Hardware Characters?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Your opinion of Hardware Characters?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:20 am

Don't bother they stink!
6%
Give me Weapons Experts!
24%
Give me a Electronics Expert!
24%
Give me a Vehicle Expert!
6%
Give me the God Almighty the Analyical Genius!
41%

Total votes: 17

Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

You forgot the "I love them all response"

However, I DO think they need a definate expansion. More construction options, more suggestions on what they can (and can't) create, better construction rules. Basically, have you ever seen Gurps:Vehicles? I don't want something that complicated, but man that book has nothing but options in it. You can literally build anything from a wooden cart to a Starship. That's why I think it REALLY sucks that Hardware Unlimited got the shaft - that little area of the HU world needs a SERIOUS re-writing.

One little pet peeve of mine is that players sometimes look at the Analytical Genius and think "WOW why would I pick any of the others". It's because while the AG is a jack of all trades, he is a master of none. He is a dabbler, and any good Vehicle/Elecronic/Weapon character can whip his butt in their respective fields.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Cardiac wrote:You forgot the "I love them all response"

However, I DO think they need a definate expansion. More construction options, more suggestions on what they can (and can't) create, better construction rules. Basically, have you ever seen Gurps:Vehicles? I don't want something that complicated, but man that book has nothing but options in it. You can literally build anything from a wooden cart to a Starship. That's why I think it REALLY sucks that Hardware Unlimited got the shaft - that little area of the HU world needs a SERIOUS re-writing.

One little pet peeve of mine is that players sometimes look at the Analytical Genius and think "WOW why would I pick any of the others". It's because while the AG is a jack of all trades, he is a master of none. He is a dabbler, and any good Vehicle/Elecronic/Weapon character can whip his butt in their respective fields.

I'm with you. The 'I love them all' response needs to be added.

Hardware characters are great, and truth be told the only limits to what they can create are what the GM puts down. I don't know that I wouldn't allow the occasional minor Super-Invention depending on the cirumstances (hey, somebody's got to invent the things).

The only real downside I've seen with Hardware characters is that you have to establish extremely good communication with the GM (more so than normal) -- let him/her know exactly what your character wants to do/build and how your character wants to go about doing it.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

I'm partial to the Weapons + Electronics combo myself, but I too love them all :love:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”