Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: House Rules
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:55 am

Wanderer

So what are some House Rules that you use?

Post subject: Re: House Rules
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:50 am

Champion

Well, if a single attack with a clearly described destination to the damage would deal a significant amount of damage to a single area and exhaust 75% of the character's entire SDC, I tend to rule that only the initial 50% will go to SDC and the rest will go to hit points. I also cap that bit of damage, though, depending on what's being hit.
For instance, a shot in which a character's shoulder is held and crushed by an enraged cyborg's hand. The damage dealt, even at a 1d4 plus strength bonuses, turned out to be very significant, and the character's SDC only midrange. So it was about 20 damage to nothing but a shoulder, when the character only had something like 25 SDC on top of his hit points.
I just couldn't imagine the entire body's SDC being exhausted through a shoulder, nor could I imagine a character with 45-or-so total survivability not taking some internal damage from such a badly crushed shoulder. As a result, I dropped his SDC by about 15, sending the other 5 to hit points. However, I would *not* have let the number of hit points lost through that shoulder exceed that 5, nor the SDC... If he took another 20 to that spot, I'd rule seriously crushed bones and a probable need for cybernetic replacement if he wanted a functioning arm later. However, the damage was isolated, and while it would be immensely painful, the rest of the body was still very functional.
Of course... I might allow more SDC taken off to represent the pain. A shoulder is a fairly critical area, even on the side away from the heart. But the key thing here is that not all SDC damage is a matter of pain tolerance (some of it is literal toughness!) and you're not likely to die from a crushed shoulder. At least not directly, although medical intervention might be needed for internal bleeding if that character's shoulder had indeed been so smushed. (But of course, you express that by taking a hit point every 4 turns. *beams*)

Ex-Megatokyo Member #3885
First gen Winter Forums
Myers-Briggs ENFP, "Threadkiller"

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:58 am

Champion

Well, one biggie is that no matter what the power description under Animal Metamorphosis says, player characters are NOT allowed to change into normal-sized insects. I haven't made up my mind on giant-sized ones yet.

The only other one I can think of right now is that a mage can cast spells equal to or below his/her current level of experience and only take up one melee action. Casting higher ones take up an additional action per level of difference between the two -- so a 3rd level mage would take up 4 actions casting a 6th level spell (the 1 action plus the 3 for level difference).

And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:17 pm

Prince of Powers

I have a rule that causes characters to make saving throws when they run out of SDC or pass out from shock and pain. It's a conditional rule, based on the character at the time of course. I also use a covering rule that allows people to 'get the drop' on others.

Batts

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:37 pm

Champion

Do you use the Injury tables? Our Rifts group actually keeps the Heroes Unlimited book around just in case we run out of SDC or hit points, simply to have those tables there. Our ace pilot managed to blow his back out in a fight against a full conversion 'borg. Took the whole leave for him to heal up.

As to the cover, what are the details? How are your house rules different from the traditional sneak attack rules?

Ex-Megatokyo Member #3885
First gen Winter Forums
Myers-Briggs ENFP, "Threadkiller"

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:22 pm

D-Bee

Rule 1: Standard Character Creation is Not an Option. In my HU games I have the character design the hero from the ground up. They right a background story and I feel the gaps. I also pick their powers and alter them to better suit each character. For Example - I have a PC who has Karmic Power. He does not get any of the bonuses from the ability and instead we can make a situational role to see if his karma can turn a bad situation good. This may sound very out of whacked but it has made for a very intersting game. The first time he used his power was in court. He was in court because he ex wife wanted more money out of him. He pleaded for a miracle and the courtroom window shattered. A gail like wind swept through and caught hold of some documents. Lucky for him those documents contained evidence against him. When his wife's lawyer went ot get copies it turned out they had been shredded by mistake. Another example would Invulnerablity. I make the player keep track of damage taken. even though he really doesn't take physical damage its a record of how pain he has sustained. I know that techincally he wouldn't feel pain but I designthe power around the mind's belief. If he reaches 0 SDC he has to rest for an hour before he will be able to take any further damage. If he continues to take damage he can slip into a coma. Those are just some small examples of our "house" rules.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:50 pm

Adventurer

See that big sticky at the top of this forum? Those are my house rules. :lol:
In addition to that I have the following:

Wizards start with 2 attacks per melee and gain an extra attack whenever their speill strength goes up.

Then I have the following Penetration Value/Armor Rating table...
AR Bonus: AR-5. An AR of 10 is now a +5.
AR Bonus represents how many points over the necessary strike roll it will take to penetrate your armor. PV ratings subtract from the AR Bonus number. For example, a character who is 50’ away will be struck by a bullet if his opponent rolls above an 8. The character is wearing a light bulletproof vest with an AR 10 (+5). To strike the character, the sniper will need to roll above a 13. However, because the sniper is using a rifle with a PV of 4, he will only need to get above an 9. He’d be much more hard pressed against a character with an AR of 17 (+12) which would make the necessary strike roll a 14. If the PV value is more than the value of the armor, the bullet automatically penetrates the armor if the shooter hits.
Number Needed to Hit
Under 10’: 4+
11-60’: 8+
60-300’: 12+
Over 300’: 16+
Penalties
Walking: +1 or +2
Running: +3 or +4
300mph+: +6
Small Targets: +2-4
Partially Obscured: +4
Extremely Obscured: +6
Called Shot to a Limb: +2 or +3
Called Shot to the Head: +4
Note: Long range weapons with telescopic scopes need a 13 to hit for anything between 60' and 50% of the weapon's total range and a 16 to hit for anything between 51%-100% of the weapon's total range.
Example
Shooting a guy at close range: Number needed to hit: 5
You’re going for a head-shot: +4 for headshot, 9 to hit
Target is running: +3 for running, 12 to hit
He’s wearing a light vest AR 10 (+5): 17 to penetrate armor
You’re using a Saturday Night Special (PV 2)
He’s wearing a light vest AR 10 (+5): 13 to penetrate armor
You have a Saturday Night Special PV 2: 11 to penetrate armor
Different Types of Bullets
Hollow Point (-2 to PV, +2d6 damage)
Dum-Dum (-2 to PV, +1d6 damage)
Full Metal Jacket (+1 to PV, -2 damage for every die)
Armor Piercing (-1 damage for every die, +2 to PV)
At close range most people are -10 (with bonuses) to dodge projectiles, -8 at 60 feet, -6 at 300 feet and -4 at over 300 feet. You can reduce this penalty by 4 if all you do during the melee is dodge. This assumes you actually know where the bullets are coming from.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:35 am

Prince of Powers

macksting wrote:
Do you use the Injury tables? Our Rifts group actually keeps the Heroes Unlimited book around just in case we run out of SDC or hit points, simply to have those tables there. Our ace pilot managed to blow his back out in a fight against a full conversion 'borg. Took the whole leave for him to heal up.

As to the cover, what are the details? How are your house rules different from the traditional sneak attack rules?

I only realy use the injury tables when characters have been truly beaten. 1/2 HP or less. Most times this happens at the stereotypical 'endo of level bad guy' so they end up healing or recovering in their 'down time' between games, so it is not so much of an issue except when the super soldier needs to heal a broken collar bone.

the covering rule is fairly basic. You make a strike roll against an unaware opponent, or a zone an opponent is likely to stumble into. The strike roll is at -2, but if successful, there is no damage. Rather, the attacker yells 'freeze' or words to such effect to let the victim know what's going on. From that point onwards, until the attacker drops his gurad, relinquishes the cover or is distracted or surprised in turn, the hit remains. at any time, even before initiative gets rolled, the attacker can simply roll the damage, and becuase it's set up for an unaware target it's usually a critical.

So how does one escape a cover? He can dodge, but frankly when he tenses to do so the trigger gets pulled (metaphoric trigger..you can cover with a knife, an energy blast, a firm grip to the neck) but the dodge is penalised by circumstance (IE GM call) and frankly lows the target's first attack for the next melee round of initiative. He can lanch a surprise attack, basically this means he gets to roll initiative agisnt his attacker. He can wait for the attacker to drop his guard. taunting is useful here, as is waiting for a teammate to distract him.

What he can't do is easy. any action that the attacker can see happen, and decides he doesn't want to happen results in applying damage.

Batts

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:58 am

Palladin

Here are a couple of our "house rules":
1) a 1-4 is an automatic miss/failure/etc. Do not add any bonuses, you've missed. That has tended to put the possibility of failure back into a game where it seemed everyones' bonuses prevented them from missing.
2) In combat, any form of instant healing takes 1 action: you want to recover damage, fine, but it uses 1 action. A good way to keep Healing Factor from getting out of control, also applicable to Nightbane characters.
3) No player can use any character or equipment from any Book the GM does not own/have instant regular access to. If I can't research and study it before game play, then you can't spring it on me.
Since I own over 2/3 of the Palladium books product line, then this isn't terribly unfair. So, no buying the latest worldbook, and rolling up a character and expecting me to pass it until I buy the book. IF I plan on buying the book at all...

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha