Building my "perfect" hideout

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Building my "perfect" hideout

Unread post by Razzinold »

Reprinted from Surviving:More than just hoarding ammo.
I didn't want to keep tying up their thread with just stuff about my hideout so here is a new thread to discuss plans to help build my/our Zombie hideaway :lol:
Plus real life places you plan on defending.

Ok I live in Newcastle Ontario, population about 10,000 (according to Wikipedia that is :-D )

So here is my zombie plan, assuming that I am at home, I load the family into the car and head to my parents house, which is about 5 minutes away by car, and that is driving slow 80 km/h or slower, obviously I would drive quicker and get there in about 2. (of yeah I don't live in town I live in the rural part) so get to mom and dad's they live on 30 acres of property all fenced in and there are metal gates attached to stone walls that can close and lock over the driveway ( they are fancy looking ones that have spikes on them and are like 10 feet high easy. So roll in there, lock them behind me and head to the house (which cannot be seen from the road due to all the trees) So dad owns a few guns, plus my bow is there, also there is a variety of martial arts weaponry in the gym. For water sources he has two natural spring fed ponds on the property (close to the house) one of them is about 12 feet deep and stocked with trout and koi. So food and water, also there is a pool if he needed to boil that and drink it. He has a deer trail that runs through one corner of the property as well as coyotes and such. There is a large home gym to keep yourself in shape, a full garage set up including welding equipment, hydraulhic hoist and all the tools you need. plenty of cars and gas stored there, back up generators, oh and the stove is gas not electric so even if we lost power we could still cook for a while and his fireplaces are gas as well. He has three tanks he keeps full so it should last for a fairly long time. The only drawback is the garage/shop and gym are not in the house they are in a separate building accross the yard. As long as you check for Zeds before going out you shold be ok. Like I said the whole place is surrounded by trees, you wouldn't even know there was a house there except for the driveway and gates, but are Zeds smart enough to know that ? The house is very large and we could close of portions if we wanted too and there is also a tower we could go up into and block of the metal spiral staircase in times of emergency. I'm sure there is more but I'm at work and can't think of any right now.

lso have the German Shepards that bark at anyone who comes down the driveway so that is kind of an early warning system, plus one thing I forgot to mention is the type of alarm system they have. It is the early warning kind, as in if a window is smashed are a door bashed open we would know which part of the house was being broken in to. It is a large house and someone could be in one end and you would never know it unless you went there and looked.

for those intereseted here is a photo of their place with a few things labelled, It's from Google Earth and looks to be a little out of date.
http://s676.photobucket.com/albums/vv12 ... sHouse.jpg

Oh even if we do loose power (which is pretty evident) dad has a couple of generators and a fairly large pump and firehoses so we could still get water to the house (he uses it to pump water from the pond to the pool instead of paying for a water truck) and he has two one electric (which wouldn't work unless hooked up to the generator, but he also has one that is gas powered) One thing I thought of, they have one of those automatic lawn sprinkler systems set up (like gold courses, they are fairly high pressured (shoot a fair distance) too bad we couldn't drain the lines and fill the resevoir with gasoline and use it as a weapon. Some Zeds are shambling along the side yard, we turn on the sprinkers just in that zone (you can set it up by zone or turn all on at once) and they get soaked with gas, toss a couple moltov's and boom crispy zeds. Too bad we weren't being attacked by vamps, have a few priets bless the holding tanks, bam! instant holy water cannons!
I thought of a few more things for home defence, could also work for other people too. Now being on 30 acres that is a lot of grass so my parents have interlocking brick pathways that lead to different places (the shop, to the patio/pool in the back, to the pond on the side). I was thinking if we booby trapped all the grassy areas, every human would know to stick to the bricks. Step off the bricks and you are in "no man's land". This way we could really amp it up in the way of defending the place before the zeds even reach the house itself. Kind of like 28 days later where they knew that the other side of the fence meant a mine field. We could rig up snares or pits, wouldn't be too hard to camoflague them, I mean slouchers are pretty dumb right ? The only problem would be the runners and thinkers, thinkers might figure out to use the bricks, and runners might avoid the pits.

Hey Razz. You mentioned that there are spring fed ponds on your property. To me this means there is moving water. You could build a simple water wheel to supplement your gas generators.
If there is not moving water then there's always wind power. You should tell your dad to start working on that. Just in case. :D

Yeah there are underground (hot and cold springs that feed the pond) he dug the pond with a huge excavator because he found out that there were natural springs under the ground. He also built a small waterfall (not sufficient enough to power anything, that leads into a man made river that leads into the pond as well, maybe if we increased the pressure to that we caould generate power ?
ronekiln
Wanderer

Re: Building my "perfect" hideout

Unread post by ronekiln »

Trapping the grass areas deprives their use as gardens for long term survival. Assuming you have a healthy group of people together, quietly patrolling the woods with hefty clubs would probably be your best defensive measure. In such a rural area having large groups come all at one time is highly unlikely. Ropes and obstacles can be strung between trees to hinder any intruders to make it easier for those patrolling. They don't need to be good enough to stop a horde (though that would be ideal), just enough to snarl up random individuals or small groups so those patrolling can more easily find and smash them.

In the long term, if you're in an area with enough farms you could probably find the equipment and fuel to dig a steep trench around the property while a small team guarded the guy on the excavator. Straw and hay bales will make excellent short term barricades as well. You just need a few dozen people scared enough to work crazy hard for a few days. it would be hard for anything other than a massive mob to breach a deep steep trench backed by a earth and straw wall.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Smlawrence8 »

Hey I dont want to thread jack, but I was wondering if you would mind if other people could use this to post there perfect hideout?..I have an idea and would love to see other peoples....
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Hey Razz! If I was at your hideout I would use your shop to build wind turbines from car alternators. With enough wire I wouldn't need the alternators. These would supply a limited amount of electricity(A few lamps and a hot plate) but would be better than nothing after the fuel ran out. With more of them you wouldn't need a gas generator much. You have a large area to work with so I would try building solar panels too! Also, we could build a simple wood powered steam generator as you have a good supply of water.
I know how to make all of these things. :D
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Oberoth wrote:Hey Razz! If I was at your hideout I would use your shop to build wind turbines from car alternators. With enough wire I wouldn't need the alternators. These would supply a limited amount of electricity(A few lamps and a hot plate) but would be better than nothing after the fuel ran out. With more of them you wouldn't need a gas generator much. You have a large area to work with so I would try building solar panels too! Also, we could build a simple wood powered steam generator as you have a good supply of water.

how do you make home made solar panels????that one I have got to know
cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:man-day-dreaming of how you would take out terrorists if they jumped through the windows in the dentist's office (answer; with badass kung fu and that pencil the lady next to you is doing her suidoku puzzle with) and wondering what it would feel like to kill someone, are two completely different things.
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Smlawrence8 wrote:
Oberoth wrote:Hey Razz! If I was at your hideout I would use your shop to build wind turbines from car alternators. With enough wire I wouldn't need the alternators. These would supply a limited amount of electricity(A few lamps and a hot plate) but would be better than nothing after the fuel ran out. With more of them you wouldn't need a gas generator much. You have a large area to work with so I would try building solar panels too! Also, we could build a simple wood powered steam generator as you have a good supply of water.

Solar panels work on a surprisingly simple concept. If you remember some high school chemistry you can build a simple solar generator.

Theory:
Solar panels use sunlight to excite electrons from their 'valance' shells. Phosphorus for example has extra shells with electrons that are easily 'bumped' out by photons of light. These electrons become 'free' electrons witch move through a semi conductor(silicone) and fill empty valance shells of another material; boron for example has many extra shells. The electrons travel through a wire into the electrical device and then back to the phosphorus's now empty shells, thus completing an electrical circuit. :D

How to make a solar cell in n easy steps:

Things you will need: Small piece of flat glass, small piece of screen door mesh, small piece of copper sheet metal, powdered phosphorus, powdered boron, silicone gasket goo(clear), two short lengths of copper wire, sheets of wax paper, sturdy flat board or piece of metal slightly larger than the glass slate.

1: Solder a short length of wire to the edge of the screen mesh and the copper sheet.

2: Place the glass on a flat work surface and cut the screen door mesh to fit, then place the screen mesh on top of the glass.

3: After mixing the phosphorus powder in with some silicone(I don't have proportions handy but you should be able to see light through it), brush a thin layer(one millimeter) on top of the screen mesh.

4: Place a sheet of wax paper on top and flatten the silicone with the board. Allow the silicone to set completely.

5: While the silicone is setting, mix some boron in with some more silicone goo. Brush a thin layer(one millimeter) on top of the copper sheet and repeat the flattening with the board. Allow to set completely.

6: After the silicone on both has set completely remove the wax sheets. Brush a thin layer(thinner the better) of just silicone on the freshly set boron/silicone sheet. Sandwich the two silicone sheets together and allow to set completely.

That's it. Tada! solar power.

Measure the voltage with a volt meter while the cell is under a direct light source. You should have a small(very) amount of voltage present.

This process could be scaled up to produce more power but is very inefficient. :bandit:
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Oberoth wrote:
Smlawrence8 wrote:

Solar panels work on a surprisingly simple concept. If you remember some high school chemistry you can build a simple solar generator.

Theory:
Solar panels use sunlight to excite electrons from their 'valance' shells. Phosphorus for example has extra shells with electrons that are easily 'bumped' out by photons of light. These electrons become 'free' electrons witch move through a semi conductor(silicone) and fill empty valance shells of another material; boron for example has many extra shells. The electrons travel through a wire into the electrical device and then back to the phosphorus's now empty shells, thus completing an electrical circuit. :D

Things you will need: Small piece of flat glass, small piece of screen door mesh, small piece of copper sheet metal, powdered phosphorus, powdered boron, silicone gasket goo(clear), two short lengths of copper wire, sheets of wax paper, sturdy flat board or piece of metal slightly larger than the glass slate.

1: Solder a short length of wire to the edge of the screen mesh and the copper sheet.

2: Place the glass on a flat work surface and cut the screen door mesh to fit, then place the screen mesh on top of the glass.

3: After mixing the phosphorus powder in with some silicone(I don't have proportions handy but you should be able to see light through it), brush a thin layer(one millimeter) on top of the screen mesh.

4: Place a sheet of wax paper on top and flatten the silicone with the board. Allow the silicone to set completely.

5: While the silicone is setting, mix some boron in with some more silicone goo. Brush a thin layer(one millimeter) on top of the copper sheet and repeat the flattening with the board. Allow to set completely.

6: After the silicone on both has set completely remove the wax sheets. Brush a thin layer(thinner the better) of just silicone on the freshly set boron/silicone sheet. Sandwich the two silicone sheets together and allow to set completely.

Measure the voltage with a volt meter while the cell is under a direct light source. You should have a small(very) amount of voltage present.

This process could be scaled up to produce more power but is very inefficient. :bandit:

Holy crap i my buddy and i were talking about powering a gazebo with waterflow and an alternator...I have so got to do this instead....
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Smlawrence8 wrote:
Oberoth wrote:
Smlawrence8 wrote:

Theory:

Holy crap i my buddy and i were talking about powering a gazebo with waterflow and an alternator...I have so got to do this instead....

SMLWARENCE! I should mention that this kind of home made solar panel does not produce much power, and it would take a very large area of panels to power anything useful. Your better off using the water flow and alternator.
Smlawrence8
Dungeon Crawler

Ok last comment on this thread jack....but I wasnt planning on powering much...one light and maybe a radio maybe once a week.... It would be connected to a battery as a way to store the power....do you think that would be enough?
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Smlawrence8 wrote:Ok last comment on this thread jack....but I wasnt planning on powering much...one light and maybe a radio maybe once a week.... It would be connected to a battery as a way to store the power....do you think that would be enough?

That of course would depend on the wattage of the lamp and radio. Also it would depend on how much time they would be running and how much area you have; or are willing to devote to a solar array. A fully charged car battery hooked up to an AC inverter will power a 30 watt TV for about an hour. So you would need a very energy efficient lamp and radio for longer run times. You could use a second battery to double the run time but it would take twice as long to charge. Again, the efficiency of a home made solar array is in question. My suggestion to you is to build a small solar cell first, say, one foot squared. With that you will be able to calculate how much power you will be able to produce based on how much area you have to work with. Keep in mind that the system would be entirely dependent on the sun. With that said, a cloudy week would leave the system in a deficit and reduce the amount of available power. A water wheel on the other hand would be operating constantly and thus would be constantly producing power. Also an alternator is specifically made to charge automotive batteries, and does so with better efficiency(at the right RPM). If your really ambitious you could build both systems to have a reliable source of power. If you want to talk about this more, create a thread called SOLAR ARRAY and I would be happy to discuss this further. :mrgreen:
Razzinold
Hero

Don't worry it's not thread jacking, I said at the bold print, last line, include any plans on real life places you would barricade. So Smlawrence8 feel free to comment on our hideout (I will now say our instead of mine because it looks like i got me some helpers :-D ) or post any ideas on your own hideout, describe the layout, your approach to defend it and keep yourself supplied.

Now lets see, yup lots of farms in the area to liberate equipment from, including hayfields, cows, pigs, chickens and horses. So there is defense, food, equipment and transportation all in one. my dad owns 30 acres and he is on the corner so his property runs along two streets. His one neighbour is beside his back field (can't be seen from the house) and you would have to navigate thorough the forest to find them, hey we could steal their ATVS. So they are behind and to the left, his other neighbour to the right, well we would once again have to walk through the forest, then walk through the neighbours farmland to get to his house.
Waht my parents basicaly did was take 30 acres of property with lots of trees, had to cut their own path through for a driveway, then cleared more trees out to buld the house and shop, so it is well hidden, it is surrounded by tress, other then what they cut away for the two driveways which are not straight they wind through the forrest, so you can't look down the drive way and see the house, you would just see the driveway curve into the woods, they cut enough for the other buildings and the lawn. As for trapping the grass areas i only meant the area between the house and shop, the garden is in the back of the house. It would be so much easier if you could see the house, that google earth shot is terrible.

We could easily rig stuff up in the shop, lots of equipment, lots of cars, both running and as parts cars, it's a mechanic/car restoration/repair shop. He works on current cars and classics and we have plenty of both types laying around the shop.
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Razz. You have some good resources at your disposal there. When the wave hits you would be in pretty good shape. But you would have to use them quickly to remain ahead before your supplies dwindled to desperate levels. Personally I would build a steam powered backup generator first; while I still had electricity for power tools, welder etc.. It could be made fairly quick with a fifty gallon drum, alternator, scrap metal and plumbing supplies.
Razzinold
Hero

Well I suppose we could use the tank that people used to hold oil in (back in the day) you know those big huge metal ones. Plenty of water (2 ponds, pool and 2 wells) Luckily my dad is handy in the shop AND knows about wiring (gotta keep him alive for sure). He is in good shape (studied martial arts since I was like 4 and I will be tunring 30 this may) can build things, smart AND he is an awesome cook! PLus he has a few sweet rides that would make awesome (But loud) getaway cars. :D
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

Also, it would be wise if you don't already have one; to build a watch tower. Man it with a couple guys with rifles, ammo and a radio/communications device. This would help with your early warning system and defense. Ideally, they would have UV or night vision for night watch, but spot lights would work too but at the risk of drawing attention to your position.
Razzinold
Hero

The house has two towers, one that is just for looks, was used as the front door for awhile, now they removed the door and put a window, but we could rig up something with the scaffolding he was in the shop, the second tower actually has a set of spiral staris leading up to it, with a small room up there, we could use that, shoot out from the tower windows, there is also a loft above the converted garage it has huge windows on the second floor, a set on each side, so you can watch the two sides of the house from there as well.
Razzinold
Hero

The house has two towers, one that is just for looks, was used as the front door for awhile, now they removed the door and put a window, but we could rig up something with the scaffolding he was in the shop, the second tower actually has a set of spiral staris leading up to it, with a small room up there, we could use that, shoot out from the tower windows, there is also a loft above the converted garage it has huge windows on the second floor, a set on each side, so you can watch the two sides of the house from there as well.
ronekiln
Wanderer

Best source of power is to search the town for solar panels to swipe and install. Unfortunately it sounds like your location is not well suited for solar with the trees close in to the house. Still, they'd have a good chance of powering a few refrigerators for food storage and recharging some batteries. When it comes down to it people don't really need electric lights or heat. We made it fine without those for millenia.

I've gone back to school for eco-design in construction. I can design comfortable homes that are better insulated than modern homes with nothing more than straw, clay, and roofing materials. I have decent knowledge of alternate power, plumbing, and temperature control systems. I can build or retrofit existing buildings to be far more useful in a resource strained time with minimal materials, but requiring significant labor.

Labor is a big issue. It takes a lot of people to maintain a healthy community long term. I don't mean holing up through the first few months of disaster. I'm talking long term. Best actions at the start are efforts to gather the largest number of people you can possibly manage. Even nonskilled people squeamish about caving skulls in can do a lot of heavy lifting, digging, and gardening that is very labor instensive.

Generally in zombie situations zombies have only two big advantages over us. They outnumber us and never sleep. You need sheer numbers on your side to provide decent guard force while everyone else is sleeping and to tip those odds back when it comes to a fight. Is a house the size of Razz's, dozens of people can comfortably live in there. Some are needed to patrol, some to build, and others to raid for supplies and equipment. That's a lot of people to do it right.
Razzinold
Hero

Well the trees are not right up against the house, they are cut back a fair bit to allow for lawns, like the pool for instance is in full sun until about 4:30 - 5:00pm (something like that). oh yeah, the size of the house could easily accomodate a doze families. The living room has high cathedral ceilings in it, could easy be converted into some kind of dormitory with bunk beds (not to mention all the normal bedrooms. Same with the basement, could be storage/sleeping. best part about the basement there are only two windows in the whole basment, rest is all solid brick. the windows are small and could be easily barriacaded. You would have to be a skinny adult zombie (or child to even fit through them) that is if you can even find them because when you look out them you are staring at a pile of dirt (the garden) they are well hidden. We have other large rooms that could be used for sleeping, storage. command center, anything we needed. Hell we could block off access to smaller rooms that have more windows in them if we needed to. block the windows, then block the door leading to the hallway.
ronekiln
Wanderer

While of no use to Razz's hide-out due to distance, I made the most awesome survivors discovery this weekend on the northern edge of Seattle.

The side of a parking garage completely covered in Photovoltaic Solar panels. All of them look to be in reach from either the level above or below if you leaned out with a socket set. More than enough power to run numerous refrigerators and freezers. Yeah, they don't work at night without extensive battery set-up, but a quality fridge or freezer should easily stay cold overnight till the power starts up again in the morning.

Block the ramp with a large truck, clear out any shamblers wandering in the garage, and take your time unhooking the panels and loading them up.
Razzinold
Hero

ronekiln wrote:While of no use to Razz's hide-out due to distance, I made the most awesome survivors discovery this weekend on the northern edge of Seattle.

The side of a parking garage completely covered in Photovoltaic Solar panels. All of them look to be in reach from either the level above or below if you leaned out with a socket set. More than enough power to run numerous refrigerators and freezers. Yeah, they don't work at night without extensive battery set-up, but a quality fridge or freezer should easily stay cold overnight till the power starts up again in the morning.

Block the ramp with a large truck, clear out any shamblers wandering in the garage, and take your time unhooking the panels and loading them up.

Yeah it would be kind of hard to drive all the way out there and get back intime for dinner :lol:
Solar panels would be hard to come be in Newcastle period, guess I could go to Canadian Tire and take all those ones they advertise on TV, stick them in your window and they can be used on your car or snowmobile to keep it warm during winter. My fellow canadians know what I'm talking about. Guess it would be good if I stole like 200 or so :D
Razzinold
Hero

I could do that, probably should remove the TV antenna as well, it makes a perfect ladder to get onto the roof and I wouldn't want any human looters using it to bypass any defenses we had in place.
on a side note I can't believe it's been 2 years since this thread has been used, this post is now like a zombie, it was dead and now has been brought back to life, lol

Anyone else have any cool real life places they have picked out to defend ? I found this one building in Oshawa (where i live now) that would be perfect to defend. I don't know what the building was built for originally but it has no ground floor windows and is solid brick, but there are windows on the second story and it has a flat roof.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Unread post by Grell »

And unfortunately the rate of decay is slowed as well. This topic needs a head shot, STAT!
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

From my interpretation of Dead Reign, the whole idea of trying to build a hideout would be dangerous.

Why? The fact that the dead sense life energy and that there are smart zombies out there who might just be smart enough to eventually break through any defenses.

I may be wrong, but I like the idea that the survivors best chance being constant movement, just ahead of the horde.

If anything I think maybe living on the water might be safer than some concrete bunker or secret cave. That is until one of the smart zombies goes Pirates of the Carribean.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Here is my perfect setup. This is assuming "unlimited*" resources and at least a good year to construct it in advance. I am assuming I/my group is either extremely paranoid, or we see what is coming well in advance.

*By unlimited I mean life savings and income/resources of at least a dozen different family units pooling resources and willing to go well in to debt on the deal, as we are assuming money is going to be worthless, and most other people don't see the writing on the wall yet to tank the economy and make other resources scarce.

I'd locate the compound as out of the way as I could. Probably in the Alaskan or northern Canadian Tiaga. I'd locate it in a natural tree strand large enough to conceal the whole thing, but small enough for the following (and isolated enough from other trees).

The central compound would be a single building of 1 1/2 stories in height rising from the ground and constructed of cinder block walls with 2x4 inner walls seperated by a 1/4" air gap with a 1/2" plywood outer facing on the 2x4 stud walls, filled with insulating foam (and electrical where appropriate) with a 1/2" plywood inner facing covered with 1/2" drywall. The building would have a footprint of approximately 2,000 sq-ft have the upper floor, main floor and basement. Upper floor would be dedicated to "living space" barracks style to accomodate all of the compounds residents in an emergency (but normally not used, or infrequently used). A few small windows would be located on this level, non-perishable food and water for at least 2 weeks would be kept on this level. The main floor would be the "operations" level for the compound. It would house the only radio transmitters, it would have a situation room with computer, TV, radios, servers to house data/handle networking for the compound and the library for the compound. There would also be a fabrication level workshop with tools, fabrication tools, spare parts for machinary for the compound, spare generator and some other stuff. There would also be the power generator for the compound consisting of two 5kw diesel generators and two 5kw gasoline generators to give flexible fuel options and backups. There would also be a battery bank with 50kw/hr of storage. There will also be a small medical clinic with 4 beds and a small ad hoc OR. The basement would house food, water, salvage, spare parts and fuel storage for the compound. At least 6 months of non-perishable food, 2 months of water (assumption that a potable source of water would feed the compound normally, such as a sweet water stream, or one that is easily treatable with UV filtration, well(s), etc) and at least 1,000 gallons of gas and diesel. The roof of the compound will have at least 5kw of solar panels installed and solar thermal water heating system as well as an embattled parapet extending to 5ft in height around the roof.

The compound would have living quarters for everyone in seperate buildings, 2 families to a building, probably about 1,500-2,000 sq-ft total each, all single story with a basement (yes this means digging down through permafrost), all with normal house construction methods. Each house will have at least 2kw of solar panels installed on the roof, 10kw/hr of battery storage and a solar hot water heating system. A garage large enough for at least 8 cars/SUVs and a machine shop within it. A community center for entertaining, group meals for festivities and secondary food/water storage (perishable foods kept here, with big walk in freezers) as well as a secondary battery storage of 20kw/hr and a single 5kw hr generator (diesel or gasoline).

The compound will be sorrounded by a 12ft high, 2ft thick cast concrete wall with rebar (sunk 4ft down). A walk way will be constructed behind the wall with the wall forming a breast work at 4 1/2ft in front of the walk way. Watch towers will be located every 500ft along the wall and be large enough to comfortably stand 2 people, with 2 chairs to sit in, be open to the elements, have a 4 1/2ft high breastwork around the perimeter of the watch tower, rise 10ft above the walls and be constructed of wood with 3/4 plywood "walls". A rifle, 100rds of ammunition, high power handheld spot light and short range handheld radio will be contained in each.

The perimeter wall will enclose the entire compound with only a single gate exiting the compound, composed of 3/4 plywood paneled wrought iron (1/2" bars) and 12ft wide (sliding gate). The compound will be at least 5 acres in size with 2 1/2 acres dedicated to vegetable gardens and farming (about 20% of it in large green houses), 1 1/2 acres to buildings and "recreation" area and 1 acre to "dead zone" between the permeter wall and anything on the inside (this is assuming 40-100 people, at least half adults, the main building, secondary building, garage and probably 5-12 "houses).

The compound will have a unified electrical grid, with the houses/buildings drawing on their own solar power first, other buildings' solar power next, their own batteries after that, and on other buildings' batteries after that. Generators would only be used in the case of emergencies. All buildings will have a data network (Cat 5e ethernet) connecting them to the main building for things like entertainment (music, movies, games, pleasure reading) and education (digital library, research notes, etc).

Outside of the compound wall, there will be a 300ft cleared zone to the tree line. Then there will be a tree line a minimum of 300ft thick to cleared/or naturally cleared area extending out at least a further 500ft beyond that to any tree or terrain features that would block LOS. OPs would be constructed near the perimeter of the primary tree line about every 1,000ft (this would mean 4-8 OPs) so that they have at least limited over lapping fields of observation/fire. The OPs would be sunken below the ground with no more than 2ft above ground and heavily camo'd. Construction would be of cinderblock with a 3/4" insulated plywood roof covered in dirt and plants for additional camo. Each OP would be connected by a tunnel back to the main compound (entrance at the perimeter wall). The tunnels would be small, just big enough for two adults to pass each other hunched down with their backs to the wall (about 5 1/2ft tall and 2 1/2ft wide). The OPs would have land line com back to the main compound building, no power or heat. A rifle, 200rds, binoculars, night vision optics, 3 days non-perishable food and water would be kept in each.

At all times each OP will be staffed with a single person during the day time and 2 people at night in rotating 6hr shifts. The main compound building will have 3 people on staff at all times in the "operations" room to handle communications, etc. The look out towers will only be staffed during alerts, but 2 people will be roaming the perimeter wall at all times. Anyone 12 and over is considered an "adult" when it comes to pulling obsevation/perimeter or operations room duty.

Each house will have at least a single fire arm with 50rds of ammo for it, as well as several hand weapons (axe, crowbar, etc). The main compound building will have an armory with one fire arm for every person as well as at least 500 rds each for rifles and shotguns and 200 rds each for pistols. At least 5 cross bows and 5 bows will be kept with 40 arrows/quarrels each for hunting and "silent" zombie take downs. Everyone over the age of 8 will be taught basic fire arms safety and marksmanship.

No weapon will be illegal and will be generally available calibers with a bit of a mix to ensure more commonality when scavegning when that arrises. .22, .223, 7.62x39, .30-30, .30-06, .30 carbine, 12 gauge and 20 gauge would be the common calibers of rifles/shotguns kept on hand as well as some 9mm, .357 and .45 pistols. All people on observation, perimeter and command post duty will be armed with a fire arm at all times. An emphasis on carbines over full size rifles would be made.

The garage/compound should have at least 3-5 ruggedized AWD/4WD passenger cars, 2-4 ruggedized AWD/4WD SUVs/trucks meant for/modified for off roading with snorkles for stream crossing, 2-4 ATVs and 2-4 dirt bikes would be kept. In addition at least a dozen moutain bikes would be kept on hand for manual peddling duties. Probably at least 1 of the ATVs and 1 of the passenger cars or offroad trucks/SUVs would be converted to electrical duty in advance (even if only limited, 20-30 mile range). The garage would keep at least 500 gallons of gasoline and 200 gallons of diesel in tanks, and the vehicles (except manual/electrical) would be used sparingly.

After society falls and laws aren't an issue, some of the rifles will be modified for full automatic firing or selective firing (only a few) and some "improvised" flame throwers will be constructed and use home brewed jellied gasoline (only 2 or 3 "home made" flame throwers).

I think that probably covers it for what I can come up with. Up side is that short of a real million zombie invasion the compound should be pretty zombie proof. It should be pretty proof against any bandits or raiders as well unless an extremely large group or excessively well armed, organized and lead.

Between hunting, fishing (preferably a good sized stream/river with fish runs should be located within 10 miles or passable vehicle trails/roads, at least enough for an ATV) and farming the compound should be able to be pretty self sufficient. The occasional foraging expedition as well as scaveging any homes that might be located/found anywhere remotely nearby the community would be pretty good. Probably the occasional long distance raid would be conducted periodically once things have "quieted down" after a year or two to hit towns that are located far away (ideally no population center of more than about 200 people would be located within 50 miles of the compound and none more than 1,000 people would be located within 150 miles).

Money and size of the community permiting a small helicopter or single engine ultra light or 4 seater plane would also be acquired by the community, kept under cover.

The few big downsides to this are as follows.

1) You'd need to find, trust and be able to coordinate with a very large group of like minded individuals to be able to construct and occupy such a compound.

2) You'd need a lot of money to finance it. Probably at least $2 million USD, if not twice that, assuming the group is doing all of the construction themselves. Though with, say, 40 adults (lets say 20 married couples) willing to spend their life savings and acrue as much debt as they can on it, that isn't too far fetched.

3) It would take at least some construction equipment to construct it in the time frame, a back hoe (or two) at a minimum and it would be a lot of stuff to have to transport in to "the middle of nowhere".

4) You'd also need a lot of people working on the project. My guess is at least 10 adults full time and another 10 at least 25% of their time on it for a year to get the thing constructed. If you had 2-3 years you could probably get it done with only 2-4 people full time (handling the onsite coordination/foreman duties) and another 10-15 part time (at least 25% of their time, or figure most of the people 3-5 days a month).

That is my "finances, lots of time, ideal and big group of people" compound/surival scenario.

Since I am feeling it today, I think I might come up with my ideal "my family and maybe a couple of friends" scenario working within the approximate resources that we actually have.
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

Okay, smaller scale, but still involving a few friends, but my "current" living situation. This would be my timeline, of course with zombies actually "attacking" putting various steps on hold until or if they can be destroyed and/or held at bay.

If I supposed I couldn't get far enough away from civilization, I'd probably focus on fortifying my current house/neighborhood. If I could enlist a few neighbors or friends, I could make my neighborhood pretty defensible against zombies at least. I live in a townhouse neighborhood, with my house backing to an open area between rows. The open area is approximately 2 acres all told. There are two large openings and 4 small openings in to the open space. The small openings range from 20-40ft across. One large opening runs parrallel to the sidewalk/street and is approximately 80ft across. The second large opening is "filled" with a fenced in pond and thick trees/fences for people's backyards. The actual opening on one side of the fenced pond is about 15ft and on the otherside it is about 6ft between the fenced pond and a neighbors fenced backyard.

Hour 0: Initially what I would focus on is fortifying my own house whilest also "corrdinating" with neighbors and friends to see A) Who was going to "stick it out" B) Who I might be able to entice to stay and/or "move in" as well as a quicky meeting to figure out initial steps, community defense, etc. C) Ideally convincing some/all of my neighbors/friends who are staying to move in to my row of townhouses or at least the ones sorrounding the open area.

Fortification would involve demoing the steps to my 2nd floor, filling the bathtub and all water tight containers with water and moving them and all of the non-refridgerated food to my 2nd story as well as relocating some tools and weapons to the 2nd story, erecting a ladder to the 2nd story. This shouldn't take particularly long, probably only 4hrs or so.

Day 0: After the 2nd story is initially stocked and secured I'd board up my basement sliding door and window (walk-out basement) using the materials on hand and probably salvaging some from neighbor's fences and my own fence (mine is a privacy fence, not fully enclosing my backyard). Once complete, I'd focus on demoing the steps up to my back deck, boarding up my deck window, kitchen windows and front door (using a ladder out the 2nd story for ingress-egress). This would probably take about a full day to complete (resources are myself and my wife, the kids would pretty much not contribute anything at ages 2 and 4 other than runners to get things, when they are feeling cooperative).

Day 1: Work on fortifying my row of town houses boarding up windows and doors. Assuming I have at least two sets of neighbors who are staying who have moved in there, or already live in the row and have fortified their house, this shouldn't take more than about a day to accomplish (leaving upstairs stair cases intact and none of the decks have steps up to them in the row accept mine).

Day 2: Work on creating passages between the houses in my row of townhouses. With tools on hand and materials, with some help from the neighbors, quick and dirty demoed holes shouldn't take more than about a day to manage, supposing the electrical grid hasn't gone down yet (I am supposing it would take about 3-15 days for the grid to go down with a mass outbreak under way). Also younger kids/elderly neighbors focus on collecting all non-perishable food and filling all water tight containers from abandonded neighbors homes and moving it in to the fortified townhouse row

Day 4: Focus on fortifying the open area as well as the fronts of the houses surrounding the open area. There should be enough materials on hand in various neighbors fences and decks to easily construct a 6ft high fence across all of the open areas as well as boarding up the houses. This likely would take about 3 days, supposing 2-4 sets of neighbors to help.

Day 7 on: Continue to improve upon the open area fortifications, building a higher, more reinforced wall 3-6ft behind the initial fence using deck boards to get a good 8-10ft high wall. Backing with dirt, furniture, etc later on. Also fortify the houses surrounding the open area further, strengthing the boarded up windows and doors. Start fencing in/securing/boarding up the court my house faces on to, as it also only has a few small openings in to it, with the exception of the road (vehicles, dirt, furniture and fencing should be able to seal that off pretty well.

Once the open area was secure, depending on the season, work on begining vegetable gardens and farming in it. Till the soil, work on fertilizing it and plant any vegetable/fruit/grain seeds available and viable. Work on constructing, implementing rain barrels (my house already has one) for potable water for drinking/bathing and irrigation.

Also start organizing skills training/cross training of all remaining neighbors and friends. Start looking for other survivors willing to integrate. Setup weapons training, patrol/watch duties. Attempt to scavenge from nearby stores in small groups (grocery store, 2 liquor stores and a gas station are located about 3/4 of a mile away, this would probably be done somewhere around day 3 once initial boarding up was all done, at least for a quick attempted trip by vehicle or foot to grab some non-perishables and necessities like first aid stuff and bleach (great for purifying water)).

Pretty much "build out" from there improving fortifications, attempting to gather in more survivors if they'll integrate, improve skills, salvage stuff from nearby houses, scavenge from local stores (especially if the nearby costco and lowes could be hit, those would be the motherload, doubtful they could truely be completely picked over).
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Gavins Point hydroelectric dam. Its in my hometown and is like a bunker with a flat roof and all the electricity you can use. Great for growing food and has office space that could be converted to living areas and has like 2 doors in and out. Also has good fishing and fresh water obviously close at hand. Deer and wild turkey are plentiful and there are cows, chickens, pigs, sheep, and and even a small herd of buffalo with 15 minutes drive and could be released from confinement to go wild and hope to survive for later consumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavins_Point_Dam

EDIT to fix link... turns out the army corp of engineers' address is not correct or does not exsist any longer.
Last edited by Thinyser on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Razzinold
Hero

Operator6 wrote:
Let me begin with the fact that I like this topic a lot. With that disclaimer being said, I'm about to shoot holes in this thread, but hopefully, whatever crapolla I shoot at it will make it stronger and better. :D

Glad you are enjoying the thread, everyone keep the ideas coming!

Operator6 wrote:My biggest concern, oddly enough, wouldn't be from zombies. It would be from the low life scum that is tooling around looking to scavenge off of whatever anyone else has done through honest hard work. :x If your dogs bark, you better fix that quick! While they may seem like an early warning system, anyone with a rifle will try to make short work of them (dog is good eating worse case scenario).

low lifes would be a problem, I'm hoping that people wouldn't want to come all the way out there since there are no stores to raid and it's well hidden by trees, well other then the driveway :)

Operator6 wrote:Second, how much fuel do you have to run the generators and for how long?

Not sure exactly how much fuel he has on hand, but it's a fair bit, both gas and diesel and 3 VERY large propane tanks

Operator6 wrote:Do you have replacement parts?

Yup we have lots of spare parts, he has a mechanic shop in his shop on the property
Operator6 wrote:Do you have medicine?

Just basic stuff, like Tylenol and cough syrup, basic first aid kit

Operator6 wrote:Toilet paper (a very often overlooked commodity)?

Yeah, my parents buy in bulk at Costco

How much food do you have?[/quote]
A full freezer, large pantry and stocked cold cellar in the basement of the house, the pond is full of trout and there is a fairly heavily used deer trail in the back corner of the property

Operator6 wrote:Lastly, do you have some other place to keep watch over the house other then the towers?

Well there are the trees, and multiple roofs on the house, also the garage, loft roof, shop roof, other garage roof. Overtime I would build one, remember this scenario is taking place as in "Hey look there is our neighbour Mr. Brooks.....wholy crap he's a zombie! Grab the kids and lets head to dad's house" so no real time to prepare anything as opposed to a game of Dead Reign

Operator6 wrote:One S.O.B. with a law rocket, rpg or similar weapon really ruins your day. You don't want to publicize the fact that you have a watchtower, so one that is camouflaged that is detached to give early warning is perhaps the best. Vehicles? Do you have running vehicles and replacement parts for them? Getting a new vehicle to run after it is damaged is a pain, so older ones (hopefully several so you can easily change parts) is your best bet.

Man, don't even get me started on vehicles :D , he's got a 2000(and something) Tahoe, late '90s (early 2000) Z71 pickup 4x4, then WAY TOO classic cars to mention about 15 (ranging from 1965 - 1973) all fully restored, then another 4 or 5 in various stages of restoration, then spare parts, a fully assembled engine he won at last years Autofest

Operator6 wrote:Now that I have been a total Debbie Downer/Nancy Naysayer I will ashamedly go back under my rock. :(

don't hide under a rock, you came up with some good points, keep 'em coming :ok:
Operator6 wrote:I really do like this thread b/c it makes people really think things through. The "Oh I should have brought that!" or "I didn't think of that!" factors are great and it helps players and GM's prioritize things. Oh and what will the characters do for entertainment?
Illendaver
Explorer
Comment: If your happy and you know it clap your hands!
Location: Behind the throne, Whispering my comment into the emperors ear...

Unread post by Illendaver »

This is an awesome thread, I am going to have to come back to this sometime tomorrow because I have been up for about 30 hours straight now and I wanna go to bed, but I like how anybody can post their plan as well as posting ideas for your hideout too.
*McRipper said so*
Me: So, what all happened last time we played?
Friend: We went back to my place and got ROFL stomped by zombies.
Razzinold
Hero

Illendaver wrote:This is an awesome thread, I am going to have to come back to this sometime tomorrow because I have been up for about 30 hours straight now and I wanna go to bed, but I like how anybody can post their plan as well as posting ideas for your hideout too.

:ok: Glad you like the thread and good to see you're embracing the spirit in which it was posted! I may have started the thread, but it's not "my" thread. Every time someone points out a flaw in my hideout, I don't get offended, I use that to make a stronger hideout. I also like when people suggest ideas I never thought of for my hideout, as well as posting their own "perfect" hideout plans.

I saw a building in town the other day, that would also make a good spot to barricade, use it as a safe spot when making supply runs, maybe even have people man it 24 hours and swap them out on a rotating basis with people at another safe house. I also have to come up with a new safe house. I moved from Newcastle to Oshawa, so a lot harder to get to my dad's now. I went from a 2 minute drive to like a 20 minute drive (Well obeying traffic laws it's 15-20 minutes)
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Razzinold wrote:
Operator6 wrote:
How much food do you have?

A full freezer, large pantry and stocked cold cellar in the basement of the house, the pond is full of trout and there is a fairly heavily used deer trail in the back corner of the property

[?
[/quote]

For you food you say the pond out back has trout and the freezer/pantry. Ive herd you mention possibly needing more than 12 familys, but lets say its just you your dad and your family (im calling it 6 people not including what the dogs are gonna eat.) You are not prepared with construction of defenses watches patrols and just working more than your probaly used to your going to need 2500+ calories a person per day or more. Food wise Im betting even if you manage to power that cooler long enough to eat everythign out of it and eat all the carp and inless by full pantry you mean they have racks of canned veggies and stews and chillies like some one preping hard for downfall of the economy/govermental crackdown and possible end of the world as we know it. (SHTF/TEOWAWKT scenerio types) they are not stocked. You would need 1000+lb dried rice 1k+lb dried beans, 2k+lb un cracked wheat in dry storage and the tools to cook and prepare them. so a grain mill, stoves and what not.
Stair at your cupboard now pretend anything that needs milk butter and eggs is gone, now assume you cant go to the store. Look at the mass and size of a can of stew. even if you could split one can between two people 3 times a day your looking at 9 cans a day of eating. 9x30days is 270 cans of food. that can is say 1lb for ease of math. so 270lbs of canned food x6months =1620 cans or pounds of stew.... supliment with the fish that if eaten ever day will be gone in 2 weeks tops. yeah you dont have enough food.
So your gonna go out raiding places for food...the stores are going to be gutted so now you will have to go house to house and get food.....go back to your kitchen and say you get a 1/4 of that a house if yours is well stocked and posssibly less if they ate all theirs up waiting to die and scared of zombies. Your going to have to sweep and clear the whole house for zombies, or get cuaght by other scroungers and not have alot of zombie problems. so your in attack mode all the time and burning fuel how long does it take you to drive to the closset houses clear them out and for what? 10 cans of food some of wich might be bad or of little food value?

So your going to have to garden, say you have the seeds and tools on hand to do so. how long till the sprouted food is good to eat, how much work is it going to take to convert the grass and such into garden plots. how much more do you have to eat for the incresed work? now you have to weed and garden and still those crops wont be ready for a solid month maybe 4.....you dont have enough man power todo all of it, and food to feed all of you.
If you shoot a deer the raiders and zombies hear you...if you shoot and miss or only wound your going to have to shoot again. How many more people are now "poachers" out there will many deer be left with you and all the other survivors shooting up the animals all over the area? I see your biggest problem is going to be with grub. dont waste your fuel on the sprinkler system by the way as it is worth a crap load in an appocolypse...use it for the cars and genarators and dont run the genarators for the freezer and tv's and what not only for emergencies and heating in a dire situation.....oh yeah heat better go chop more wood to burn cuase that wont use up more calories and you cant use a chain saw cuase its to loud.....Food man you need more food.
Razzinold
Hero

Zamion138 wrote:
For you food you say the pond out back has trout and the freezer/pantry. Ive herd you mention possibly needing more than 12 familys,
I said I could fit a dozen families in there, not that I want/need a dozen families
but lets say its just you your dad and your family (im calling it 6 people not including what the dogs are gonna eat.)
that's a pretty good guess, it's 5 me, wife, two kids and my dad. At the time I first posted this my mother was still with us as were the dogs. I'm sad to say my mother passed away about a year ago, as have the dogs.

You are not prepared with construction of defenses watches patrols and just working more than your probaly used to your going to need 2500+ calories a person per day or more. Food wise Im betting even if you manage to power that cooler long enough to eat everythign out of it and eat all the carp and inless by full pantry you mean they have racks of canned veggies and stews and chillies like some one preping hard for downfall of the economy/govermental crackdown and possible end of the world as we know it. (SHTF/TEOWAWKT scenerio types) they are not stocked.
no it may not be stocked like some kind of survival guy expecting the end of the world, but it is full of sausage packed in fat, homemade sauces, as well as all the canned goods and such already mentioned
You would need 1000+lb dried rice 1k+lb dried beans, 2k+lb un cracked wheat in dry storage and the tools to cook and prepare them. so a grain mill, stoves and what not.
Stair at your cupboard now pretend anything that needs milk butter and eggs is gone, now assume you cant go to the store.
being of Italian heritage we eat a lot of pasta, so there are tons of bags of pasta in the cupboard, as well as numerous jars filled with sauce in the cold cellar, no egg, butter s or milk required :)

Look at the mass and size of a can of stew. even if you could split one can between two people 3 times a day your looking at 9 cans a day of eating. 9x30days is 270 cans of food. that can is say 1lb for ease of math. so 270lbs of canned food x6months =1620 cans or pounds of stew.... supliment with the fish that if eaten ever day will be gone in 2 weeks tops. yeah you dont have enough food.
So your gonna go out raiding places for food...the stores are going to be gutted so now you will have to go house to house and get food.....go back to your kitchen and say you get a 1/4 of that a house if yours is well stocked and posssibly less if they ate all theirs up waiting to die and scared of zombies. Your going to have to sweep and clear the whole house for zombies, or get cuaght by other scroungers and not have alot of zombie problems. so your in attack mode all the time and burning fuel how long does it take you to drive to the closset houses clear them out and for what? 10 cans of food some of wich might be bad or of little food value?
luckily for me there are plenty of houses near by that are in walking distance, once you clear the property on either side and driving distance of like a minute or two. He has a vegetable garden already. also(within walking distance) are other ponds and streams stocked full of fish, as well as multiple farms. So I eat their chickens, cows, pigs, wheat, vegetables, fruit. I either trade with them for it, take it if they're dead, possibly kill them for it. I'd rather trade over killing, but hey it is my family and I will protect them
So your going to have to garden, say you have the seeds and tools on hand to do so. how long till the sprouted food is good to eat, how much work is it going to take to convert the grass and such into garden plots. how much more do you have to eat for the incresed work? now you have to weed and garden and still those crops wont be ready for a solid month maybe 4.....you dont have enough man power todo all of it, and food to feed all of you.

If you shoot a deer the raiders and zombies hear you...if you shoot and miss or only wound your going to have to shoot again. How many more people are now "poachers" out there will many deer be left with you and all the other survivors shooting up the animals all over the area?
I have a compound bow for that
I see your biggest problem is going to be with grub. dont waste your fuel on the sprinkler system by the way as it is worth a crap load in an appocolypse...use it for the cars and genarators and dont run the genarators for the freezer and tv's and what not only for emergencies and heating in a dire situation.....
the sprinkler thing was kind of a joke, I also mentioned holy water and vampires
oh yeah heat better go chop more wood to burn cuase that wont use up more calories and you cant use a chain saw cuase its to loud.....Food man you need more food.

luckily for us we cut wood all year and give it to my uncle come winter, so no problems there either
Zamion138
Hero

Razzinold wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:
For you food you say the pond out back has trout and the freezer/pantry. Ive herd you mention possibly needing more than 12 familys,
I said I could fit a dozen families in there, not that I want/need a dozen families
but lets say its just you your dad and your family (im calling it 6 people not including what the dogs are gonna eat.)
that's a pretty good guess, it's 5 me, wife, two kids and my dad. At the time I first posted this my mother was still with us as were the dogs. I'm sad to say my mother passed away about a year ago, as have the dogs.

You are not prepared with construction of defenses watches patrols and just working more than your probaly used to your going to need 2500+ calories a person per day or more. Food wise Im betting even if you manage to power that cooler long enough to eat everythign out of it and eat all the carp and inless by full pantry you mean they have racks of canned veggies and stews and chillies like some one preping hard for downfall of the economy/govermental crackdown and possible end of the world as we know it. (SHTF/TEOWAWKT scenerio types) they are not stocked.
no it may not be stocked like some kind of survival guy expecting the end of the world, but it is full of sausage packed in fat, homemade sauces, as well as all the canned goods and such already mentioned
You would need 1000+lb dried rice 1k+lb dried beans, 2k+lb un cracked wheat in dry storage and the tools to cook and prepare them. so a grain mill, stoves and what not.
Stair at your cupboard now pretend anything that needs milk butter and eggs is gone, now assume you cant go to the store.
being of Italian heritage we eat a lot of pasta, so there are tons of bags of pasta in the cupboard, as well as numerous jars filled with sauce in the cold cellar, no egg, butter s or milk required :)

Look at the mass and size of a can of stew. even if you could split one can between two people 3 times a day your looking at 9 cans a day of eating. 9x30days is 270 cans of food. that can is say 1lb for ease of math. so 270lbs of canned food x6months =1620 cans or pounds of stew.... supliment with the fish that if eaten ever day will be gone in 2 weeks tops. yeah you dont have enough food.
luckily for me there are plenty of houses near by that are in walking distance, once you clear the property on either side and driving distance of like a minute or two. He has a vegetable garden already. also(within walking distance) are other ponds and streams stocked full of fish, as well as multiple farms. So I eat their chickens, cows, pigs, wheat, vegetables, fruit. I either trade with them for it, take it if they're dead, possibly kill them for it. I'd rather trade over killing, but hey it is my family and I will protect them

If you shoot a deer the raiders and zombies hear you...if you shoot and miss or only wound your going to have to shoot again. How many more people are now "poachers" out there will many deer be left with you and all the other survivors shooting up the animals all over the area?
I have a compound bow for that
I see your biggest problem is going to be with grub. dont waste your fuel on the sprinkler system by the way as it is worth a crap load in an appocolypse...use it for the cars and genarators and dont run the genarators for the freezer and tv's and what not only for emergencies and heating in a dire situation.....
the sprinkler thing was kind of a joke, I also mentioned holy water and vampires
oh yeah heat better go chop more wood to burn cuase that wont use up more calories and you cant use a chain saw cuase its to loud.....Food man you need more food.

luckily for us we cut wood all year and give it to my uncle come winter, so no problems there either

Vampires are no joke...
Razzinold
Hero

Zamion138 wrote:Vampires are no joke...

The ones that sparkle are! :lol:
Zamion138
Hero

If those are vampires im an effing alien intellegence on par with toth.....
Illendaver
Explorer

My Perfect Hideout would have to be the family farm. I currently live in North Platte Nebraska. If I am at home when the zombie out break happens I am lucky enough to live 1 block away from the edge of town. I would load up my family and drive down the highway to Paxton, stopping at my Uncles place to tell him to load up. I would call my father and tell him to head out while avoiding North Platte. He would call my aunt who lives in Ogallala. I would then make haste to the safety of the family farm. In total, the alerted people who should be there within 2-3 hours are: Me, my wife, my 1year old and 2 year old daughters, my father, stepmother, halfbrother, 3 uncles, 4 aunts, and 4 cousins (one of them is in college in Michigan, otherwise it would be 5. good luck)

The family farm is located roughly 12-16 miles north of Madrid Nebraska. Once there and settled in, I will make phone calls and if necessary a special trip south to Bartley Nebraska to locate and evacuate (on my mothers side of the family)my Grandfather, my uncle and my aunt. My wife would have called her sister and had her bring her family (her, her husband, a 16 year old son and a 18 year old daughter and their mom) I would have to call my mom who is a Director of Nursing in Chadron Nebraska (I personally have little faith that she would make it due to her proximity to the outbreak) And I would have to call my younger brother who still lives with mom (he is 18 and has no excuse to be near zombies, he should be able to drive down to me a 2-3 hour trip) After ensuring my family was safe, I would try calling my friends and networking a survivor group until the phones/internet/power went down.

My Grandpa is a German carpenter who came to America during WWII he arrived in Nebraska and lived in a shed working on a farm for an older couple who needed a hired hand. He eventually bought the farm/ had it given to him (I am still not sure about that, I have to ask him) built himself a house and got married. As more children were born he added on to his house. The house now has three bathrooms, four bedrooms, a dining room, a living room, a den, a laundry room, a childrens play room in the basement that could be converted into a bedroom, two offices, a mud room (Most farms I have been to have these, a small room at the front door that connects to a small bathroom for you to take your boots off and get cleaned up before coming into the actual house) and an indoor pool. The house that the older couple lived in that hired grandpa is still there, it doesn't have indoor plumbing, or electricity. Also, one of my uncles bought a trailer house and set it up on the farm as well. I think it has two bedrooms.

From this point on, my position as leader is most likely forfeit, however, I intend to set up a large barbedwire fence around the farm (half the farm is already fenced in for pasture land, wouldn't take much more work to get it the rest of the way) And then layer it out until we ran out of barbed wire. 6 layers of barbedwire should hold a zed long enough for a patrol on a horse to find them. My family all love to hunt, so they all have plenty of guns and ammo (plus two of my uncles live less than 10 miles from the farm. You can see one of their houses just from the upstairs window in the house) And a few bows and arrows (the special re-curve ones that my cousin loves to show off) My Grandpa has retired now, but he still has around 100+ head of Black Angus Beef cows. We have 6 silos filled with corn and wheat, and another that is full of oats for feed. Many round hay bales (I am not there and haven't counted since I was 13 but I would guess around 30) About 15 chickens, and between 4-6 horses. Food is not really a concern, but safety is. My wife and her sister are nurses who work for nursing homes......

And she is yelling at me to go to bed. :roll:
I will continue this at another time, but your input will be helpful.

As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted... Safety is a concern. We would have at least one, hopefully a few nurses in the place to help with medical problems, but those are nurses, not doctors. If anything worse than a mild infection happens (I.E. a few of my relatives are diabetic, insulin is going to cause real problems quickly.) We are going to be up a creek. Also, I hate/fear snakes, and growing up on the farm I know there are plenty of them out there. It only takes one bite from a rattler and you are pushing up daisys within two days. Hopefully the zombies eat them all.

Speaking of zombies eating them all, I would have to organize a group to help grandpa move all his cattle to the pasture near the farm for protection. That way at night we can herd them back to the barn/corral that is in the fenced in area, we would be able to hear from the house if there was a problem, and there will have to be somebody keeping watch at night anyways. After spending a day or two getting everyone and everything situated on the farm, I intend to take my pos car and head out to Madrid (I am most likely going to die in one of the few outings I intend to do, but I would rather it be me because I have no real skills to add to the survival of the group that somebody else can't do better)

Madrid is a nice small town of 250 or so people. It is so small that it doesn't have a school or hospital, which should mean little/no zed. Madrid does have a blacksmith, butcher, gas station, and cafe, and even if there is only 50 people left in town, that is worth trying to communicate and make friends with. That way we can trade for what we need. There is also a fairly new ethenol plant that was built in Madrid a few years ago, if enough workers lived, we could have a good fuel source.

Assuming that a "Children of the Corn" situation didn't happen in Madrid and I am not shot on sight, I will then be planning a trip up to Lake McConaughy. But not for beneficial purposes. North Platte, Lexington, Kearney, Grand Island, Columbus... All of these places are the Medical Centers for their entire county... thats a lot of zombies... by day five of the outbreak, I strongly suggest you to be away from here. I intend to stop by the old Mining company that mostly just drills wells nowadays that is near Keystone and I am going to pick up some TNT and blasting wire. I am going to blow the Kingsley Damn (Mind you, only if zombies are everywhere, government has failed completely, and if I survive. I think you are all pretty safe)

After that, If I am still around, I will head back to the farm and hope that my friends made it out ok, wherever they are. Maybe they will come out and see me again, but I doubt it. My family and I would have to work hard to try to harvest as much as possible from the crops we have, then we will need to downsize a lot (They own Acres upon Acres of land and farm it all, but without tractors and combines we won't be able to. Just horse and hand power now). There are tons of jars for canning goods and we have a few windmills on our pastures for water. (Plus an old-fashioned hand pump at the old farmhouse) When my grandmother (Dads side) was alive she ordered the boys to mend the fence so she could have a big garden, and I mean about as big as a city block, it is still there, covered in weeds and dead vines... just waiting for some people to come work the ground. We can trade for seed at Madrid or steal some out of a Orschelns that is on the edge of town in Ogallala, North Platte, or McCook. Pretty much, I intend to have my family become "Retro-Saints" because we aren't religiously crazy enough to think that computers destroyed the world, but there isn't much we will be able to do to keep the power on. We will have to make due the old fashioned way. But if pioneers could do it in crappy wagons, I think we stand a pretty good chance. Wish me Luck.
*McRipper said so*
Illendaver
Explorer

Sigh... I killed the thread...
*McRipper said so*
Razzinold
Hero

You didn't kill the thread, I just don't log on as much lately and forgot to check it.

Your setup sounds pretty good, it's risky running all around picking up family members, yes they are helpful and who doesn't want their loved ones around, but you are taking a risk heading out numerous times and you may lead something back. Though it is nice that Madrid has a small starting population.

The cows are a nice asset, keeping them safe would be a full time job for some of you in your group, what looks like a good meal for you might also appear that way to a zombie :D and also any other human passing by.

It's nice to have some medical trained people in the house, people needing monthly prescriptions would be hard to deal with, my daughter requires a prescription as well, she wouldn't die without it (it's for her ADHD) but without it she is easily excitable and has a hard time focusing. I would just hit up a pharmacy and take whatever I could.

Now you mentioned there are fences, are they wood ? wire ? are they barbed ? How high are the fences ?
You sound like you have the resources (being a farm) if you have the ability, you should set up razor wire (like they did between trenches in the war) the zeds would walk right into it and get all tangled up.
Illendaver
Explorer

Razzinold wrote:Now you mentioned there are fences, are they wood ? wire ? are they barbed ? How high are the fences ?
You sound like you have the resources (being a farm) if you have the ability, you should set up razor wire (like they did between trenches in the war) the zeds would walk right into it and get all tangled up.

A little of all of the above. There is a set of wooden fence around the barn that is about 8 foot high with metal gates to corral the cattle. Past the corral is a small pasture, which is enclosed by barbed wire and electric. Past that is pasture land, fenced in with just barbed wire. I was figuring I would dig a 5 foot by 2 foot trench and then run a barbed wire fence around it, dig a second trench down 8 foot and fence it in with a walkway in between the trenches. Problem is that the farm mostly is built on hard packed clay, It will take a hell of a lot of time and effort to dig anything past three feet. That way it should be easy to patrol the perimiter. I think we have enough barbed wire to triple fence it all around and if we don't people could be sent out in teams to scavenge the fence from our land.
*McRipper said so*
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

Go with concertina coil type perimeter set up with the barbed wire instead of standard agricultural strand wiring you'll get better perimeter security and less predators -both 4 and 2 legged- in anycase.
It's real easy to make the coils for it and deployment is incrediably fast and easy as well.
Won't be good as razor wire but a lot better than a standard barbed wire setup.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.

Return to “Dead Reign™”