Vehicle Contents!

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tearstone
Adventurer

Vehicle Contents!

Unread post by Tearstone »

In the world of a zombie apocalypse, abandoned vehicles can be an oasis of supplies in the middle of nowhere, or even in the middle of somewhere. Once people realized what was going on, many people are likely to gather what supplies they can and get a move on to an isolated area, or some place they think they can make a stand. At any rate, I tried to think of just about anything you might expect to find, but the chances of finding all of it, or even a lot of it is unlikely.

Much like the Station and Station Contents generator tables presented, I decided to put this together, and take into consideration what all you might find in certain vehicles. This can be used in conjunction with some of the other tables, like that for the station, if you wish to flesh out what might be found in the vehicles present on location.

Vehicles do present a danger though. More than a few vehicles may be home to dormant zombies as they were unable to free themselves from the insides of the cars. GM's, it is suggested that you might use this as an interesting twist to an inviting situation. Vehicles may also present interesting trap opportunities for zombies wishing to lure in survivors, or an obstacle for survivors trying to get at potential goods and supplies. *wicked grin*

Due to the size of this article/generator/table it will have to be in installments

Note: Sub-compact and compact cars are not included, but the sedan or motorcycle tables could be used in place.

Condition
01-25 Undamaged, perfect driving condition
26-50 Lightly damaged, still drivable. Vehicle has a 15% chance of breaking down and becoming un-drivable every d6 miles.
51-75 Moderately damaged, mostly drivable. Vehicle has a 30% chance of breaking down and becoming un-drivable every d4 miles.
76-95 Heavily damaged, barely drivable. Vehicle has 60% chance of breaking down and becoming un-drivable every 2 miles.
96-00 Vehicle is a total loss and is un-drivable. This may be due to it being completely wrecked, burned out, or have major parts missing or damaged beyond repair.

GM should roll percentile dice to determine amount of fuel left in the gas tank for each vehicle.

Vehicle Type
Roll once on the following table to determine the type of vehicle.

01-05 Car, Compact
06-10 Car, Full-Size
11-15 Car, Intermediate
16-20 Car, Police Cruiser
21-25 Car, Racing
26-30 Car, Sub-Compact
31-35 Minivan
36-40 Motorcycle, Passenger
41-45 Motorcycle, Racing
46-50 Truck, Ambulance
51-55 Truck, Armored Carrier
56-60 Truck, Fire
61-65 Truck, Half-Ton
66-70 Truck, Intermediate
71-75 Truck, One Ton
76-80 Truck, Semi, No Trailer OR Truck, Tow
81-85 Truck, Semi, With Trailer
86-90 Truck, Sport Utility
91-95 Truck, Three-Quarter Ton
96-00 Van, Delivery

For all civilian vehicles produced in the last 10 years airbags are pretty much standard, does not apply to motorcycles though.
1-25% airbag not deployed (if wrecked. GM/Demolitions note: All airbags have a small plastic explosive charge that is used to deploy the safety device. This may be harvested and used to blast small things like door locks, or to set off greater explosives, or may be saved up and combined for larger charges.)

Please note the Truck or SUV table may be considered appropriate for a Jeep, Tracker or other 4x4 drive vehicle of the same size. Sedan may be also used

For a Police Supervisor vehicle double the availability of items and the Police Cruiser table is appropriate, may have extra water, food/rations, some blankets, 2 medical kits, extra survival pack, otherwise fairly similar.

Truck Contents Table
1-30% 2d12 cans of beer or 1d4 bottles hard liquor
1-15% 1d6 cans dip/snuff/chewing tobacco
1-50% chance 1d4 spare tires in back
1-15% handgun - no extra ammo
1-20% 1d4 quarts oil
1-25% 1d4 pints brake fluid
1-30% 1d4 quarts transmission fluid
1-40% 1d6 pieces of clothing
1-60% 1d6 magazines (publications, not for weapons)
1-55% multi-tool/leatherman
1-30% drugs in vehicle, GM Discretion as to what and how much
1-30% chance of gloves
1-10% chance of welding rig, acetylene torch (for cutting or welding)
1-5% chance extinguisher on board
1-40% chance 2d4 bottles of water
1-30% chance 1d4 boxes of food (canned goods, dry rations, etc)
1-25% hunting rifle located, 1d10 shots, 5d6 damage
1-20% pump shotgun, fully loaded
1-30% box of 3d6 shotgun shells
1-15% box of 2d6 rifle rounds
1-15% box of 4d6 pistol rounds
1-10% laptop available
1-15% 1d6 5-gallon gas tanks (roll percentile for each tank for amount of fuel)
1-10% machete
1-30% 1d4 survival packs (first aid, flashlight, compass, lighter(1d4), matches (1d4 small boxes/books), nylon cord, good survival knife or multi-tool, canteen, collapsible cup, utensils, 50' rope, poncho, blanket, steel wool & 9v battery (alternate for fire starting), magnesium fire starters (1d4), 1d6 chlorine water treatment tabs, sunscreen, signal mirror, fishing line & hook, 1d4 signal flares, insect repellent, small box of earplugs, deck of cards
1-5% portable CD player
1-25% 2d6 batteries (AA, AAA, C, or D batteries)
1-35% baseball bat
1-40% crowbar (pry-bar my also be present)
1-35% heavy chain
1-40% tire iron
1-50% shovel
1-35% axe
1-50% other assorted tools
1-30% on-board CB radio 40 mile range
1-30% GPS unit (1-50% still works!!!) 1-35% removable/not built-in
1-50% cell phone (functional, may need charged, no network service)
1-20% pair of sunglasses
1-5% pack of smokes (roll d20 for number left)
1-10% 1d4 power tools and 1d4 50' sections of extention cord
1-50% jumper cables
1-5% deck of cards
1-25% bicycle (perhaps more than one)
1-45% 1d6 rolls duct tape
1-20% climbing kit
1-20% binoculars
1-10% 1d4 fishing poles and tackle box
1d3% compound bow or crossbow and 2d10 arrows or quarrels/bolts (crossbows may handle either)
1-40% hammer – claw, mallet, mini-sledge 1d6 damage (+2 damage for mini-sledge)
1-20% sledgehammer 2d8 damage
1-10% digital voice recorder, battery powered
1-10% 1 to 8 gb SD or Micro-SD card (who knows what's on 'em! GM's, have fun!)
1-20% briefcase
1-40% local maps or Atlas

The SUV table is very similar to the Truck. Some things have been altered or removed, and a few things added. Truck is acceptable alternative.

Sport Utility Vehicle Contents Table
1-15% 1d6 cans dip/snuff/chewing tobacco
1-30% 2d12 cans of beer or 1d4 bottles hard liquor
1-50% chance spare tire
1-10% handgun - no extra ammo
1-20% 1d4 quarts oil
1-40% 2d12 pieces of clothing
1-60% 1d6 magazines (publications, not for guns)
1-30% drugs in vehicle, GM Discretion as to what and how much
1-30% chance of gloves
1-40% chance 2d4 bottles of water
1-30% chance 1d4 boxes of food (canned goods, dry rations, etc)
1-15% hunting rifle, 1d10 shots, 5d6 damage
1-15% pump shotgun, fully loaded
1-30% box of 3d6 shotgun shells
1-25% box of 2d6 rifle rounds
1-15% box of 4d6 pistol rounds
1-10% laptop available
1-15% 1d6 5-gallon gas tanks (roll percentile for each tank for amount of fuel)
1-10% machete
1-30% 1d4 survival packs (contents, or variations there of, listed in Truck section)
1-25% 2d6 batteries (AA, AAA, C, or D batteries)
1-35% baseball bat
1-40% crowbar (pry-bar my also be present)
1-35% heavy chain
1-40% tire iron
1-5% other assorted tools
1-10% on-board CB radio 40 mile range
1-30% GPS unit (1-50% still works!!!)
1-40% cell phone (functional, may need charged, no network service)
1-20% pair of sunglasses
1-5% pack of smokes (roll d20 for number left)
1-50% jumper cables
1-5% deck of cards
1-30% 1d4 rolls duct tape
1-15% climbing kit
1-25% binoculars
1-10% 1d4 fishing rods and tackle box
1-3% compound bow or crossbow 2d10 arrows or quarrels/bolts (crossbows may handle either)
1-10% hammer – claw, mallet, mini-sledge 1d6 damage (+2 damage for mini-sledge)
1-20% briefcase

Sedan Contents Table
1-75% spare tire in trunk
1-25% 2d12 cans of beer or 1d4 bottles of hard liquor
1-25% handgun, 1-20% 1d4 extra mags
1-40% 2d6 pieces of clothing
1-10% drugs in vehicle, GM's discretion
1-40% 1d4 bottles of water
1-35% box or two of food/rations
1-10% pump shotgun, fully loaded
1-10% box of 3d6 shotgun shells
1-10% box of 1d5x10 pistol rounds
1-20% laptop
1-20% 1d4 2-gallon gas tanks
1-5% machete or sword
1-20% 1 or 2 survival packs
1-15% 1d4 batteries
1-45% GPS unit (1-50% still working) 1-20% removable/not built-in
1-25% cell phone
1-40% sunglasses
1-15% pack smokes (roll D20 for remaining number)
1-25% jumper cables
1-5% binoculars
1-20% briefcase

Motorcycles are meant to be fast, nimble vehicles with light loads. This is true even of some of the biggest cruisers on the road. These tables may apply to anything from a partially modified dirt bike or racing bike, to some of the heaviest cruisers. Note that dirt bikes are likely to have only small items, even if modified with added bags, but rifles and shotguns are possible with holsters similar to that which were used by cowboys and horsemen.

Motorcycle Contents Table
1-45% handgun, 1-20% 1d4 extra mags
1-30% shotgun or rifle, fully loaded
1-10% machete
1-20% 2d6 shotgun shells or rifle rounds
1-5% extra 2-gallon gas tank
1-40% drugs, likely crystal meth (mostly applicable to cruiser bikes, not sport bikes)
1-20% mp3 player w/ ear buds
1-20% tire iron or baseball bat
1-30% roll of duct tape
1-5% binoculars
1-15% pint flask, roll percentile for remainder, contains hard liquor
1-20% sunglasses
1-10% pack smokes (roll d20 for remaining cigs)
1-5% 1d4 cans dip/snuff/chewing tobacco

Police Car/Supervisor SUV
1-50% Shotgun
1-25% M-16 or M-4 patrol rifle
1-30% 1 or 2 extra handguns, likely 9mm or .45
1-40% 1d4 handcuffs
1-50% 1d4 mace cans
1-30% 1d4 spare walkie-talkie radios
1-50% 1 or 2 sets Kevlar body armor in trunk (Vest: A.R. 10, S.D.C. 50; 10 lbs (4.5 kg) )
1-30% extra tazer
1-45% medical bag
1-20% 1 survival pack
1-40% handcuff/restraint grade zip-ties
1-20% field drug-test kit
1-30% 2 extra heavy duty flashlights, 1d4 damage improvised weapon
1-40% 2d4 spare batteries (C size)
1-75% laptop
1-75% on-board police/emergency services band radio (if roll is failed, was ripped out/removed)
1-50% latex or vinyl gloves
1-30% bolt cutters (supervisor only)
1-25% 1d4 rolls duct tape
1-30% climbing kit

First Responders are combination law enforcement officer and emergency medical technicians. Due to events like the 45 minute shoot out in Hollywood, school shootings, and terrorist attacks, they may have to respond with deadly force. Most times they are the first officials to arrive on scene at wrecks, and civil emergencies, rendering aid to the injured and beginning triage. First responders can often mean the difference between life and death for the injured and incapacitated. Their SUV's are often used as ambulances, especially when there are too many casualties or patients for the ambulances that responded to the situation to carry. A First Responder can fit 2 patients laying flat, maybe three or four with a tight squeeze and some of them sitting up.

First Responder SUV
1-5% pack of cigs (1d20 for amount left)
1-25% handgun, likely 9mm or .45, 1-20% 1d4 extra magazines
1-30% extra tazer
1-25% M-16 patrol rifle, 1-35% 1d2 extra magazines
1-25% Kevlar body armor Vest: A.R. 10, S.D.C. 50; 10 lbs
1-60% 1d4 cuffs and 1d10 zipties
1-60% top of the line medical kit, double supplies, includes entubation setup and bag breather and braces
1-50% rescue tool – hardened bottom for breaking windows, blade for cutting seatbelts and other items
1-75% multi-tool/leatherman
1-45% field drug-test kit
1-25% gas mask
1-40% 1d4 heavy duty flashlights, 2d4 spare C size batteries
1-65% laptop
1-40% 1d4 spare walkie-talkies
1-45% Defibrillator
1-30% bolt cutters
1-50% 2d8 road flares
1-45% climbing kit
1-65% 1d4 emergency blankets
1-45% 1d4 extra emergency ponchos/parkas
Last edited by Tearstone on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If I quote you, you will get spell-checked.
Tearstone
Adventurer

Re: Vehicle Contents!

Entertainment!!

This section is included as music and entertainment have been part of mankind's nature. Another reason to include this is for psychological survival. Boredom is a great enemy. It causes you to get lazy, careless, unfocused. But also any entertainment would be welcome from the monotony of dealing with zombies. Music or movies on headphones would help drown out the constant moans of a group of zombies milling around a fortified location.

1-75% chance assorted CD's - 2d12 CD's - 1d10 determination for genres
-1, rock
-2, country
-3, rap/hip-hop
-4, metal (death, heavy, hate, etc)
-5, tejano
-6, pop
-7, classic rock
-8, electronica
-9, any 2 styles
-10 any 3 styles

1-50% MP3 player present, 1-50% chance video capability, charger likely present
------1d10 determination for music genres
-1, rock
-2, country
-3, rap/hip-hop
-4, metal (death, heavy, hate, etc)
-5, tejano
-6, pop
-7, classic rock
-8, electronica
-9, any 2 styles
-10 any 3 styles
if MP3 player has vid capability roll 1d10 for number of movies or videos loaded

*** 1-25% fully charged, 26-50 half charged, 51-75% quarter charged, 76-00 drained
Roll d6 for storage size
1, 4 gb storage
2, 8 gb storage
3, 16 gb storage
4, 32 gb storage
5, 64 gb storage
6, 128 gb storage

Tearstone
Adventurer

For those of you that noticed that I included Cell phones and GPS units:

Cell Phones may be able to be used in fortified cities with communication services like Denver. Also some of the more advanced phones may be able to be converted to work from satelites. Satelite phones themselves are very rare, but they can be found, and the satelite network in orbit is still useful.

This is also true of GPS units. They can still communicate with GPS satelites in orbit and can continue to be useful for another 10 to 15 years or so. Some GPS units use inertial mapping, so even if the GPS satelites go down, these units can still provide coordinates, and accurate location without any input from orbit.

I didn't include car manuals simply for the fact that those should be in just about any responsible driver's vehicle, especially if it was made in the last ten years or so.

If you guys an girls can think of anything to add, feel free to do so, and please post them on the board as well! We can all benefit from it.

Feedback is appreciated.

Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

Not to harsh too much on your groove here, but I have some comments/suggestions:

1. How in the heck are we supposed to determine what's in a vehicle? Roll percentile dice for every item you have listed? That would make determining vehicle contents extremely lengthy and boring, and may turn a lot of GMs off from doing that. Is there any way you could potentially simplify the contents of the vehicles?

2. You missed a few styles of music. Namely Blues, Jazz, Bluegrass, Classical, Orchestral, and New Age. Not to mention books on cd, comedy cds, and pod-casts.

3. Really good information about the air bags, especially the tiny explosive charges that are used to deploy them. Not everyone knows this, but could be a great thing in a true survival situation.

4. As well with the GPS apps and devices found. Global Positioning should still technically work if the signal is being received from a satellite.

5. I'm not too sure on how prevalent CDs are going to be in cars. MP3 players, iPods, iPhones, cell phones with music playing capabilities, laptops, and satellite radio have made them pretty obsolete. I have a 6-disc in-dash changer in the car, but because I can plug my mp3 player into my radio I never use the CD player. Never have, and probably never will. In fact, once I put all of my existing CDs onto my computer and transferred them to my MP3 player, they have all been forgotten about. Any new music I need I just download.

Overall, I think the random lists are pretty good. A lot of the stuff you included is stuff that's in my own vehicle, but I wouldn't have even thought about checking a car for it in-game. The lists may need to be tweaked a little to make them more useful, especially on the fly when players come from left field and say "Well, we're holed up in this bookstore, but let's go across town and find some vehicles to loot". I'm not sure how you could alter them to make them easier, but my first instinct is to have an actual table that one rolls against, and then give the GM/player the option to roll up to x number of times on the table. Just a thought. :D
Tearstone
Adventurer

Well, as for the CD's and stuff, I may be a little old school. I use my MP3 player a lot, but until recently I also had a load of CD's that were usually in my car as well, and I used them. In another 2 years or so, I'm sure that CD's are going to be mostly obsolete, as they are nearly so now. However, in Dead Reign the internet is likely to be collapsing rapidly as nobody will be dedicated to maintaining the servers and computer farms and connections anymore. Sooo CD's are a good alternative to picking up music you don't have, copying them to a laptop and puting them on an MP3 player. Barring that you don't own those things, you could always use a personal CD player.

Sorry I missed those music types. The table should be easy enough to modify to add those though. Good catch!

Uh yes, so far rolling for those individual items is the only thing that I can really think of. I might be able to come up with an actual table, with time, that works well and might streamline the process some. I know I included a -lot- of items and possibility. For now I wanted to come up with a lot of options, and things you might find that could be potentially life-saving. As for streamlining it... that will be harder.

Also, coming soon - Watercraft Contents!

CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Actually incorrect with the airbags.

They used to use a form of explosive to inflate the airbags, but they found that the power and/or smoke from the explosive going off could cause cancer, and could be a hindrance to rescuers of people trapped in cars whose airbags haven't deployed. Also I think there was a public outcry/reaction to the use of explosives used in cars.

I think it was mid '80s when they changed from an explosive to a gas generator. It's still a chemical reaction, but nothing explosive. As for what type of gas, I think that depends on the country and manufacturer. Don't forget though that airbags have been around since somewhere around the early 70's, though I'd imagine that the explosive charge would have gone inert after all this time. After all, you don't want explosives used so close to your face & groin to contain unstable explosives.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

I hope you don't mind, but I tweaked your Condition and Vehicle Type tables.

Condition
01-25 Undamaged, perfect driving condition
26-50 Lightly damaged, still drivable. Vehicle has a 15% chance of breaking down and becoming un-drivable every d6 miles.
51-75 Moderately damaged, mostly drivable. Vehicle has a 30% chance of breaking down and becoming un-drivable every d4 miles.
76-95 Heavily damaged, barely drivable. Vehicle has 60% chance of breaking down and becoming un-drivable every 2 miles.
96-00 Vehicle is a total loss and is un-drivable. This may be due to it being completely wrecked, burned out, or have major parts missing or damaged beyond repair.

GM should roll percentile dice to determine amount of fuel left in the gas tank for each vehicle.

Vehicle Type
Roll once on the following table to determine the type of vehicle.

01-05 Car, Compact
06-10 Car, Full-Size
11-15 Car, Intermediate
16-20 Car, Police Cruiser
21-25 Car, Racing
26-30 Car, Sub-Compact
31-35 Minivan
36-40 Motorcycle, Passenger
41-45 Motorcycle, Racing
46-50 Truck, Ambulance
51-55 Truck, Armored Carrier
56-60 Truck, Fire
61-65 Truck, Half-Ton
66-70 Truck, Intermediate
71-75 Truck, One Ton
76-80 Truck, Semi, No Trailer OR Truck, Tow
81-85 Truck, Semi, With Trailer
86-90 Truck, Sport Utility
91-95 Truck, Three-Quarter Ton
96-00 Van, Delivery
Tearstone
Adventurer

Severus Snape wrote:I hope you don't mind, but I tweaked your Condition and Vehicle Type tables.

Oh not at all bud. I admit I did get a little lazy as I hadn't come up with transport vans, semi's, and work vehicles and the like. It would have been much more intensive and after about 10 hours of brain-storming here and there, it was starting to become a labor rather than a joy.

I figured I would come back for the larger vehicles with roll-tables for them.

Also a possible solution is to roll 1d6, a d10, or even d20 or 2d12 for the vehicles in question depending on their size and randomly pick from the vehicle contents tables to roll for, or just pick them yourselves.

Considering this is mostly meant to be a GM tool, it is up to the GM to pick items. GM's this is a good opportunity to reward your players or to have them find something that might just save their skin at a rough moment.

As always, we want our experiences as players and GM's to be fun.

Tearstone
Adventurer

Ubiquity wrote:Did I miss something on one of the books? You stated Denver was a fortified city with communication services...

Rifter 40 Page 51, I believe.

Bottom of the page, starts last paragraph, right-hand column.

Tearstone
Adventurer

Update: I may be editing and fixing some of my contents tables posted here.

I got DR for X-Mas (Ty Kevin and staff for autographing all the books I got in my Grab Bag this year!) in my Grab Bag, and after burying my face in the book for 10 hours, I decided I liked the loot tables there, and might re-work mine to be along similar lines.

We'll see what happens.

Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Unread post by Neo »

Let's also not forget military vehicles....

When ever the military sends anything out on a task it is packed to the gills with spare ammo, food, water, fuel, tool, navigation gear, radios and parts for the vehicle itself. IRL the kit list assigned to these vehicles can be several pages long.
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
Tearstone
Adventurer

Neo wrote:Let's also not forget military vehicles....

When ever the military sends anything out on a task it is packed to the gills with spare ammo, food, water, fuel, tool, navigation gear, radios and parts for the vehicle itself. IRL the kit list assigned to these vehicles can be several pages long.

True enough... but at the same time, those vehicles may be picked over, even picked to the bone. It just depends. Course the vehicle itself may be in usable condition, well if someone can drive the damn thing.

Neo
Explorer
Comment: God I feel old.

Unread post by Neo »

Tearstone wrote:
Neo wrote:Let's also not forget military vehicles....

True enough... but at the same time, those vehicles may be picked over, even picked to the bone. It just depends. Course the vehicle itself may be in usable condition, well if someone can drive the damn thing.

The same could be said about any vehicle found abandoned. Im just saying that in order to pick a vehicle clean you are going to a lot more than a back pack to take it all away.
What the Bloody Hell are you freaks all talking about
-- Rayven

The line I was referring to was the "If I step over this line I officially become so stupid that I no longer have a right to live" line
-- Shaded Helios

mmmm, time to make the chocolate chili. Yup! I prefected it
-- Sara The TG
Tearstone
Adventurer

depends on what the person finds/considers useful.

When you get right down to it, the tires make decent sandals and armor. Lots of scrap metal, useful parts. Then there's wiring. The newer cars are wired up like freaking jet fighters almost. In older model cars you only needed 3 colors of wire 50' long to wire the entire thing, and you'd wind up with leftover. Nowadays you need at least 5 colors and 150' and that still might not cover it!

The seats can be used as well... seats. The gears in the seats, the carpeting, the upholstery, the sponge padding, the vinyl, even the glass and mirrors can all be used for stuff. The metal of the car body could be used. However, all of this takes time to scavenge. Simply checking under the seats, and in a few nooks and crannies, in the back floorboard, and maybe in the trunk if you can get it to pop takes a lot less time.

Time is the enemy when it comes to zombies. The longer you stay in an area, the greater the chance of discovery. The risk rises slowly sometimes, but can rise geometrically depending on the area. Unless you've got enough people to risk a protracted battle, or have a means of quickly escaping the zombies, you're best just poking around for a few minutes and moving on.

The same is true for Retro-Savages, bandits, and other people you don't want to deal with. The longer you sit still, the easier you are to find, and pick apart.

Always remember, there is nowhere safe... only safer. Don't dilly dally if you don't have to.

ZINO
Knight
Comment: NEVER QUIT..... I got lucky

Unread post by ZINO »

any military stuff ?
let your YES be YES and your NO be NO but plz no maybe

Return to “Dead Reign™”