Holding one's breath

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Sentinel
Palladin

Re: Holding one's breath

Unread post by Sentinel »

gadrin wrote:any rules in HU ? (or anywhere in PB?) Book and page # if you got it.

Yes, there is a statement about how long one can hold ones' breath.
I'll have to look up a page number for you later.

I'll trot out Rifts Underseas in a few.

Also pull out your copy of Powers Unlimited One, for the minor power Hold Breath.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

Sentinel wrote:Also pull out your copy of Powers Unlimited One, for the minor power Hold Breath.

This is an actual POWER??

I don't know why I am so surprised - Clock Manipulation was a Major for awhile...
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Sentinel
Palladin

You Know wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Also pull out your copy of Powers Unlimited One, for the minor power Hold Breath.

I don't know why I am so surprised - Clock Manipulation was a Major for awhile...

I think it still is.

Also, I seem to recall there is something in Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide about how long a character can hold his breath.
Also check skills like Depressurization Training, and similar skills in the Rifts GMG and Phase World.

Overlord Rikonius
Hero
Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!

Unread post by Overlord Rikonius »

Sentinel wrote:
You Know wrote:

I think it still is.
I'm pretty sure it's a minor in HU2. Which is good, because, while stopping bombs and being able to instakill anyone with a pacemaker is cool and all, it doesn't compare at all with invulnerability, controling elemental forces, running at mach 1, or the other major powers.
GP: 16,019.8 / JP: 30 / MZP: 75
"Overlord Rikonius is the Roland Deschain of Bad Puns, he fires them off that fast" - CornholioPrime
"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.
Sentinel
Palladin

Overlord Rikonius 360 wrote:
Sentinel wrote:
You Know wrote:

I think it still is.
I'm pretty sure it's a minor in HU2. Which is good, because, while stopping bombs and being able to instakill anyone with a pacemaker is cool and all, it doesn't compare at all with invulnerability, controling elemental forces, running at mach 1, or the other major powers.

I agree.
Of course, even among Minors and Majors, not all powers are going to seem equal. Especially with Powers Unlimited One.

Sentinel
Palladin

gadrin wrote:actually I'm not interested in the POWER but in how it's figured for any character, like a Hardware pc or a Physical Training character (vanilla ones as I call them).

but I will check out PU1 and HU2. 8-)

I didn't see anything in Kuseru's New rules and powers for P.E.

Maybe it's in the Martial Arts Netbook, as Hold Breath-Fu. :lol:

cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

rules for holding one's breath exist, but rules for what happens when the time expires do not. I've looked through every PB I own, which is the entire RIFTS line plus a sprinkling of others, and nowhere could I find rules for drowning. :x
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

cyber-yukongil v2.5 wrote:rules for holding one's breath exist, but rules for what happens when the time expires do not. I've looked through every PB I own, which is the entire RIFTS line plus a sprinkling of others, and nowhere could I find rules for drowning. :x

it's...assumed that once you can't hold your breath any longer, you drown and die.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread post by Guest »

gadrin wrote:actually I'm not interested in the POWER but in how it's figured for any character, like a Hardware pc or a Physical Training character (vanilla ones as I call them).

but I will check out PU1 and HU2. 8-)

I didn't see anything in Kuseru's New rules and powers for P.E.
That's because I use a simplistic formula. P.E.xmelees for normal P.E., doubled for Extraordinary, tripled for Superhuman, and quadrupled for Supernatural (P.E.xminutes).
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

gadrin wrote:any rules in HU ? (or anywhere in PB?) Book and page # if you got it.

I'll trot out Rifts Underseas in a few.

Invulnerable characters are stated to be able to hold their breath for 12 minutes, which is further stated to be four times that of a normal person, making the standard time 3 minutes.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Invulnerable characters are stated to be able to hold their breath for 12 minutes, which is further stated to be four times that of a normal person, making the standard time 3 minutes.
Sounds good to me. BTW what's the time for "hold breath" in the mutant animal section?

Unread post by Guest »

gadrin wrote:
Kuseru Satsujin wrote:That's because I use a simplistic formula. P.E.xmelees for normal P.E., doubled for Extraordinary, tripled for Superhuman, and quadrupled for Supernatural (P.E.xminutes).

that seems soft given the formula in Rifts Underseas.
I suppose it might, in a way, but if you remember, the average person has a P.E. of effectively 11, meaning they can hold their breath for almost three minutes before drowning (fairly realistic), whereas a supernatural creature can hold it's breath quite long underwater.

I suppose I can't really criticize, since it's an "all over the place" issue much like the one that forced you to write up the PE stuff in the first place.
I went with the KISS method of doing it, and oddly enough it seems to work well.

For supernatural PE, I'd probably tend towards PE in Hours or 1/2 hours, -- something a little more heroic.
Several supernatural creatures already only hold their breath for PE in minutes. I could probably go into some big scientific discourse about lung size/capacity vs consumption of oxygen, but really, P.E. in minutes is quite heroic enough already, especially given that the average supernatural creature would be able to hold their breath for 15-20 minutes...about five to seven times that of the average human.

of course it would be a nice way to kill off a demi-god/godling/dragon hatchling character 8-)
Suffocation is always a nice way of killing your enemies.
Sentinel
Palladin

Using creatures like dolphins, whales, and Pneuma-Biforms might also give a good indication of "heroic" levels of how long one can hold ones' breath when there is a question about it.

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Dolphins and other aquatic mammals have a substance called Myoglobin in their muscles that stores oxygen, giving them reserves humans and others do not normally have.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

Page 21 of the aliens unlimited galaxy guide under paragraph 1 of aquatic worlds suggests one round per point of PE before losing consciousness and drowning.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Seems a bit excessive, that means an untrained human with an average PE can hold their breath 2.5 minutes. I do not know about you, but I can't.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

without artificial o2 assistance beforehand, someone has pulled off 11 minutes, lol.

In my younger days I could almost get to 2
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Vincent Takeda wrote:without artificial o2 assistance beforehand, someone has pulled off 11 minutes, lol.

In my younger days I could almost get to 2

There are two different skills that can double your breath holding time, meaning a trained person with both skills could theoretically hit 30 minutes if they had max PE...assuming they add. If they are effectively the same, well then it still gets to 15.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

APS Void [PU3] also offers "A victim can hold his breath for approximately 5 seconds per P.E. attribute point"
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Incriptus wrote:APS Void [PU3] also offers "A victim can hold his breath for approximately 5 seconds per P.E. attribute point"

That seems more realistic.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

I'm a fantastically out of shape asthmatic and even I can pull off 50 seconds readily without prep. Maybe not 'under duress' though. I feel like the difference between 5 seconds and 15 seconds per PE point is the difference between 'realistic' and 'cinematic'
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The question is "hold your breath for what? And where?"
In space or underwater or in a gas field or what.

As for what happens afterwards, as I recall it is treated as a choke attack and you take damage to HP until you die or get air.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Well, the situation was someone lobbed a gas grenade into the room, so they were fighting the attackers to get their gas masks...

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”