Hyper Density Issue

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Marauder

Hyper Density Issue

Unread post by Marauder »

My friends and I lost a night of play due to this problem: If a PC with six attacks activates his hyper-density on his second and holds until his fifth attack, the PC only sacrafices his last attack? My GM is telling me that no matter when my PC ativates his power, he must suffer 1 melee of no actions. Therefore, using the same situation as above with his rules, I would be incapacitated until my sixth attack my next melee.

I assumeded that when you use the ability, regardless of when, you only sacrafice the melee you either activated or released it on.

I could really use some help with this,

Marauder
Marauder

Unread post by Marauder »

Though, when the power is deactivated, according to the book (powers one) it states all attacks that melee are sacraficed. This being said, if I deactiveate hyper-density with my last attack, I should be good to go the next round... right? I understand that if the other PC/NPC has more attacks I'm going to get spanked for and not be able to defend myself (this is the drawback, which I think is fair). Is this what you meant KG? I was confused about this statement: "is that if a power, ability, etc. says that you lose 1 melee attack/action, you lose it from your total." I think we're on the same level, but I'm just checking.

Because as far as "bogging down the fight" goes, with the way I'm having to play it now, I'm not even fighting.

More help is always welcome,
Marauder
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Interesting game mechanics boggle..
I'd say you can deactivate the power on your last action for the round, however.. though you have full actions for the next round, you slip to last place on the initiative order. This makes a kind of sense if you can imagine the act of de-densifying is a something that requires concentration (internal concentration), which causes the character to daze out for a second.. enough of a lapse to matter quite a bit in the thick of combat.

One aspect of this power that really attracts me to it is the fact that, although the character is an impervious statue while activated, there is nothing to stop a super strong team mate from picking the character up and using him/her as an indestructable shield or battering ram, or even a hurled weapon.. plus, if the character gets into the right position, say, kneeling down on the road with arms out just so.. they can form a ramp and flip a car, or wedge their feet on something very solid and create a very nasty human road spike/lance that could tear right through a car's engine block.
When you really ponder the uses of this power beyond the obvious, it is truely hideous what you could do with it.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

THis is simple rules lawyering and trying to fanagle the best restult out of an ill worded description

if I was gming I would interpret the spirit of it to mean that 1 melee = all of your attacks equal to 1 melee
so if you have 6 attacks in a melee you lose 6 attacks
if you raise it on your third attack one melee you will have no actions until your 4th action the next melee
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Yeah, that to.. a common train of thought goes "End of melee round, reset to start of attacks/actions for next round"...
Hello!?
Just because combat is divided up into rounds does not mean actions and delays are not continuous and really, there is NO end of first round, start of next round from the character's point of view.

Anyway, if an entire game session was disrupted because of an argument over a single rule, you know what that says to me?
Drop it, get on with the game and stop arguing with the GM.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Blacksmith

hyper-density

Unread post by Blacksmith »

Truly a cool power
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

To me, this and other powers in PU2 can be powers you give to Invulnerability at later levels
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”