Strenght categories and parrying

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

actually no I've never seen that
I've seen them dodge but never parry without getting banged up

but it depnds on how well you roll I guess High enough and you deftly push the weapon/fist off to the side
any less and you are caught taking the brunt although not to your head or torso

to simulate this I would give a -1 to parry every 10 PS above the defender. THis however would only apply to parries
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Strenght categories and parrying

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Elric wrote:There are 4 strength categories:

* Normal PS
* Extraordinary
* Superhuman
* Supernatural

Can a person with Normal PS parry, for example, one with Extraordinary or higher? What about the other combinations?

Ty.

Yes, any strength level can parry any other strength level. It would make sense to use the knockdown rules though if the difference is two or more strength levels. Of course if the attacker is significantly larger than the defender (and I mean giant-sized), parrying will generally be impossible, unless doing so with telekinetic force field or the like.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Hmmm.. good question, not really addressed by the rules very well. :-?

I'd try giving a negative to parry for every strength category the defender is below the attacker.
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

yes, avoid giving accuracy bonuses for strength..
You might want to leave the strike/parry stats as is, but simply have the character doing the parry take damage each time (1D4?).

I'd imagine blocking a real powerhouse hitter would get very painfull after a while.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Well, I tend to use common sense in most situations - a 6ft hero is NOT going to be able to personally parry a blow from a 60ft giant, even if he is just as strong.

I sort of like Montagues suggestion on imposing a penalty to parry against "stronger" attacks, and I like the penalty for going up against a higher PS category - maybe a combination of the two? Little from column a, little from column b?
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”