SDC world

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Larsen
Adventurer

SDC world

Unread post by Larsen »

This isn't so much of a heros unlimited question as it is a SDC world question. When there is a borg or robotic character in a game and it is shot with a handgun what happens? In rifts we always played that if a borg or bot gets shot with a handgun or other sdc weapon it bounces off, but in a sdc world the rules are different. example robocop walks down the street. punk in question runs out and shoots robo in the chest with a gun. does it bounce off, flaten against him, penetrate just not enough to really matter, or penetrate and does matter? just wondering. and also say said punk has a heavier weapon like an ak-74 m-16 or a p-90 does he have a chance to be knocked down?
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

KG Carlson wrote:For a more realistic interaction of firearms vs armor, the Heroes Unlimited GM's Guide has a section devoted to ammunition penetration values(PV) and what AR they can affect. While more realistic than the quick attack roll vs AR, I ignore the PV option in my campaign, preferring to keep the pace of the combat moving right along.

..Actually, I was just looking through that again yesterday, and there is no translation to the AR system, making the PV system useless in a Palladium setting. There's all types of armor without direct equivilants in the AR system, but no "This PV affects this AR" rule to clarify translation.

..Gee, it'd be nice if there were... :-?

-Mike
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

i think i remember the way it goes for normal armor such as a bullet-proof vest. isn't if the person rolls below the ar it damages the vest and if he rolls above it penetrates? i think that it but been too long since i played in heroes to be sure
MADMANMIKE

prophet118 wrote:to clarify... yes, if i roll above a 4, but below the armor (in this case say body armor from a kevlar vest), i do my damage directly to the SDC of the armor itself..

should i manage to roll ABOVE the AR of the vest, i do damage directly to the person wearing the armors SDC

now thats different with natural armor, such is the case in heroes unlimited where mutants and other stuff have huge SDC's but are not wearing armor (take alter physical structure metal, 800 SDC), if i do not manage to get above the AR (in the APS: Metal case its 17), the bullets harmlessly dink off..if i get above the AR, then i do damage to the SDC

..As prophet118 points out, some armor is the same as natural armor, with rolls below the AR doing no damage at all....

-Mike >8]
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

mike i know ive said it b4 but yur little pic at the bottom is really creepy. you can take that as an insult or a complement its your choice. just curious which way would u take what i said?
MADMANMIKE

Larsen wrote:mike i know ive said it b4 but yur little pic at the bottom is really creepy. you can take that as an insult or a complement its your choice. just curious which way would u take what i said?

...That you would ask suggests that it's meant as an insult, unless you choose to factor in the fact that it's probably pretty late for you (which I do). So, no, I don't take it as an insult, and even if I did it wouldn't phase me.

-Mike >8]
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

no i mean no disrespect or insult by it i think its cool but its creepy at least to me it is. i just meant that some would be insulted by what i said because maybe you didn't mean for it to be creepy and are insulted because i said it is to me. the "to me" part of my sentence did disapear in the state of drowsiness though. for that I am sorry.
MADMANMIKE

.. Yeah, what I wanted out of it was a way to know which ammo would effectively reduce or bypass the AR of a suit of armor. I mean, that's the whole point of making hollow points, mercury filled, etc, to do more damage; Penetration Value suggests you could do the above instead of adding dice to the damage.

..But no such luck.

-Mike <8[
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Penetration Value indicates the sort of material the round will go through, and it's not dependant strictly on the size of the bullet (for example, a .22 caliber bullet can be short or long.. the long refers to the extra powder charge behind the slug, which gives it more speed, thus higher penetration).
The P.V chart goes from 1 to 10 if memory serves, with 1 being just strong enough to go through wood, while 10 is capable of shooting right through a car's engine block.
There are supposed to be some maximum limits on what P.V value a round fired from a pistol or rifle can have, and the rating of 9-10 is reserved solely for machine gun rounds, however, a high power rifle round kitted out with Teflon might push the limits.
Also it should be mentioned that bullets designed to do more flesh damage (such as Dum Dums or Mercury core) have less penetrating power.

8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

I stand corrected.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Personally, I would only use PV for physical rounds and impact.

Energy weapons are accurate and can do significant damage, but they have TERRIBLE penetration. While a bullet can pass through physical material with little loss of kinetic energy, an energy beam basically stops at the first physical barrier and has to burn it's way through the material, eating up a portion of it's energy as it does so.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

PV: as I've suggested AGES ago :D you could use PV to subtract fromt he AR of the armor

Secondly with lasters I wouln't give them a PV. Just damage to armor. Just aim for the head or even shoes
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Easiest way to boil through this argument is this...

If the shot (whether a piddly .22, or a respectable .50) doesn't exceed the 'bot or 'borg's AR value, it scratches the paint. If it does, it does SDC damage. The only exception is if the 'borg or 'bot is outfitted with exceptionally heavy armour that is rated as "immune to small arms fire." Something like some what would happen if you tried to attack a battleship with a .50 machinegun...

You might finally annoy the commander enough to make him turn one of his 2" guns on you and sink you... :lol:
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”