BOV- Bug Out Vehicles

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gamer
Adventurer

Re: BOV- Bug Out Vehicles

Unread post by Gamer »

Heavy duty off road with O-R trailer as primary.
Mountain bike as a last ditch got to go with BOB packs already mounted as a secondary only.

Why the Off Road trailer, to carry more ammo for the latest in anti-zombie weaponry :lol:
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Rhomphaia wrote:
Luckluster wrote:
airdale91 wrote:With the talk about BOB's- Bug Out Bags, got me thinking about vehicles. So the question is, what would be your ideal "Pre-Wave" vehicle? I'm taking about a street legal, driving down the road and not giving the police a reason to pull you over....

This would be a vehicle that could already have stuff kept in it, but just needed to be changed out every so often: ie.. Food, clothes, survival gear, basic auto parts and fluids, tool kits, etc...

Let the creativity begin.... :)

Good idea! Personally I would use a bicycle. I commute by bicycle now and have it fitted with saddle bags plus a toolbox. I think it would be the best rout. they are a versatile machine that never runs out of fuel! They are easy to maintain and are all terrain. There are some limitations but all around good set of wheels to bug out of somewhere. Quiet too!

One big, BIG limitation of bikes, which is a hefty reality in a bug-out situation (especially so if you have been out in the field for a while) is that their effectiveness is severely affected by injury and fatigue. Bikes are a rock-solid backup vehicle, but I wouldn't rely on one as my primary.

My ideal primary vehicle would be something along the lines of the older jeeps or the model of Subaru that the Outback was based on (converted to off-roading). The vehicles are fairly small and agile, and able to run off road without much concern. Jeeps have the added bonus of easy additions for gear like winches and extra gas cans.

Yeah driving my wife's subaru forester, I'd have to say that my ideal would probably be a newer Forester with some modifications.

Without armoring it up at all, I'd replace all of the glass with lexan/poly carbonate. In the original thickness of the glass it won't really be bullet proof, well it might stop a low caliber round or some light buckshot, but it is shatter proof and I doubt a zombie would be able to knock out the pane. Tow winch front and rear. Push bars front and rear. Rally lights plus side view mirror spot lights. Bike rack on top (I'd keep one in the trunk as well with the wheel off, but a ready bike on the top or even a light motorbike). Secondary fuel tank internal in the trunk area (probably just 10 gallons). Secondary battery also located in the rear. Heavier duty alternator. Slight lift, maybe 2 inches and an underbody 3/16" steel skid plate to protect the undercarriage and lower the center of gravity. Maybe a steel grill with louvers to help protect the radiator. Probably upgrade the differentials as well with locking differential if that is possible, or at least LSD/Viscous differentials. I forget the setup on the current Forester, but I think it is a viscous front differential, a viscious center and an open rear differential.

There is plenty of space for 5 people (if they are friends) and enough trunk space even with the modifications to fit plenty of bug out gear and leater savenged stuff. Good off road capability, especially with a slight lift and a skid plate. Better than most SUVs and significantly better road handling and mileage.

It'd be tight with my wife and kids, but could manage. If it was just me it would basically be a palace.
-Matt
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Bikes of any sort are not the initial get out of dodge faster or easier miracle transport the zombie survival guide wants you to believe, they are going to be targets of opportunity for the ever growing desperate horde especially those in dense urban gridlocked areas.
You will not be moving faster or any easier than the ever growing panicked horde on foot as 9-11 proved that in the gridlocks there.
You will become more vulnerable as the desperation grows within the panicked horde.
You cannot and will not be able to defend yourself when you are ambushed by the desperate for your 'ride' as you are too busy handling your bike either riding or walking/carrying it.
You also have to maneuver your bike to open gates, doors, an what not to get through if the route is blocked.
Me and my heavy vehicle are not stopping for gates, fences, doors, yards, greenhouses, shopping malls, warehouses, the parked car or truck, you on your Schwinn, and I know it isn't going to stop anyone else here taking a good sized off road vehicle either, they will be making their own path to heck with the roads and when they do that it will become monkey see, monkey do.

A reinforced cattleguard with winch should be on the front of such vehicles so you can easily do such things with no danage to your vehicle, the winch is to help you extract your vehicle if you get it stuck out in the boonies or to rip a heavy gate/door off its hinges.
Proper planning prevents **** poor performance as I was always told in the military.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

A baja racer would be great since they can take a huge pounding and if you didnt rod the hell out of them like they do in the race they should last forever. Taking to ditches or jumping curbs to get around traffic jams would be a cakewalk.

Diesel would be better than gas for fuel economy but gas is more common for siphoning out of other vehicles for the first months after an apocalypse.

And yes they can be street legal.

Toss a 150cc dirtbike in the back along with all the fuel you can accommodate and you have an even more nimble option. Hang a bicycle on the back and you have a silent option for recon and resupply.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

At that point who the heck cares what would or wouldn't be street legal.
I'd take a big T-282B mining truck to get out of dodge if need be, nothing short of heavy weaponry would slow me down.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Gamer wrote:At that point who the heck cares what would or wouldn't be street legal.
I'd take a big T-282B mining truck to get out of dodge if need be, nothing short of heavy weaponry would slow me down.
Little hard to get that in the garage and there are lots of underpasses that you couldn't fit under either. Plus the fuel use would be incredible you would constantly be trying to find enough diesel to keep her going.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

azazel1024
Champion

Thinyser wrote:A baja racer would be great since they can take a huge pounding and if you didnt rod the hell out of them like they do in the race they should last forever. Taking to ditches or jumping curbs to get around traffic jams would be a cakewalk.

Diesel would be better than gas for fuel economy but gas is more common for siphoning out of other vehicles for the first months after an apocalypse.

Toss a 150cc dirtbike in the back along with all the fuel you can accommodate and you have an even more nimble option. Hang a bicycle on the back and you have a silent option for recon and resupply.

Pretty much what I was picturing turning something like a Subie Outback or Forester in to.
-Matt
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Obviously, this vehicle.

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

azazel1024 wrote:
Thinyser wrote:A baja racer would be great since they can take a huge pounding and if you didnt rod the hell out of them like they do in the race they should last forever. Taking to ditches or jumping curbs to get around traffic jams would be a cakewalk.

Pretty much what I was picturing turning something like a Subie Outback or Forester in to.
-Matt

While Subaru's are great (and I'll vouch for this personally since I've owned an "05 WRX STi) they are not really easy to upgrade to Baja 1000 racer standards. Plus their full time all wheel drive system is more trouble to fix if it breaks than the normal rear wheel drive setup most Baja trucks use.

Baja trucks depend on momentum and suspension travel to get through/over obstacles rather than 4 wheel traction at slower speeds. While I'm sure there are some suspension upgrades available for the Forester there is a problem with all wheel drives and getting lots of suspension travel out of that kind of set up... at least without major modification.

Give me a Baja truck that can take a curb at 100 MPH or a ditch at 60 MPH than a Subaru at 10 an 25-30 respectively any day.

Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

CyCo wrote:Obviously, this vehicle.

8p

:lol:

azazel1024
Champion

Thinyser wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:

-Matt

While Subaru's are great (and I'll vouch for this personally since I've owned an "05 WRX STi) they are not really easy to upgrade to Baja 1000 racer standards. Plus their full time all wheel drive system is more trouble to fix if it breaks than the normal rear wheel drive setup most Baja trucks use.

Baja trucks depend on momentum and suspension travel to get through/over obstacles rather than 4 wheel traction at slower speeds. While I'm sure there are some suspension upgrades available for the Forester there is a problem with all wheel drives and getting lots of suspension travel out of that kind of set up... at least without major modification.

Give me a Baja truck that can take a curb at 100 MPH or a ditch at 60 MPH than a Subaru at 10 an 25-30 respectively any day.

Well, if you are bombing along. Going that fast is going to make a lot of noise and attract a lot of undead attention though. Baja vehicles are also designed to tackle open terrain at high speed. Not areas that are built up heavily such as urban landscapes or gulleys, forests, etc. So you probably would need AWD or 4WD in a lot of cases still.
-Matt
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

azazel1024 wrote:
Thinyser wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:

-Matt

Well, if you are bombing along. Going that fast is going to make a lot of noise and attract a lot of undead attention though. Baja vehicles are also designed to tackle open terrain at high speed. Not areas that are built up heavily such as urban landscapes or gulleys, forests, etc. So you probably would need AWD or 4WD in a lot of cases still.
-Matt

I live in eastern South Dakota. Open land is the name of the game here.

The most worrisome thing going overland would be barb-wire fences. Which at slow speeds will get snagged and possibly wrap an axle causing major problems but if you have some sort of a V-toothed bar at the front and are going fast enough (AKA 1/2 baja racer speeds or greater) they would go into the V's and that would weaken them at the spot caught in the V so they snap there and go to either side of the vehicle.

I just want to be able to parallel roads in the ditches and still make good time. A Baja truck can keep up with interstate speed traffic even if they are 30 feet over in the ditch next to the road (or up in the open field on the other side of the fence). If a person really wanted the extra weight and maintenance that goes with a 4x4 it would still be possible to have a huge suspension travel Baja type setup just with far more cost and labor involved than a 2WD setup. Personally I'd rely on a good winch and snow chains to get me through areas that require more traction than what a Baja setup could normally offer.

Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Thinyser wrote:
Gamer wrote:At that point who the heck cares what would or wouldn't be street legal.
Little hard to get that in the garage and there are lots of underpasses that you couldn't fit under either. Plus the fuel use would be incredible you would constantly be trying to find enough diesel to keep her going.

I said "if need be", if I'm stuck in town I know were to go to get one and some of it's little brothers here and I'm getting home which is out of town and in the nearby mountains and up here are bulldozers and other heavy logging gear to get rid off all the pine beetle ridden trees of which seems to be endless.
What happens to the truck after I'm near home means nothing to me.
I don't plan on having an ultimate ride only temporary means of travel for the task at hand.
All vehicles we have to choose from will have good and bad points, there is no ultimate ride.
It's not about the ride to me anyways it's about the route.
If I'm in town I'll be taking the railroad tracks as most have gone unused for years and the ones in town are rarely used by the mine, it gets me out of town without running into any congested traffic, so the odds of me needing any extreme ride is very remote anyways.

azazel1024 wrote:Well, if you are bombing along. Going that fast is going to make a lot of noise and attract a lot of undead attention though. Baja vehicles are also designed to tackle open terrain at high speed. Not areas that are built up heavily such as urban landscapes or gulleys, forests, etc. So you probably would need AWD or 4WD in a lot of cases still.
-Matt

I'll take power over speed, which means if I was to want a truggy it would be a rock crawler over a baja racer, I want to haul gear to survive not win races.
Screaming through the countryside especially countryside you don't know is a good way to get killed quick.
Besides taking such custom vehicles is just as bad as taking most of the APCs, you still need the specialized parts to keep them moving and they suck down fuel as well.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
azazel1024
Champion

They'd maybe be good for pushing through obstacles, but armored cars have basically zero off road capability. They are way to heavy without decent enough traction, suspension travel, center of gravity etc. Heck they are so heavy the body tends to wear out the chasis/frame within 7-10 years. Just pick the body up off the chassis/frame and place it on a new one. Most even new armored cars are utilizing a body off an older one. They get reused sometimes 3 or 4 times before finally going to the scrap heap. An armored car would probably start breaking things within minutes of trying to pound around in some serious off roading.

Now one of the light wheeled APCs that police departments use, like a cadillac gauge or something similar, now that would be sweet as most are designed for off roading and tackling obsticals. At least at first, fuel and noise would be an issue later (not quite and very high fuel consumption compared to even a heavy SUV, but a lot less than a tracked APC/tank), but you could store it somewhere hidden as your raiding vehicle.
-Matt
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

I'd say that some of these post are missing the point of the OP... at least as I see it.

To me a "Bug Out Vehicle" is just like a "Bug Out Bag" in that you have to have it at the start of the crisis not appropriate it later like you would a huge mining dump truck or Brink's style armored van.

Its a vehicle that you could have in your garage waiting to be driven away at a moments notice, the same you would with a BOB.

And when I talk about a Baja racer I'm not necessarily talking about a million dollar, one off, everything hand built, Super truck for the "trophy truck" class (though those would fit in your garage so if you had the $ and or time to build one I suppose would qualify as a BOV). I'm talking about a vehicle that starts with a good base vehicle ($10,00-$40000) and a bit of coin ($30,000 to $50,000) in modifications could be a contender in the lower baja classes with a total investment of $40k-$90k. Here is a "Call for price" racer listed as well as a 4 seat "pre runner" vehicle listed for $110,000.

That 4 seater pre runner would be cool to have too since you could take 3 other people and likely there is at least some storage in the back and one could strap some light items like clothes and some light camping gear to the roof and still go over overland or follow train tracks like it was just a bumpy gravel road.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

BOV an F-450 King Ranch with a Boss Super-V Plow an a camper shell.

Our post wave vehicle was a HEAVILY modified U-HAUL my completed designes had a snow blower plow with reinforced blades, the duct removed and the underside made to redirect the gore into the middle. The tires are changed with Self inflating tires. The body and windows "up armored". The rear door replaced with a drop down vehicle ramp style door with a smaller door build in the middle of that with auto retracting steps. The inside has a large freezer a barbecue, a gun safe, a medication safe, a generator with the exhaust ducted outside, a fuel drum for the generator. Wire racks on both sides to store a bunch of stuff with several LED screens, the rear seat of an explorer is bolted toward the front for the kids to sit on and play games or watch movies on the large LCD screen in the "mom's attic" the electric HMVEE turret on top of the reinforced cargo area sports a couple guns. The LEDs on the wire racks act as doors to secure the racks but also are set up as intell and 3C equipment. On one side the 7 cameras in bullet proof glass housings and the two on the under carrage are monitored on the other side the 8 helmet cameras for our group are monitored. Between the two are two programmer's seats (with keyboard and track ball mounted to the arm rests. The two chairs slide around on a rail system and can lock so they don't move. Now this may seem a bit rediculous but in our game there are no havens and tons of death cultists and one super trained (in multiple MOS's or rather in this guys case AFSC's) that has it out for us. There are other vehicles in the convoy one other had a turret. One of my more recent thoughts was that we could make a mobile haven using the U.S. rail system.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

azazel1024 wrote:They'd maybe be good for pushing through obstacles, but armored cars have basically zero off road capability. They are way to heavy without decent enough traction, suspension travel, center of gravity etc. Heck they are so heavy the body tends to wear out the chasis/frame within 7-10 years. Just pick the body up off the chassis/frame and place it on a new one. Most even new armored cars are utilizing a body off an older one. They get reused sometimes 3 or 4 times before finally going to the scrap heap. An armored car would probably start breaking things within minutes of trying to pound around in some serious off roading.

Now one of the light wheeled APCs that police departments use, like a cadillac gauge or something similar, now that would be sweet as most are designed for off roading and tackling obsticals. At least at first, fuel and noise would be an issue later (not quite and very high fuel consumption compared to even a heavy SUV, but a lot less than a tracked APC/tank), but you could store it somewhere hidden as your raiding vehicle.
-Matt

Which is why I'd take the M1117 over any useless baja racer Grand theft auto wanna be car.
It's no noisier that any other other regular vehicle and that is a fact.

There is no true ideal vehicle never was never will be, they will always be nothing more than modes of transporations of the moment.
The only thing that comes close to an ideal vehicle in a post apocalyptic world is a horse.
No other vehicle can learn tricks, come when called, drive itself when you are no longer able to, defend itself or you, alert you to danger, is amphibious, able to reproduce, doesn't need special fuel and is a food source itself.

I'll take what vehicles I know is in my area and I know I can operate if I needed to over pipe dream $90k+ offroad racer that nobody here could afford and if they could they certainly wouldn't be here in these forums with the rest of us especially at this time of year when they should be out ripping up the country side with it.
I sure as hell wouldn't be here, not by a long shot.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Thinyser
Knight
~George Carlin

Gamer wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:They'd maybe be good for pushing through obstacles, but armored cars have basically zero off road capability. They are way to heavy without decent enough traction, suspension travel, center of gravity etc. Heck they are so heavy the body tends to wear out the chasis/frame within 7-10 years. Just pick the body up off the chassis/frame and place it on a new one. Most even new armored cars are utilizing a body off an older one. They get reused sometimes 3 or 4 times before finally going to the scrap heap. An armored car would probably start breaking things within minutes of trying to pound around in some serious off roading.

-Matt

Which is why I'd take the M1117 over any useless baja racer Grand theft auto wanna be car.

There is no true ideal vehicle never was never will be, they will always be nothing more than modes of transporations of the moment.
The only thing that comes close to an ideal vehicle in a post apocalyptic world is a horse.
No other vehicle can learn tricks, come when called, drive itself when you are no longer able to, defend itself or you, alert you to danger, is amphibious, able to reproduce, doesn't need special fuel and is a food source itself.

I'll take what vehicles I know is in my area and I know I can operate if I needed to over pipe dream $90k+ offroad racer that nobody here could afford and if they could they certainly wouldn't be here in these forums with the rest of us especially at this time of year when they should be out ripping up the country side with it.

Says the person who wanted a 29 foot wide, 24 foot tall, 3750 horse power, 260 TON (+400 TON capacity), $3-5 million "largest dump-truck in the world" that wont fit on some roads because its too wide or under underpasses because its too tall or over overpasses because it would crush them... yeah that would be my choice too. :roll:

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Gamer wrote:

-Matt

So why not one of the many versions of the M1126 it is as fast carries more people and has 8 wheels so if one blows and won't reinflate you won't be too bad off.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

A Jeep!
They can't see me...Right!?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Ubiquity wrote:
Luckluster wrote:Also, if you happen to live by a large river and or a lake as I do, a boat could be a good bug out vehicle too!

I didn't really think about that. Granted, I live in Denver, so besides the Platte River and Cherry Creek there isn't much in the way of bodies of water, though taking a boat to the middle of Cherry Creek Reservoir til things mellow on land a bit (i.e., most have fallen and no one is gonna try and swipe your boat) isn't a bad idea...

FOR THE WIN if you live near a good sized body of water/river!!! ;)

EXCEPT in order to keep from drifting back to land while your sleeping and becoming dinner you'd have to use an anchor which in larger ships will provide an entry point but in smaller boats provide a way for the zombies to pull the boat down or to the shore. Then again I can't remember if zombies don't go in water or just can't swim. If the first... you win, if the second... your still screwed.
azazel1024
Champion

A little of both.

The books, especially the latest one, seems to imply that regular zombies don't really go traipsing around under the water, and deffinitely can't swim. However, the main book does have a random scenario here a car is sunk in a big pond/lake and there are zombies surrounding it with their hands sticking out of the water (but can't get on top to the people there). That could be more of an isolated "the zombies see their food clearly and it is close" scenario than anything.

The recent book has floaters/swimmers that are basically crawlers, but can swim across the top of the water. If they get submerged they sink (can't swim to the surface) and have to crawl along the bottom. These are the guys I would most worry about finding my anchor chain. The thing is though, put a nice anti-rat funnel on the anchor chain, one big enough that you can't reach around as a human/zombie and it'll prevent them from climbing it.

In a river with any kind of real current though and the floaters/swimmers probably wouldn't be able to get to your boat unless there was a lot of luck involved. A pond, stream, small lake and they might be able to. A really big lake (say one of the great lakes, or something where you are a mile plus from shore), larger river, ocean, sea, etc and the odds that a zombie is going to find your anchor chain to climb it, could swim out for floaters/swimmers or would even take much notice of your boat (so long as you weren't on deck and in visible/life sensing range of the zombies) is pretty darned miniscule.

I wouldn't say want to float along in a zodiak or row boat, but any resonable sized sail boat or motorboat with the ladder up out of the water and no wet well deck should be pretty safe.
-Matt
-Matt
Arnie100
Knight

Unread post by Arnie100 »

How's about an MRAP if you're lucky enough to come across one? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRAP_(armored_vehicle)

Or an MRAP-ATV?

http://www.oshkoshdefense.com/defense/p ... v~home.cfm
They can't see me...Right!?
azazel1024
Champion

So its not a standard ambulance? Because if it is, off road capablity is not high on their list (my friend drives a bus as a volunteer EMS for a local fire company).
King Newt
Wanderer

Unread post by King Newt »

Personally I would want a diesel pickup with crew cab so I could get my family in. 4x4 a must. Or if I could get it a nice wrecker 4x4. I worked for a company that had a 4x4 wrecker with crew cab and diesel. Nice ride. Somewhat decent gas mileage considering the size. Just my opinion though.

The reality of it would likely be.....if the zombie apocalypse thing did happen would likely be my 4x4 blazer or Buick Lesaber but more than likely the blazer
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

azazel1024 wrote:So its not a standard ambulance? Because if it is, off road capablity is not high on their list (my friend drives a bus as a volunteer EMS for a local fire company).

We have them here in Oz. They tend to be used further out from the main cities, but they do exist.

linkage.

We also have Toyota Land Cruisers fitted out as ambulances, these tend to be used in bush/beach rescue scenarios.

linkage the second.

There are even a few Toyota Land Cruisers in 6x6 capacity. One pictured is obviously a ESU with a box van rear, but I've seen them in a 'standard' 'troopy' layout fitted with a stretcher and all the kit. Again, mainly used way out bush.

linkage the third.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Tank/Submarine. does it get any better?

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/03/submarine-with.php
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
azazel1024
Champion

It is one of the most common, and certainly the most common V8 in the US. Honestly, consider the sales, I'd say that the B16/B18 series of motors (Civic and Integra over the years), or whatever the engine is in the Corrolla and I4 Camry (don't remember the name) is probably actually the most common engine in the US. The 350 would be up there, certainly top 5 or 10 though. Deffinitely the most common for repair parts at auto parts stores.
azazel1024
Champion

Except let it run out of fuel after a couple of days.

Return to “Dead Reign™”