispy, saying how I was thinking I might gather ideas for supernatural zombies and make a netbook for more super-powered types. I was thinking how neat it would be to start a game with normal zombies, then as players get a higher in levels and don't feel afraid of zombies no more, BLAMO!, second Wave hits and it's a whole new ballgame.

imagination has been put into DR gear
connecting the dots
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

oh hells yes lets get it rolling right. one idea is a sprinter a fast zed that can run as fast as a car for short bursts of time. or a juggernut with damage resistance, or one with a variation of bio armor that is made of bone, and both have massive damage capacitity. or flesh eaters with mega bite and grappling claws both from The Black Valt. hows that for a start.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

contributing, hope you like

Glutton Zombie (nicknamed Piñatas)

A Boomer from L4D can be made via an aberrant Juggernaut (Big Boy/Girl / Jabba)

They are a food equivalent of the Flesh Eater. For some reason they still hunger for food (possibly a mild form of Pattern Zombie) for some reason they only see humans and animals as a PPE source. They will eat packed meat or sliced ham, chicken nuggets etc but they won’t rip an arm off a survivor and eat that, or eat a dead dog

Though Gluttons continue to eat food (should this restore SDC??), this doesn’t do anything to satisfy their new found hunger for PPE

they are found in shopping centers, petrol stations, 7/11s, diners, restaurants, kitchens, food markets etc

They have all the stats given in ‘Civilization Gone’ but they can also spit/vomit a foul mix of bile, stomach acids, and rotting food, that stinks, temporarily blind you, make you sick, and potentially suffocate you

this vomit can make the ground slippery. if you get it on you it helps Zeds follow by scent

They also have the potential to explode when shot, spreading more of the foul mix and rancid fat. (memories of Monty Python and Big Trouble in Little China)

Progression: if all food sources are depleted in their little territory the Glutton will begin to wonder until it finds another food source. If there is no food left the glutton will go on a long walk.

Over time the fat is eaten away and excess skin hangs from their body (nicknamed Skinbags) they can still spit/vomit that foul mix but with a more rancid fat smell to it. Amazingly their size can be restored if they find another food source
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

darkanx wrote:@Krispy OMG, that is brilliant! That isn't even a supernatrual type, just a guy/girl who has been stuffing themselves to the brim since the wave. I actually imagine them all bloated, waddling forward. The moment you puncture their guys, gallons of putrid, rancid food comes spilling out. They might even allready have rips/holes where the food is just oozing out of them. Man, the prefect thing for scavengers to find when they hit up the grocery store. Mind if I include him in the Zombie Netbook? Would love him as an addition.

Addendum:
Yeah, I don't think they would really digest it. It would mostly just sit and rot in their tummies. However, In my version of the game, zombies are kind of barely alive with a extremely slow metabolism, like bears in hibernation, so their organs, as long as not damaged, still barely function (if critical organs are damaged, if they don't regenerate from kills, they rot and die in a matter of months). So yeah, they would slowly slowly digest the food. I see them more attacking people to defend their food claims, rather than to try and kill them for PPE.

im glad you like it mate and to your Q you are more than welcome to include it

i agree with your addendum, i was just throwing the possibility out there

ill try to think of a few more for the project
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

darkanx wrote:Sounds like a good start. This is actually quite a lot of stuff. Makes me wonder that instead of writing them up as whole new zombies, if maybe they should be written out as individual "perks"/powers that you can randomly select from.

Example:
Base Zombie: Flesh Eater
Roll 1d4 Perks:
Brain Eater (+tracking abilities and head attacks)
Reaper (+fangs and claws, beastly appearance)
Abomination (Can steal body parts to replace his own)
Mr.Hyde (+layered flesh armor)
Berserker (+Extra attack, Always attacks closest target)
Survival Instinct (May make dodges)
Lone Wolf (hunts alone +int, lays traps)
and so on and so on.

This would let you build a huge variety of zombies. You might get a excellent tracker, a hideous monster, or a combat machine. And making a random zombie generator this way would be pretty easy. Hmm...the only problem with this is that I would be tempted to write out some of the existing zombies as being perks instead of being a full zombie type in of themselves. Like a Crawler could easily be a Flesh Eater as well. I guess that wouldn't really be a problem. I am not really listing their full stats or anything, just what the modifiers from a default Sloucher would be. Even normal things like: kid, fat, muscled, and so on would similarly be perks. And basically the more powerful you want the zombie, the more perks you give it.

Kind of a deviation from the way things are normally done, but could be fun because of the variety.
Female Teenager Pretty Impersonator BrainEater Screamer -- A flirty teenage girl that lures you in then screams bloody murder in your face as she chokes you.
Male Kid Juggernaut Abomination Mr.Hyde Berserker -- Pissed-off, monsterous fat kid, finally getting his revenge on those who poked fun of him in school.
Female Woman Bugboy Bloater Thinker LoneWolf -- Worm lady stalking you from the sewers.

Hmmm...dunno. Will give it all more thought. Think this method could fly? X3

Normal Zombie Netbook updates underway. 2 new Zeds at least, one is kind of hilarious.

i like this idea mate. its a good option if you want a variety of Zeds that you have to combat differently....it would keep you on your toes
connecting the dots
ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

very well done !!!!!!!!!!!! add this dead reign as well hope you got more !!!!!!!!!!!!
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

here is a potential Supernatural Zed for the list if you like it....its still raw but i will edit over time

Name: Stalker

prior to the Wave these poor souls suffered from an unfortunate medical condition called Neurofibromatosis (Reckling-hansen's disease) a condition in which tumors grow along the peripheral nerves throughout the persons body
(sorry, i work in the Health Field and i thought i would use some of my medical knowledge to try and create some supernatural Zeds from real world conditions)

When the Wave hit they start off very similar to either a Flesh Eater or Fast Attack (flip a coin) with a unique ability

Ability: Bio-Neural Disruption Field.....this is an innate ability (due to their medical condition, the effect of the Wave and feeding on PPE) that is constantly active

what this field does is any psychic or mage within their range are unable to use their powers, they are neutralized

my train of thought is there is a dual range system. the 1st range (say 100m radius) is the distance that Zed and psi/mag can sense each other.....'we got a Stalker ound here somewhere, i can feel them'

the 2nd range (say 10m radius) is where the Zed can neutralize the suriviors abilities

i know Zeds dont have experience levels but i was thinking that for every year of the Zeds existance the neutralization field increases by 1m

i was thinking they would prefer not to share the PPE so they would knock out a victim and take them far away from other Zeds before they kill them...meaning they would have a den on the outskirts of a town/city
Last edited by krispy on Sat May 28, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

darkanx wrote:Sounds like a good start. This is actually quite a lot of stuff. Makes me wonder that instead of writing them up as whole new zombies, if maybe they should be written out as individual "perks"/powers that you can randomly select from.

Example:
Base Zombie: Flesh Eater
Roll 1d4 Perks:
Brain Eater (+tracking abilities and head attacks)
Reaper (+fangs and claws, beastly appearance)
Abomination (Can steal body parts to replace his own)
Mr.Hyde (+layered flesh armor)
Berserker (+Extra attack, Always attacks closest target)
Survival Instinct (May make dodges)
Lone Wolf (hunts alone +int, lays traps)
and so on and so on.

here are a few more ideas for the list....they still need a lot of work but hear you go

* Siren/Squealer: this person was an Opera singer and the Wave has created supernatural vocal cords. a Siren's Moan can get the attention of all Zeds in an 18 block radius not 12

They can generate ‘Infrasound’ – that has the effect similar to “Vertigo Field” from pg 85/6 Powers Unlimited 1, causing all survivors in range to lose - initiative, a number of attacks & a penalty to Dodge/Parry/Strike

i was thinking that maybe a progression could be a Sonic Blast attack

* Bats (as in blind as a........): these individuals were blind before the wave, so their other sences were enhanced
when they bacame a Zed they can see like a Zed can but can also have some form of supernatural vision like that of Daredevil, get a +5-10% bonus to tracking by smell, and have exceptional hearing

* Creapers/Twisters: these individuals were contortionists which gives them an exceptionally flexible & nimble body. their PP would be a minimum of 16. they can climb ladders, fences, down pipes, power polls. they can summersault and flip. they also have an innate skill of Escape Artist with an initial bonus. this skill increases each year the Zed lives
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

darkanx wrote:I like them all. I already see using screamers in my game. Have some lady crawl out, scream, shattering windows around her and summoning the others, unfortunately they come crawling through the glass, creating shard zombies. Could easily do two versions of her, a normal and supernatural.

Twisters sound fun. Tho I think they would make a neat supernatural zombie. Basically a zombie that is all like "screw my joints", twisting and popping bones out of place to do impossible things. Super good at grapples and has Escape Artist to get out of bad holds.

thanks mate.

i really like the random ability table for Zeds and my first attempt towards the list was the Siren, Bat, & Twister....ill try and think of some more

what did you think of the stand alone sup nat Zed 'Stalker'
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

Darkanx created the cool Shard Zed (already started using it)

here is a supernatural version. Like the Stalker, this Zed is based on a real world medical condition

Name: Spikey / Sticks ??

Prior to the wave this unfortunate soul suffered from a condition called Paget's Disease. A quick description is - Abnormal bone remodeling causing progressive, sometimes painful bone deformities.

when the Wave hit it, it supercharged the condition giving the Zed:
* an increased SDC (i imagine their heads being reinforced with thick bone, like a male silverback gorilla who has a 2 inch thick skull)
* bone spikes/horns have broken through the skin all over their body (these are always present)
* on top of their always present spikes/horns. when food is around the Zed can instinctively create 1D4+1 bone weapons over their body (imagine wolverines bone claws) eg - a large heel spike, or elbow spike, or forearm spurs, or shin spurs etc. increasing damage to their strikes
when the food has gone these weapons absorb back into the body
connecting the dots
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

darkanx wrote:Sounds quite good. Ever hear of the X-Men character "Marrow"? Pretty much her mutant power. She butted heads with Wolverine a lot -- was basically a female version of him. But yeah, sounds like a good 2nd wave zombie. :)

Later this week I think I should have a solid day or two to write all these up in the netbook.

the name sounds familiar but i didnt know her powers. i just took an existing medical condition and added a supernatural spin to it

good luck with the write up. hope my DR material helps.

im out of ideas at the moment, i will have to charge the imagination batteries
connecting the dots
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

like the list with the different perks, i had an idea that if certine types of zombies that as time passed they would get different abilities. or that if they get injured they could have the same thing happen. an example would be ur fighting a group of flesheaters and one or two of them survive and got away they could after they ate they would have some random abilities like extra armor or more powerful claws. that would keep the pcs on there toes.
krispy
Hero

Unread post by krispy »

i think it would be quite terrifying if in the 2nd Wave a Zed develops the hypnotizing gaze similar to what the Rifts Vampires have
connecting the dots
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

poke anyone out there with some new zed ideas

Return to “Dead Reign™”