Mimic and Natural (animal) Abilities

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Mimic and Natural (animal) Abilities

Unread post by acreRake »

Mainly i am asking about mimic-ing animals, but this could also apply to aliens with "natural superpowers":

First, i guess, what is your opinion of copying animal's abilities/attributes? (specifically ones that are clearly defined; for instance BIO-E purchasable powers/weapons.)

Also, what about animal psionics? (See page 297 in HU2) Psionics are clearly included under the mimic power, but would you disallow nabbing animals'?

I guess i'm just wondering if i am abusing the power, since the spirit of it seems to be copying people's powers...
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

gadrin wrote:I only have the Mimic power from Skraypers so be patient with me ;)

I'd say mimicking psionics would start the character out as a newbie, he may be able to use a power, but wouldn't know all the "nooks and crannies" of it (as an experienced player would). I'd force the mimick to RP it that way too.

maybe break the mimicked power into categories based on experience.

simple

Mimicking a chimp's ability to climb would be trivial.

for instance the Draconid in Phase World can See the Invisible. If the player is standing next to a Drac, who seems to be focusing on something that isn't there, I'd allow the mimic to use the power and slowly see what the Draconid sees, perhaps with a little coaching. Something that could be learned in a matter of minutes.

hard

grabbing the flight ability of a super character. he might get carried away and fly out of range, or if flying alongside the super being, he might have some trouble keeping up, keeping on course.

this may require "flying lessons"

extraordinary

the same Draconid is a Mind Melter and decides to Astrally Project. The mimicker can sit down next to him and "borrow" the power, and prolly be blown away if he's never done it before. There's a good chance he won't be near the Drac's astral form and may get lost.

these types of abilities always require "lessons"

you might supply a few examples of your own, if mine were too superficial.
This is basically what i understood from the power description in HU (the section titled "Power Level:") Of course, if a "Draconid" is a true supernatural being, the mimic can't copy anything about it ( :badbad: )

gadrin wrote:
acreRake wrote:Also, what about animal psionics? (See page 297 in HU2) Psionics are clearly included under the mimic power, but would you disallow nabbing animals'?

you mean stealing an animal that has Bio-Manipulation or something, so that it's around the mimic and he can have access to the powers?

sort of a hostage-familiar.

well, good chance of it using the power in defense. what's the saving throw vs Psionics for animals? It'd be logical to borrow that too ;)

maybe toss us an idea of what kind of animal it is and how the mimic knows...
Actually i was referring to the psionics that most "large mammals seem to have..." See the invisible, sense evil, sense magic, sixth sense and empathy. I know they have them in PF as well, so i'm sure they have them in Rifts (etc) too.

As to how the mimic would know: this specific character just starts mimicing the "entire physical structure" of whatever animals he runs across, which i assumed would give him access to all the powers of the animal.

Of course the wording of the power is a little weird: Can you only use one copied power at a time? Even if you are copying all the persons attributes HP and SDC???
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Mimic and Natural (animal) Abilities

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

acreRake wrote:Mainly i am asking about mimic-ing animals, but this could also apply to aliens with "natural superpowers":

I'm not sure that the power can be used on unintelligent animals at all, given all the references in the power to mimicking "people" specifically, but for the sake of argument I will assume that it is possible herein (though I would personally rule against it in a game). Mutant Animals most certainly could be mimicked, in any event. Thusly...

First, i guess, what is your opinion of copying animal's abilities/attributes? (specifically ones that are clearly defined; for instance BIO-E purchasable powers/weapons.)

Seems legal to me.

Also, what about animal psionics? (See page 297 in HU2) Psionics are clearly included under the mimic power, but would you disallow nabbing animals'?

Also seems legal.

Of course the wording of the power is a little weird: Can you only use one copied power at a time? Even if you are copying all the persons attributes HP and SDC???

For as long as the Mimic power is in use, you have all the powers and properties of the mimicked creature (at least those that can possibly be mimicked), which completely replace whatever powers the superbeing normally has. Any limitations on the powers would be the same as the copied creature. For example, Mutant Animal psionics cost no ISP to use, but you can also only use one such power at a time. The innate psionic powers of normal animals would all be active simultaneously and at all times, whether the character wants them to be or not (possibly making the character easy to track with Detect Psionics).
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”