Giant heavy weapons

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Larsen
Adventurer

Giant heavy weapons

Unread post by Larsen »

I was just watching terminator where they throw each other around and it got me thinkin about how weight affects things. So my question is lets say a character has a sword that weighs 300 pounds and he can use it how much damage would the sword do just because of its weight not even taking into account the strength required to weild that puppy?
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

about 3-4 feet long
Toasty_Duck

Unread post by Toasty_Duck »

I would think that yes a larger sword would do more damage, but wouldn't it be much slower for attacking as well. I would personally give a 6' sword a -1 or -2 in attack. Granted once it hits its target it makes up for the slower attack speed with the much greater amount of damage that it does.

Toasty_Duck
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

isn't the weight:damage like 1d6/10lb?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

i hope that weight damage thing really exists because im gonna use it. It just doesn't make sense that a 2 lb 3 foot sword inflicts the same amount of damage as a 200lb 3 ft sword. thx again mr montague
KillWatch
Champion

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS
PRAISE ME PRAISE ME
ONE AND ALL
:fool: :thwak: :fool:

bad ego bad
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
KillWatch
Champion

sigh Cloud may have had SNPS

in my game I had to determine what weight could be wielded without penalty so this is what I came up with

5% of carry 1 handed
10% of carry 2 handed

SO a PS 10 would be able to wield a 5 lb weapon one handed and a 10lb 2 handed. and for every percentile increment above you receive a penalty of -1

as for cloud and his skinny buttox he HAS to be havin some SNPS. That thing must weigh an EASY 50-75 lb unless it's made out of some mystic or high tech alloy that weighs nothing
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

I once picked up gravity manipulation and force aura only
so my charater could weild a sword bigger than he was
it was awsome
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

at the biggining of the topic i did say the user could weild the weapon. by that i meant he was strong enough to use it like a normal person could use a normal sword he would be able to swing it fast, so the weight would matter. also the sword is 3 feet long the whole sword not just the blade.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

most weapons do damage by the action of a lever. in the case of swords, sharpness is also handy, but it's biggest use was to smash through armour by having a narrow striking edge.

300lb sword huh.

I'd have the character fall down the stairs. a lot. I'd crumple chairs, have the thing snap it's sheath about one thousand times. You get the picture.

I have a small car. If you put two people in the back seat there is an almighty clanging sound as i pull out of the driveway as the undercarriage smacks on the gutter. 300lbs is about 2 men.

If you have someone abusing the little physics angle, then physics works all over the place. It's a game. add a few d6 and make the thing armour peircing.

otherwise have him fall over everytime he has a his 300 lbs of weight swinging out at the widest point of the arc. Have chairs collapse as he sits down on them (chairs are hardly designed to handle 400+lbs) and wooden stairs should be a treat. same with small cars and motorcycles.

And just because he can lift and carry a 300lb sword does not mean that simple physics won't tip him over. If i hold my own bodyweight out in my outstretched arm, I'm going to overbalance. If i could (somehow) swing a 300lb hammer i'd be flinging myself around in a newtonian action/reaction sort of way.

Besides, what metal weighs 300lbs in a sword sized package anyway?

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
KillWatch
Champion

weight does play a factor; His someone with a tube of cardboard like from a roll of plast bags and then take that same size in a metal tube and hit soemone with it. even having something with that mass slowly hitting your shin hurts like a botch: massxspeed=energy (or damage)
so Einstein apparently thinks that weight might have SOMETHING to do with damage
The weapon provides the weight (as well as sharpness with swords)

as for the 300 lb sword it might be a new kind of in game metal
mjolnir in marvel weighed 1 ton

and if you go with my formula
300 lb=30d6
it's like being hit with a motorcycle
if it's 2 handed the guy can CARRY 3000 lb or 1.5 tons
if it's one handed then he can CARRY 6000 lb or 3 tons
and according to the book (which I had to look up because I don't normally) PS 150 or 300 Or according to revised HU it would be PS 60 or 120, or by my system between 51-60

Interesting it might be a typo but I didn't see entries for super strong characters and their multipliers just Strong Characters and a PS 17+=x20 where as in the blue book it's Super Strong Characters PS 30+=x50 hmmmm

anyhow Palladium does recognize MassxSpeed=Energy in it's crash table
going by the gravity argument the added damage from differing vehicles from Motorcycle to Semi would only apply if they were falling from the sky
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

General damage from Heavy Objects - 1D6 + 1D6 points per every 20 lbs (9 kg), add the character's strength bonus to damage, also add the 2D6 base damage of the sword type.

The result is a damage potential of 18D6, or a maximum of 108 damage with just the sword alone.. nobody rolls 18D6, so turn the damage into 3D6x6 (18-108 damage range) and add the P.S. damage bonus of course.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
KillWatch
Champion

no no rolling 18d6 is very intimidating isn't that why we have so many damn dice?? :-D
KillWatch
Champion

oh isee

wait why am I covered in bread crumbs and why is there an angry hobbit pointing a sharp pointy stick at me?
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Actually I recall seeing something way back in 1st edition saying
1D8 per 100 lbs. It was stated along with all the stuff in the combat
section. If I'm not mistaken its one of those combat rules that got
left out or modified or forgotten in the wind.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”