Gimme the Guns !

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Re: Gimme the Guns !

Unread post by Severus Snape »

frogboy wrote:Romero is a GOD. I did not know he wrote books. Thanks for the list.

All hail Lord Romero! Night, Dawn, and Day are THE holy trilogy of horror movies.
Lando The Archmagi
D-Bee

Unread post by Lando The Archmagi »

The Walking Dead graphic novels rock pretty hard too. Soon to be released TV series even.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/
Lando The Archmagi
RPG Tournament Judge/Attendee
Dragon*Con 2010
http://www.dragoncon.org
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

frogboy wrote:I brought this book to the group I played with and as they were discussing what they would be and what they would play as one thing came up continuously. They all were gun collectors or ex army types with machine guns and bazooka's and all that. They will be starting in a big city, and I don't see this group getting to far and here is why.

1. Zombies don't need guns.

2. Zombies don't care if you shoot them.

3. Guns run out of bullets Zombies don't run out of Zombies.

They all have plans to hold up in a wall mart or a GS ware house but still don't see that they WILL run out of ammo, there food WILL go rotten. And lets not forget the other survivors who will surley try and rob them They assume that all the other humans will be friendly. To me, it seems like it would be better to grab some goats a decent .22 cal rifle and head to the wilderness and live the life of a nomad. Sure, Zombies will be there, but if you aer in the right place you will see them (as well as humans) coming a mile off. Oh well. I will post the results for you as they come up.

Wal mart or a gun store is pretty much the worst place you can go, everyone has been to those places and they are full of people who did not make it out. Your best bet is people's houses. The game I played started with the wave and one of the characters was the owner of a gunsmith/gun dealing business, we used his sales records to find the houses of people who bought guns and bullets. Gun Collecting is habit forming and generational and you would be amazed at the haul some people have in their homes.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

frogboy wrote:I don't see this group getting to far and here is why.

Is that a problem? Why?

If your playing to win, fair enough.

But if you want some sort of endless campaign but are playing out the world, if the way the world plays out is that it ends up eating you alive and cutting your campaign short, it will. Unless the GM fudges for your plan, in which case hey, he could fudge for these guys gun bunny plans. If you want an endless campaign, what's the difference whether you fudge for the gun bunny plan?
My WIP browser game : Come see how it's evolving!
Philosopher Gamer: Thought provoking blog!
Driftwurld: My web comic!
Relkor: "I believe the GM ruled that they did vomit..."
G
Adventurer

Unread post by G »

frogboy wrote:To me, it seems like it would be better to grab some goats a decent .22 cal rifle and head to the wilderness and live the life of a nomad. Sure, Zombies will be there, but if you aer in the right place you will see them (as well as humans) coming a mile off. Oh well. I will post the results for you as they come up.

1. You may be correct, but lets say we move to the wilderness and never see another zombie...where exactly is the fun in that? This is a Zombie game! As a GM you would have to work in conflict with other humans and somehow get zombies back into the game...(cultists leading zombies would work). The net result of my metagaming argument here is that it won't matter what they do, you will still work zombies back into the game - because that is what they are gathering together to do - play a zombie game.

That makes places like industrial complexes & high rise buildings good choices. They have access to zombies, other people & resources.

2. Please tell us what happened. Preferably in as much gory detail as possible...
The Leynet - The place for TW inventions & hosting RIFTS Fiction
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. - Yoda
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others - Animal Farm.
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Yah, but the design of the rules tends to mechanically reward gun 'em down more than portrayal of character. But it's not impossible to add on big rewards for portrayal of character.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

frogboy wrote:I brought this book to the group I played with and as they were discussing what they would be and what they would play as one thing came up continuously. They all were gun collectors or ex army types with machine guns and bazooka's and all that. They will be starting in a big city, and I don't see this group getting to far and here is why.

1. Zombies don't need guns.

2. Zombies don't care if you shoot them.

3. Guns run out of bullets Zombies don't run out of Zombies.

They all have plans to hold up in a wall mart or a GS ware house but still don't see that they WILL run out of ammo, there food WILL go rotten. And lets not forget the other survivors who will surley try and rob them They assume that all the other humans will be friendly. To me, it seems like it would be better to grab some goats a decent .22 cal rifle and head to the wilderness and live the life of a nomad. Sure, Zombies will be there, but if you aer in the right place you will see them (as well as humans) coming a mile off. Oh well. I will post the results for you as they come up.

ya ive had players like tha.
Scenario 1: the island fortress
players took over a fishing camp on an island in the middle of a fast moving river. safe from zombies? check. food, water, shelter? check. human raiders? boom that was their downfall. they made contact with a "church group" (zombie death cult) who followed them home then came back that night with 30 armed raiders looking for sacrifices.

Scenario 2: i shoot everything!
one of my players refuses to not shoot zombies and goes out of his way to attack them. his last maneuver was to charge a group of six shamblers with 2 bullets and now backup weapon. i keep track of player ammo and he did not reload from the last encounter or take extra rounds. he runs out of ammo, meanwhile those last 2 shots attract every zombie in a mile radius. the group had no choice but to flee and leave him to get eaten.

IMHO the only "safe place" is a nuclear missile silo built ontop of a natural spring with geo-thermal power, a few years of MREs, and a few hundred thousand rounds of ammo. Good luck finding that and keeping it to yourself!

oh ya: "guns run out of bullets, zombies never run out of zombie"
Thats gotta go on my GM screen! :)
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

Well, Romero was hardly gunna make a movie where they waited it out and...it worked. He'd actively be trying to think of what could go wrong, rather than how it could go right.

The problem in play is that players often only look for how it could go right for them, which often means they'd have won in the first five minutes and the rest of play would simply be toward an already certain result.

Return to “Dead Reign™”