Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Karmic Power
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:56 pm

D-Bee

how do ya'll see Karmic Power workin, is it on all the time, or is it only in "Realy Realy" just causes and dire straights? In our group it's mostly a full time/ part time thing, it wont help ya win the lottery, but as long as you keep on the path of good an groovy, it is pretty much on all o the time.

Post subject: Re: Karmic Power
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:07 am

Dungeon Crawler

That's how I've generally interpreted it.

Which means principled gets in on most of the time,

Unprincipled gets it intermittent...

Tyciol:
"There's always a need for a head-beating. It will open portals to dimensions holding powerful guitar-clubs."

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:06 am

Hero

Given that most heroes with Karmic power have it as their most major abillity I tend to let them use it quite a bit.

I tend to handle it a lot like the old character "Longshot" as that was whom the power was doubtlessly originally based.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:35 am

Adventurer

Therumancer wrote:
I tend to handle it a lot like the old character "Longshot" as that was whom the power was doubtlessly originally based.

Nope, Karma was one of the original powers and was along long before Longshot. Isn't HU 20 years old? I think it was based on the computer whiz of Justice Machine (I forget his name; Demon maybe; he wore a suit though). But I use to have the Justice Machine sourcebook that came out during the original HU and he was the only character who had it.

The courageous enter dark caves alone, the clever send in the courageous first, the cleverest wait behind the clever.
-- THE BOOK OF CATACLYSM

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:23 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

I still have my copy of Justice Machine and it was Talisman that had the Karmic power not Demon. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:29 am

Prince of Powers

I don't have it work all the time.

The power makes a note of when it works, an I don't see why such an extremely potent ability should be so ever functioning.

That said, it's hard to find a time when it shouldn't be working.

Essentially, when heroes with this power are using words such as 'ends justifies the means' or 'I don't like to do this but I have no other choice' is a good time to start presuming that he is not acting directly in the interests of his alignment's stictures, and therfore shouldn't be working. Another good check phrase is 'you gotta break some eggs if you want to make an omelette'

Also, for those with a spiritual bent, I've had it stop working on a player when he *thought* he was doing a good deed, but in fact was deluded, mistaken or being decieved.

Batts

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:36 am

Explorer

as i have always understood it remains active all the time

but one question what about mystically betowed or any character that has to change forms for that matter is it on all the time or only in superhero forms

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:29 pm

Supreme Being

Ogrr wrote:
how do ya'll see Karmic Power workin, is it on all the time, or is it only in "Realy Realy" just causes and dire straights? In our group it's mostly a full time/ part time thing, it wont help ya win the lottery, but as long as you keep on the path of good an groovy, it is pretty much on all o the time.

As long as the character with the power is being a good boy or girl, the power is always in effect for that character. However it only affects others as long as the user can concentrate on using it.

the drunken werebear wrote:
as i have always understood it remains active all the time

but one question what about mystically betowed or any character that has to change forms for that matter is it on all the time or only in superhero forms

All Mystically Bestowed powers and bonuses only exist when the character is transformed into a superhero. The same goes for those with the experiment or mega-hero side effects of "must transform to use powers." The rest of the time the character is a mere mortal, unless he has additional powers and bonuses independent from the transformation (from alien physiology, etc.).

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:07 pm

Explorer

so that means that while mere mortal i can do all the dastardly stuff i was never able to do as a superhero and never get the bad karma so long as when i chcnge forms i am a do gooder again

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:14 pm

Supreme Being

the drunken werebear wrote:
so that means that while mere mortal i can do all the dastardly stuff i was never able to do as a superhero and never get the bad karma so long as when i chcnge forms i am a do gooder again

No, karma is an omnipresent cosmic force that doesn't care whether you have a superpower related to it or not. Do bad things and you will pay for it when you transform. Furthermore, in the case of a Mystic Bestowed hero you can be sure the being that bestowed the powers is watching you and will be very ticked off...

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:10 pm

Champion

See, now y'all are making me really, really want to play a Crazy Hero with Karmic Power. Imagine multiple personalities, many in denial of their fellow personalities, most with vastly different alignments and personal drives, all sharing that super power.

So, would it effect the personalities that hadn't done wrong? I wouldn't think this is very twinkable, seeing as how the personality triggers are pretty darn set and deliberately hard to manipulate. (The player could well be stuck playing hir villain personality for a very long stretch at a time!) But it's a question of whether or not the karma carries to the whole person, or the individual personalities. :)

For instance. Trauma happens, and your principled alignment goes into hiding, bringing your Miscreant out to play. The Principled personality had been a very good boy for quite a while, power or no power, but the miscreant will have none of that goody two-shoes stuff... He's pulling out a grenade, civilians casualties or not. Vengeance will be his!
So he quickly loses his bonuses when he throws the grenade, because he's being naughty. He fails miserably, and a series of events occur to bring back our Principled character, who is horrified by the carnage around him, but does he still get bonuses for being a good boy earlier, even if the miscreant wasn't? Or is it a whole person afflicted with the hell of multiple personalities who are definitely going to hate eachother for all this?

Ex-Megatokyo Member #3885
First gen Winter Forums
Myers-Briggs ENFP, "Threadkiller"

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:24 pm

Adventurer

I see it always being on, thats how I go about playing it when a character has it in my campaings. Unless the character starts to do acts contrary to his alignemnt then the bad affects start up

Aegis

"I think you've got the solution Aegis."- Sentinel

"Enjoy the boards instead of trying to make them into your own image!!! "- Maryann