Mystic Bestowed and Mystic Weapons

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cardiac
Adventurer

Re: Mystic Bestowed and Mystic Weapons

Unread post by Cardiac »

Yes to both questions. They both involve "style more than substance" - functionally one magic weapon can be as good as another and there is nothing big about letting a fireball be a coldball - it's just flavor, and it's something I encourage in my games.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

NecroTechno wrote:
1. Do you allow your character to use other kinds of weapons to be transformed? IE: Say they want a whip or war fans, would you allow that? If not, why?

I allow my players to choose just about any kind of melee weapon that I don't consider ridiculous. I don't allow baseball bats for example, but war clubs works just fine.

See, I even allow baseball bats since I had a player who had just finished watching [url=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080120/]The Warriors and who wanted to play a hero with a bat imbued with the 'true spirit of baseball'. It was kinda fun and he gave the hero all these corny baseball zingers.[/b]

2. Bestowed/Weapons get some powers, but what if none fit the concept? Do you allow them to change it out for something equal? if no, why not?

Define powers please.

And I've always done mix and match as to which powers I'll let the player take if they have what seems to be a good concept. Now if they're just trying to min/max no, but otherwise I really don't mind as long as it doesn't become imbalancing for my games power level.
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

^Angel^ wrote:1. Do you allow your character to use other kinds of weapons to be transformed? IE: Say they want a whip or war fans, would you allow that? If not, why?

Yes. While it's not as original as Stoker's 'Louisville Slugger Rune Weapon' I did have one character with a jade staff that shrank down to a 6" long stick for easy concealment. When he needed to access the staff's abilities he pulled it out and it expanded to full size (please, no crude comments from the gutter on that part).

When you get right down to it, ANYTHING used as a melee weapon could logically be used as a magic weapon. Heck, in the old HU Revised book they had weapon stats for a FRYING PAN!

^Angel^ wrote:2. Bestowed/Weapons get some powers, but what if none fit the concept? Do you allow them to change it out for something equal? if no, why not?

Yes, within reason as long as it fits in with the concept the player wants.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

A hearty "Yes, of course!" to both questions, changing the names of powers (or weapons!) without changing the stats is one of the most important things to do when design an HU character, i think.

But my real reason for posting is to comment on the staff... i mean the frying pan :P . One of my fondest RP memories is having my pyrokinetic character (eternally garbed in arctic thermal gear) leaping from the half dome of a large amphitheater in a leap-attack-with-frying-pan-natural-20-knockout... *sigh* glory days.
Uncle Servo
Champion

acreRake wrote:A hearty "Yes, of course!" to both questions, changing the names of powers (or weapons!) without changing the stats is one of the most important things to do when design an HU character, i think.

But my real reason for posting is to comment on the staff... i mean the frying pan :P . One of my fondest RP memories is having my pyrokinetic character (eternally garbed in arctic thermal gear) leaping from the half dome of a large amphitheater in a leap-attack-with-frying-pan-natural-20-knockout... *sigh* glory days.

You know, I can almost hear the almighty "CLANG!!!!!!" sound of the frying pan from here... :lol:

But when you get right down to it, in combat a frying pan is really an iron club with a broad striking surface... and a baseball bat is a wooden (or aluminum) club... so as long as there's some logic behind it (and/or a DARN good background story), I'd allow just about anything short of a rubber chicken to be a magical weapon.
guardsys_prime

Unread post by guardsys_prime »

NecroTechno wrote:I allow my players to choose just about any kind of melee weapon that I don't consider ridiculous. I don't allow baseball bats for example...

Magic Baseball Bats = Ridiculous?!?

Tell that to Kevin Matchstick there, Buddy! :D
Uncle Servo
Champion

The Baron vonClogg wrote:Magic Sheath: The weapon magically disappears into a dimensional pocket, centered on the wielder, when not in use
Wizard Slayer: The weapon grants +5 to save vs magic and psionics
Stake: Victims impaled on the weapon must save vs Magic; failed rolls mean complete paralysis until the weapon is removed (like staking a vampire)

Nice, all of them. I especially like the first one -- it goes a long way towards explaining all the instances where in Highlander: The Series where someone goes from obviously not packing a sword to pulling one out of his/her pocket.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mr Scorpio »

The Baron vonClogg wrote:How about some other ideas for weapon powers? I've been thinking of puting up some ideas on my webpage- If y'all come up with some more good ones it'll spur me into action....

Magic Sheath: The weapon magically disappears into a dimensional pocket, centered on the wielder, when not in use
Wizard Slayer: The weapon grants +5 to save vs magic and psionics
Stake: Victims impaled on the weapon must save vs Magic; failed rolls mean complete paralysis until the weapon is removed (like staking a vampire)

I really like the idea of more options for Enchanted Weapons. How about.......

Companion Weapon: When the character transforms a second weapon appears (in hand or as part of the character's costume) to be used as a back up, as a second weapon (as long as the character has Paired Weapons) or for throwing. The secondary weapon is less powerful (should probably be limited to 2 or 3D6 and it has no other powers unless the player gives up one of his selections for the main weapon), usually in the form of a dagger, hand axe or even a short sword.

Matching Pair: (This option is limited to single handed weapons only) The character has a maching pair of Enchanted Weapons both look identical and do the same damage. They work together and the character can use them as though he had the Paired Weapons skill. Both weapons must be in the character's possession in order for him to activate any of the weapons other powers (pick only the normal amount of Powers of Order/Chaos, not a seperate set for each weapon)

(From an earlier discussion about the possibility of a character with an Enchanted Bow)
Instant Arrows: Either drawn from a quiver or appearing when the string is drawn the arrows can be anything from normal looking wood to solid gold or energy (like light or lightning)

Having to hurry, hope that all made sense. If I come up with any more I'll post them for you.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

I had a few ideas for weapon powers too:

Magic Fanfare: When the character is transformed and draw the weapon, it plays his theme song. Everyone withint three hundred feet must save versus horror/awe factor. When the weapon is sheathed, the theme song is played backwards (with the words "Buy the GM pizza" faintly audible in the background).

Maintenance-Free Sidekick: When the character transforms, his sidekick magically appears within ten feet of his current location, also in costume and ready to fight crime. When the character 'untransforms', the sidekick disappears.

Also, who is to say that the Rune-covered baseball bat or golf club little Billy uses to fight crime today wasn't used by grandpa used to win the World Series/PGMA years and years ago?

And, incidentally, my answer is a resounding 'yes' to both of ^Angel^'s questions. Superheroes comics thrive on new and different characters. Why would roleplaying be any different? That's why Palladium just published PU1 & PU2.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Ted Smythe wrote:And, incidentally, my answer is a resounding 'yes' to both of ^Angel^'s questions. Superheroes comics thrive on new and different characters. Why would roleplaying be any different? That's why Palladium just published PU1 & PU2.

Sorry ^Angel^, almost forgot about the original questions.
1. Yes, in fact the original Kaptn (Captain) Scorpio uses an Enchanted Whip.
2. I don't have a problem switching powers around a little to fit the concept. I mean, that's what makes your character different than every one elses.

Ted Smythe wrote:I had a few ideas for weapon powers too:

Maintenance-Free Sidekick: When the character transforms, his sidekick magically appears within ten feet of his current location, also in costume and ready to fight crime. When the character 'untransforms', the sidekick disappears.

I really like this one. First, could the Sidekick be an animal or would that be a separate weapon power? And second, does the Sidekick get his/her/it's own powers or does the player have to assign some of his other weapon power selections to the Sidekick? I'd go with the latter so that it's not too powerful.

Hopefully this will give the good Baron enough ideas to at least get started.
Uncle Servo
Champion

The Baron vonClogg wrote:Good stuff!

I'll post them up sometime soon, but I'm heading out of town for the weekend and am pretty busy. Depending on my wireless access, I might be able to get to it while I'm travelling.

In the meantime- Keep 'em coming!

How about this one... I had it as part of an old RL comic book character I was working on self-publishing but it might fit in well here:

Transforming Weapon: The weapon can assume a variety of different shapes and sizes to suit the needs and/or styles of the wielder. For instance, if the character has WPs Knife, Sword, and Polearm then the weapon can assume any shape within those categories. The damage inflicted remains the same as originally rolled, however.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

Uncle Servo wrote:

I'll post them up sometime soon, but I'm heading out of town for the weekend and am pretty busy. Depending on my wireless access, I might be able to get to it while I'm travelling.

How about this one... I had it as part of an old RL comic book character I was working on self-publishing but it might fit in well here:

Transforming Weapon: The weapon can assume a variety of different shapes and sizes to suit the needs and/or styles of the wielder. For instance, if the character has WPs Knife, Sword, and Polearm then the weapon can assume any shape within those categories. The damage inflicted remains the same as originally rolled, however.

just like with mystic shield, invisibility, fly as eagle, etc.. there's lots of spells that could be made to fit well. like summon shadow beast, wind rush, blinding flash, Agony, Cloud of smoke, Armor of Ithan, Animate dead, Sense evil or good, Mystic portal, Phantom horse, Life drain and tons others.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

Kaptn Scorpio wrote:

I really like this one. First, could the Sidekick be an animal or would that be a separate weapon power? And second, does the Sidekick get his/her/it's own powers or does the player have to assign some of his other weapon power selections to the Sidekick? I'd go with the latter so that it's not too powerful.

I am glad you liked that idea. I hadn't thought about the sidekick being an animal, but I suppose it would work. I was thinking more of another player character with a separate arsenal of superpowers from the original character, but it could work either way. If you are worried about balance, you could always put a time limit and proximity limit on the sidekick too.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Ted Smythe wrote:
Kaptn Scorpio wrote:

I am glad you liked that idea. I hadn't thought about the sidekick being an animal, but I suppose it would work. I was thinking more of another player character with a separate arsenal of superpowers from the original character, but it could work either way. If you are worried about balance, you could always put a time limit and proximity limit on the sidekick too.

Well if rune weapons are supposed to contain the 'life essence' of a living being, why couldn't this 'sidekick' actually be a projection of that essence given temporary physical form?

If I were going to go this route, I'd probably give this 'projection' the same powers/abilities of the weapon/object (aside from the original's ability to project the essence). That way you could use the Multiple Selves features as a reference as it'd be a pretty similar situation. I'd also put a time limit for say 1D4 melee rounds per level of the wielder.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Uncle Servo wrote:
Ted Smythe wrote:I am glad you liked that idea. I hadn't thought about the sidekick being an animal, but I suppose it would work. I was thinking more of another player character with a separate arsenal of superpowers from the original character, but it could work either way. If you are worried about balance, you could always put a time limit and proximity limit on the sidekick too.

Well if rune weapons are supposed to contain the 'life essence' of a living being, why couldn't this 'sidekick' actually be a projection of that essence given temporary physical form?

If I were going to go this route, I'd probably give this 'projection' the same powers/abilities of the weapon/object (aside from the original's ability to project the essence). That way you could use the Multiple Selves features as a reference as it'd be a pretty similar situation. I'd also put a time limit for say 1D4 melee rounds per level of the wielder.

Hmmm, I kind of like the idea of a weapon avatar. Still leaves room for a couple of others......

Animal Companion (Order): Summons/creates a normal animal to aid the character. The animal has average stats for the type but is very intelligent and will follow instructions to the best of it's abilities. If destroyed the animal cannot be summoned again for one full month.

Dark Minion (Chaos): Summons a creature (hound with red eyes, Goblin, 3' tall daemon, etc.) to serve the character. The player can assign any number of his remaining weapon powers to the Minion instead of keeping them for himself. If destroyed the Minion can be summoned again after the next full moon.
All attributes are 1D6 + 10
2D4 X 10 S.D.C.
1D4 HP per level of the character
Hand to hand damage 2D6

Vampiric (Chaos): 10% of damage done to living creatures is absorbed by the character and added to his S.D.C. (like Bio-Ghost this can replenish lost S.D.C.)
Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

I like your ideas, Kaptn Scorpio, too. I can see how it might even be applied to the Palladium Fantasy game and Rifts, too.

One could even generate a chart that makes the avatar more powerful as the avatar rises in experience. The animal's or monster's attributes could increase. Then, because the avatar has its own separate intelligence, what is to stop it from trying to escape from or take over the mystically bestowed character? I can easily see the vampiric avatar lusting for its freedom enough to turn on even its master.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Ted Smythe wrote:I like your ideas, Kaptn Scorpio, too. I can see how it might even be applied to the Palladium Fantasy game and Rifts, too.

One could even generate a chart that makes the avatar more powerful as the avatar rises in experience. The animal's or monster's attributes could increase. Then, because the avatar has its own separate intelligence, what is to stop it from trying to escape from or take over the mystically bestowed character? I can easily see the vampiric avatar lusting for its freedom enough to turn on even its master.

Somebody break out the bratwurst, 'cuz I do believe we're cookin' with gas now!

This is evolving really well, and it could end up as an entirely new sub-species of Mystic Object/Weapon category (I don't think it could fit in as only one or two power options if taken to its logical conclusion). Only problem is, if it ever makes print then Palldium will have to devote as much space to writer credits as it would the power description! :lol:

You could really go all kinds of crazy in determining this 'weapon avatar' as it could be one of many forms -- humanoid, bird, cat, dog, horse, etc. I could even see the wielder being able to utilize the avatar as a riding animal if applicable (wouldn't it be the epitome of cool to pull a gryphon out of your weapon and ride off into battle?).

Anyway, on the subject of making the avatar more powerful as you go along... why make up a separate chart? You could just rule that the avatar is equal to (or one level below) the wielder in experience, with a minimum of 1st level. That way it'd be just one less chart to keep track of.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Uncle Servo wrote:This is evolving really well, and it could end up as an entirely new sub-species of Mystic Object/Weapon category (I don't think it could fit in as only one or two power options if taken to its logical conclusion). Only problem is, if it ever makes print then Palldium will have to devote as much space to writer credits as it would the power description! :lol:

I'm starting to think that it might work better as another power option than a weapon power. Like when the player rolls to determine if his character gets one Major Power, two Minors or some spells just add Weapon Avatar to the list alongside the others.

Uncle Servo wrote:You could really go all kinds of crazy in determining this 'weapon avatar' as it could be one of many forms -- humanoid, bird, cat, dog, horse, etc. I could even see the wielder being able to utilize the avatar as a riding animal if applicable (wouldn't it be the epitome of cool to pull a gryphon out of your weapon and ride off into battle?).

That would be way cool!

Ted Smythe wrote:I can easily see the vampiric avatar lusting for its freedom enough to turn on even its master.

Dude :shock: I hadn't thought about that. As long as Uncle Servo's gryphon isn't vampiric I think we'll be allright :(
Uncle Servo
Champion

Kaptn Scorpio wrote:
Ted Smythe wrote:I can easily see the vampiric avatar lusting for its freedom enough to turn on even its master.

Dude :shock: I hadn't thought about that. As long as Uncle Servo's gryphon isn't vampiric I think we'll be allright :(

A vampiric gryphon? :eek: Dude, that would put a SERIOUS crimp on any daytime activities... then again, if you're a bad guy that wouldn't be such a downside.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Hey Baron, any idea when you will have the time to post them on your site? Kind of looking forward to your take on all of this. :D
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Roll Type Damage
01 Axe, Battle 3D6
02 Axe, Stone 2D6
03 Oncin Pick 2D4
04 Beaked Axe 2D6
05 Glaive 2D6
06 Halberd 3D6
07 Hippe 3D6
08 Military Fork 2D4+2
09 Runka 2D6
10 Voulge 4D6
11 Long Spear 2D6
12 Beaked Axe 2D6
13 Lance 2D6+2
14 Cleaver 1D6
15 Whip 2D6
16 Short Sword 2D4
17 Scimitar 2D6
18 Cutlass 2D4
19 Club 2D4
20 Bastard Sword 2D6+2
21 Claymore 3D6
22 Goupillon Flail 3D6
23 Long Sword 2D6
24 Mace & Chain 3D6
25 Mace 2D6
26 Metal Pipe 2D4
27 Horseman Hammer 2D6
28 Morning Star 2D6
29 War Hammer 3D4
30 Long Staff 2D4
31 Quarterstaff 2D6
32 Bo Staff 2D6
33 Short Bow 1D6
34 Long Bow 2D6
35 Compound Bow 2D6+2
36 Sai 1D6
37 Katana 3D6
38 Tonfa 1D6
39 Sling 1D6
40 Shuriken 1D4
41 Manriki-Gusari 2D4
42 Kawanga 2D4
43 Chakram Ring 1D4+1
44 Knuckle Rings 1D6
45 Metal Baton 1D8
46 Spiked Shin Guard 1D6
47 Ball & Chain 2D4
48 Bladed Fan 1D4
49 Heavy Chain 1D6
50 Hand Pick 1D4
51 Axe, Throwing 2D4
52 Axe, Bipennis 2D6
53 Awl Pike 2D6
54 Berdiche 3D6
55 Guisarme 2D6
56 Sabre Halberd 3D6
57 Lucerne Hammer 3D6
58 Pike 2D6
59 Scythe 3D6
60 Short Spear 1D6
61 Javelin 2D4
62 Trident 2D6+2
63 Dagger 1D6
64 Mattock 3D4
65 Dart 1D4
66 Sabre 2D4
67 Falchion 2D6
68 Ball & Chain 2D4
69 Rod/Blackjack 1D4
70 Broad Sword 2D4+1
71 Flamberge 3D6
72 Nunchaku 2D4
73 2H Espandon 2D6+2
74 Arab Mace 2D6
75 Cudgel 2D4
76 Hercules Club 3D6
77 Maul 2D4
78 War Club 2D4
79 Short Staff 1D6
80 Flail 2D6
81 Metal Staff 2D6+2
82 Man catcher 1D6
83 Pistol Crossbow 1D6
84 Light Crossbow 2D4
85 Rifle Crossbow 2D6
86 Heavy Crossbow 4D6
87 Throwing Knives 2D4+2
88 Boomerang 3D6
89 Tiger Claw 1D4
90 Kusari-Gama 2D6
91 Bisento 3D6
92 Bola 1D6
93 Katar 1D6
94 Bowie Knife 1D6
95 Spiked Gauntlet 1D6
96 Slim Metal Rod 1D6
97 Vorpal (Thin) Claymore 6D6
98 Vorpal (Throwing) Disk 4D6
99 Vorpal (Thin) Sword 4D6
100 Vorpal (Thin) Scythe 6D6
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

i keep looking at the top of that list and between Beaked ax and Cleaver, my eyes see Beaver.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

What? No baseball bats?! There goes the awesome Mr. Baseball Bat character from the world of Max Payne.

Well, seriously saying, it's only fair for the characters to not have "The Unbelievably Cool Pencil Sharpener" as their "Magic Weapon".
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”