P.P. Bonuses and Modern W.P.

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Well, officially, no, but I always thought that was stupid and allowed characters to include PP bonuses.

Incidentally, all superpowers allow the exact same thing with natural energy/projectile blasts. And to have them keep up with firearms, I give them bonuses to strike at certain levels just as with WPs.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

well, I also reduced the WP bonus progression to half to compensate - people still get better with experience, but more gradually.

Also, concerning AR, the rule I always use (when I'm not using one of my homebrew armor systems) is unless the attacker specifically tries to target an unarmored portion of the body (called shot), strike bonuses do not count to determine armor penetration.

For example

Man1 with gun (+5 to strike) fires a shot at Man2 with Body Armor (AR 15). Man1 doesn't attempt a called shot (which would probably incur penalties - the degree of which depends on the size of the target) - he just tries to hit Man2.

Man1 rolls a strike - he rolls 12 on a D20 and with his bonus of +5 to strike gets a total of 17.

Man2 fails his dodge roll vs the 17 and gets hit, but because it was a standard shot, only the die roll gets counted to penetrate the armor. 12 doesn't beat an AR 15, so while the bullet hits Man2 - it doesn't penetrate his body armor.

This little house rule actually makes wearing light armor like Flak Jackets (AR 10 to 12) actually mean something.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

While I could argue agenist for adding PP bonuses to MWPs , that is not what I wanted to say

But I do Add the PP bonuse to my dexterity skills. To convert a D20 bonuse to a % bomus you multiply the d20 bonuse by 5.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Generally no, you don't add Physical Prowess strike bonuses to your modern weapon proficiencies. I say generally because that is the general practice of those who play the game.. the rules are not set in stone on this issue, but they imply strongly that modern and ancient weapons are different in this regard.
The philosophy behind it all is that ancient weapons are a natural partnership.. the bow or sword is an extension of the person, but the barking hunk of metal that is the machine gun is an artless tool, never really under the complete control of the person.

Now as for the rules.. if you add the P.P. bonuses to Modern W.P.s unmodified, you are going to unbalance things.. you need to tone them down somewhat. I would suggest you listen to Cardiac, he knows what he is talking about (that rule of not allowing strike bonuses vs A.R. on uncalled shots is brilliant!).
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Jason Richards
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Tell this poor gentleman the truth. You do NOT use P.P. bonuses with modern weapons. That's the rule.

Change it if you like, but according to Palladium, that's the way it goes.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Yup, pairing Heroes Unlimited with Ninjas and Superspies is a very good idea.. they fit like hand to glove.
(ignoring the whole OJ Simpson thing...)
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

personally I don't understand the concept of overbalancing,.. unless you are talking about making too many rules to counteract everything else

but in my game I use PP/10 as a bonus for ranged weapons.
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

ZEN wrote:Generally no, you don't add Physical Prowess strike bonuses to your modern weapon proficiencies. I say generally because that is the general practice of those who play the game.. the rules are not set in stone on this issue, but they imply strongly that modern and ancient weapons are different in this regard.
The philosophy behind it all is that ancient weapons are a natural partnership.. the bow or sword is an extension of the person, but the barking hunk of metal that is the machine gun is an artless tool, never really under the complete control of the person.

Now as for the rules.. if you add the P.P. bonuses to Modern W.P.s unmodified, you are going to unbalance things.. you need to tone them down somewhat. I would suggest you listen to Cardiac, he knows what he is talking about (that rule of not allowing strike bonuses vs A.R. on uncalled shots is brilliant!).
8-)

I thought that WAS the rule for years.... I always treated it as your straight role was to see if it shot through the AR.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Daniel Stoker wrote:I thought that WAS the rule for years.... I always treated it as your straight role was to see if it shot through the AR.

Daniel Stoker

In my group, we used to believe the straight roll to strike was what determined success of penetrating AR. It just seemed like a better idea to allow for the(sometimes) rather high strike bonuses that can be gained. Therefore, AR actually meant something. But, that allowed for idiots to have the same chance as expert marksmen. Also, with things that have a natural AR, hitting them might be easy, but actually damaging them would be nigh impossible. Someone with APS: Metal would only have a 10% chance, each attack, of being damaged if you do not include bonuses. Hitting an unarmored portion is impossible, because they are entirely metal.

Basically, it's a good idea when applied to dealing with AR from body armors, but not natural AR. Of course, maybe it was assumed within Cardiac's rule that natural AR is treated differently.
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Where can we find Cardiac's rule, it sounds cool and workable even ? :?
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Rimmer wrote:Where can we find Cardiac's rule, it sounds cool and workable even ? :?

Uhm..... It's in this thread...
Rimmer
Adventurer

Unread post by Rimmer »

Sorry, shouda looked :thwak: Bad Rimmer Bad, bothering nice posters.

So the rule is straight die roll to get past AR, unless called shot, then bonuses to strike count towards getting past AR.
I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”