Extra Strength -- Extra SDC?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

How about this -

Extraordinary PS: +50 SDC
Superhuman PS: + 40+1D6x10 SDC
Supernatural PS: + 4D4x10 SDC

BUT - the extra SDC is ONLY available to those who actually have the powers and not "equivalents." For example - most of the APS powers give the hero the "equivalent" of Extrordinary or Superhuman Strength, along with Force Aura and a select few other powes - these do NOT get the SDC bonus - just what they normally offer (carry/lift capacity, fatigue resistance and possibly PS bonus).
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

SDC/HP are based off of stats in my game

SDC:
PS+PE=Base
SDC per level: (PS/10) d 6

HP:
PE=Base
HP per level: (PE/10) d 6
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

I'm not of the mind that extra strength HAS to automatically equal extra SDC, particularly when there is a plethora of other super abilities that do grant extra SDC already, but I like both Cardiac's and Montague's approaches if one wanted to go that route.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

I was of the same mind UncS, untill a player pointed out "well, why do we get SDC bonuses from being able to run at super-speed?"

Basically, I figure a speedster gets extra SDC because their bodies are tougher from the enhanced musculature and their skin is more resistant to collisions and scrapes/cuts/burns (which you would get is you tripped up while running 200 mph down an ashfault road).

So, a character with super-strength would get extra SDC due to their enhanced musculature and reinforced body structures able to support heavy loads (or from a low-power TK feild that actually does the lifting, or however you explain a particular character's super-strength).
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Cardiac wrote:I was of the same mind UncS, untill a player pointed out "well, why do we get SDC bonuses from being able to run at super-speed?"

Basically, I figure a speedster gets extra SDC because their bodies are tougher from the enhanced musculature and their skin is more resistant to collisions and scrapes/cuts/burns (which you would get is you tripped up while running 200 mph down an ashfault road).

So, a character with super-strength would get extra SDC due to their enhanced musculature and reinforced body structures able to support heavy loads (or from a low-power TK feild that actually does the lifting, or however you explain a particular character's super-strength).

I don't know that you've convinced me, but that's the best argument for that line of thought I've heard yet.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
KillWatch
Champion

well that depends on the origin of the powers
XPS that would apply but not SNPS

If it has a physcial representation I don't see why not

I multiply PS by 10 to get base weight (depending on height/build)

if the PS doesn't want their weight to be 300 for a PS 30 then obviously it isn't going to have a physiological affect thereby not making him more dense

However I also do silly things like add 6" to width for every added 10 PS over 20

sure you could take the triple helix route of Fifth Element fame but then I would rule that it could be negated
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
KillWatch
Champion

I am all for creative twists as long as it doesn't touch on another power Like your PS-TK item. And it's called EXTRAORDINARY PHYSICAL STRENGTH not the ability to lift heavy things

Marvel does that DC does that that's why I Play HU becuase one power can not develope into 50 others
Flash was based on 1 power-Super Speed
but he is now able to go intangible, time travel, cause things to explode (by tapping into the speedforce and causing their molecules to hyper agitate)

or Magneto being able to draw the iron from someone's blood. In the movie it was a bit better because they fed him concentrated iron but in the comics he went around killing people by creating blockages to stop blood flow to the brain or the heart he was able to paralyze etc
To me that's magenetism and bio manipulation tied into each other with which I would be fine with but he doesn't have it

I want my powers to have some kind of semblance of reality
the creamy twinkie gives me my ability to nuke a city
I MIGHT accept that if you have a good story like the chemical composition of the filling was so anomolous that it affects your latent mutant powers in adverse ways, but to normal people it does nothing

Mutant Powers are all about physics and physiology even if it's manipulating specific quantum wavelengths to produce fire out of your bum (not a PC thing but MAYBE an NPC-if the game gets too tense and we need a bit of comic relief)
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

BAH!
If the players point out that super speedsters get an S.D.C bonus and the super strength characters miss out, immediately apologize for the gross oversight and abolish all S.D.C bonuses for super speedsters!

One must maintain the ancient art of 'Shutupandstopruleslawyering'.

8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

prophet118 wrote:well, really once looking at it, super strength of any sort shouldnt give you any extra sdc... theres no reason for it..

course i suppose you could argue that super speed doesnt deserve it either... but the great god KevinS. said so.... so boo yah

Well, I wouldn't promote Kevin S. to goodhood yet. He makes lots of mistakes as well. So just because KS "never said so" doesn't make it right (this IS a guy who almost never put magic in the HU system after all).

Besides, giving SDC to super strength powers is a house rule I use in my game. I'm not saying "change the system" (though I've already patched the system using borrowed rules so that it's a bit more fun and playable IMHO).

The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

hmm Considering that super speed add SDC bonus, as well as FLight , toa llow survive the extreme efforts, I think that yes super strenght could add SDC bonus
BUT
considering that there is a plenty of minor powers that increase SDC , well , don't expect the SDC bonus to be tooo much
Extraordinary strenght Does not need SDC bonus...why? Becuse as it ay is still in reahc of human limits, so you dont really need excessive beefing up
SH PS Will need at best 3 to 18 SDC, and i'm generous
SN PS ok here 10-40 SDC are what one need to say "i'm strong enough to survive my own fist
If you want more thant this...well M***** sacrifice one minor power slot and take increased durability or EX PE
After all most big bruisers of comics have Super strenght and durability...
And considering the average is one major and two minor....What the heck!!!
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
KillWatch
Champion

all of that and it could simply be solved by using PS+PE as a base lol

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”