Advancing powers with experience

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cranus
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cranus »

I like the level-based power improvements. Ironically, I was in a conversation about how a "new" gamer friend's old GM did something similar. Heck, it would a neat way for PC's to develop their own power stunts (to coin the phrase from the old MSH) as they gain levels.

One question: at level 9, is it possible for it to serve as an auto-dodge against multiple attacks?
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

See the 'Skills for Powers' thread for some ideas on power stunts, if you are so inclined.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

I've separated all the majors and some of the minors into level by level ala Cosmic Enforcers. I liked the idea of things changing and characters actually substantially getting tougher and better

with the level system and my power control system a power could turn into something else all together than what i have in my book

if they try for a power stunt and use it a lot then instead of getting whatever that level 4 ability might be they get to use the power stung regularly and then we continue trying to get that level 4 ability just delayed a bit now

most of my powers max out at 13th level with a catastrophic ability liike my APS plant has Plutos Welcome which involves a lot of razor sharp thorns, blooed letting, vine mummification etc etc kind of inspired by the fantastic effects in Platform RPGs like FF series
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Why not just say the power grants the PC an auto doge and since
its all mental based (turning on an off) whatever is the ME bonus
counts as the auto dodge bonus, like ME of 18 is a +2 auto dodge bonus.
I suppose you could have the power also have a +1 auto dodge
at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15. That way the Intangible guy with
Extra ME could have a max of +8 at first level. Kind of munckin,
but not to many offensive things you can do while intangible. :P
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

well I would use my power control to work up a parry/dodge for that

BUT
as for the basic game I would use IQ and ME
IQ I regard as your quickness
ME is your mental stability, in Cyberpunk I would call it your Cool. So ME because you have to keep your head and condition yourself not to just duck but to stand there and do something alien and IQ for the quickness of activating

so without my pc check I would do (IQ+ME)/2=avg
avg bonus+lvl=total bonus
now adding the level in beause the more experienced you are with the power the more comfortable you feel with it and the more you know how to use it (obviously)

sigh Yes I understand that it is more work but it is a one time deal and a realistic one that represents each character individually

someone with a low IQ isn't going to be able to think that fast
someone with a low ME is going to go more on instinct
someone with a low level might not be able to activate it quickly enough to dodge/parry

but that's my take
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”