Enhanced Leaping Questions

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Enhanced Leaping Questions

Unread post by Preacher »

Anyone out there figured out speeds for the Enhanced Leaping power?
Say for instance Extraordinary P.S. of 25 which can cover 375 feet across at a jump with the distance being 15 feet for each Ext. P.S point.
Anyone figure out any guidelines on the ground speed this power provides?
Heck with Supernatural P.S. it is concievable to cover 1000 to 2000 feet in a leap. How would you figure that? Anyone got any ideas.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
NMI
OLD ONE

Re: Enhanced Leaping Questions

Unread post by NMI »

Preacher wrote:Anyone out there figured out speeds for the Enhanced Leaping power?
Say for instance Extraordinary P.S. of 25 which can cover 375 feet across at a jump with the distance being 15 feet for each Ext. P.S point.
Heck with Supernatural P.S. it is concievable to cover 1000 to 2000 feet in a leap. How would you figure that? Anyone got any ideas.
I or someone else could probably come up with an actual speed attribute or mph for this if there is any info in regards to how many actions it takes to cover said distance/ or to use said power.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

A leap is at least one or two melee actions, and leaping/landing as a form of high speed travel would be very tiring, so standard rates for fatigue would apply (slightly less as this is a super ability, so the character must be pretty good at it).
Work out how far and how often the character can jump per melee round, calculate that into minutes and then hours.. and Bob's your uncle, you have a MPH speed rating (which can be backwards calculated into a Spd attribute for leaping).

Oh BTW, Mutand Underground has more info on animal leaping powers, in case you wanted to become a leaping expert.
8-)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Re: Enhanced Leaping Questions

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

The Deific NMI wrote:
Preacher wrote:Anyone out there figured out speeds for the Enhanced Leaping power?
I or someone else could probably come up with an actual speed attribute or mph for this if there is any info in regards to how many actions it takes to cover said distance/ or to use said power.

Hmmm... it would seem to me that before anyone could whip up any kind of formula, he/she would first have to determine how long each leap would take, and whether or not a leap using normal strength takes as long as a leap using Supernatural Strength.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

The Baron vonClogg wrote:Well, I'm not gonna post my math because every time I do y'all make fun of me....

We only make fun of you because it takes our minds off of how stupid we feel in the face of such well-thought-out computations...

That, and saying 'extruded plastic dingus' sounds funny. :lol:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Where's Phalanx when you need him.. I swear that guy thinks in numeric formulas.
Anyway..
The question is guys.. can you give a basic, rough, will do in a pinch, makes you wince but would probably be understandable by a seven year old GM who needs to know how to do it sort of this number times that number equals the number you need without using letters and squiggles instead of actual numbers calculation?
For example..
Leaping Locomotion, requires either all actions per melee round or five (if you have more than five), take PS attribute and multiply by the following number (give numbers for each strength class) to get distance covered by the character each melee round (and equivalent spd attribute or mph/kph).
You might have alternative types of leaping travel, such as the speed skip, for relatively clear and flat ground where you can get a high speed skipping run (low leaps with lots of angle on the take off but heaps of distance covered) or.. hmmm.. insane leaping dodge manuevers, such as when a character leaps back and forth between buildings like some sort of living ping pong ball.

Whatever.. I'll leave the physics to you guys.
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Tyciol wrote:We can do this using a simple physics equation. Let's assume the horizantal distance you leap is proportional to the vertical, though the reverse need not be true. As such, you need to leap your maximum vertical to leap your maximum horizantal. Otherwise we'd have lameness such as people jumping 1000ft across while only being 1 ft in the air.

To find the speed, we know that he's travelled a half a distance horizantally in the amount of time it took for him to reach a pinnacle of a distance in the air. Let's call that d. Lo and behold the power states this, so it's following some logic, assuming a nice 45 degree angle of takeoff that everyone always uses. So his speed is d/t. So heck, funny enough (don't rely on this since my physics sucks, someone who's good test this). His speed over land will be the same as his initial vertical takeoff velocity.

Figure out how long it would take someone to rise to a certain height. Let's do an example. In metric!

I figure we should find the time too, just for fun's sake.
t = ?
v1 = ?
v2 = 0
a = -9.8
d = d

First solve for t with v1 unknown.
d = v2*t - 1/2 at^2
v2 = 0 so...
d= -1/2at^2
t^2 = -2d/a
t = root (d/4.9)

So to find how long it takes the person to reach their maximum height, and also to drop to the ground afterwards: divide the guy's vertical height (in metres) by 4.9, find the squareroot, that's how many seconds.

Second solve for v1 with t unknown (let's do it from scratch, assuming we haven't already figured out t).

v1 = ?
v2 = 0
a = -9.8
d = d

v2^2 = v1^2 +2ad
Since v2 = 0...
v1^2 = -2ad
v1 = root (19.6d)

So, to find the person's equivilent landspeed in metres per second, multiply their horizantal jumping distance by 9.8, and find the squareroot.

Now, I think separate equations would be needed for people who are jumping less than their maximum height or length, since they'll get their faster, just have a little bump from the leftover velocity, nothing that a little impact force couldn't handle. Sadly palladium's falling laws seem to think height is more important for damage than speed or hardness of the surface is...

I think I may be misinterpreting the leaping power, there's no way someone could jump the maximum vertical AND horizantal distances at once. They must be separate, meaning that if you're jumping 200ft long, you couldn't jump 100ft high, because otherwise wouldn't you be able to jump much farther than 100ft high if you were concentrating all force veritcally? Beh I dunno... save it for the Heroes Unlimited MMORPG.

Joey Bob jumps 100m high and 200m long. So,
You just made my brain hurt.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

OK here is what my soon to be GM and I came up with. Of course this is for a Rifts Game where I am using a Rifts Mutant rolled up acording to Mr. Jason Richards rules in Rifter 26.

For non super strength of any kind characters it's plus 50% to ground speed.
For characters with Ext. P.S. it's double normal ground speed.
Superhuman P.S. is triple
and
Four times normal ground speed for Supernatural.

This is just for characters with no speed powers such as EXT. Spd. or Sonic Speed. If they take a speed power then the speed power superceeds the leaping power speed or is a different animal all together. It is just for leaping as a primary means of locomotion as well.
Besides it is easier than all the math.:?

Foe instance my character can normally run at 15 mph. with no speed powers but with a continuous leaping can attain a ground speed of 45mph.

It is a fast and loose rule that may not work for some but for me and my NEW GM it will do.
As for the new GM thing it is explained up on the GM Board. Taking my first GM break in 14 years. :shock:
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”