Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Negative Matter
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:06 pm

Champion

Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!
Has anyone ever tried to use this power?

It seems kind of wierd, it says alot of stuff in the text.

"Bodies of positive matter and negative matter of the same weight will move away from each other because of gravitational repulsion."

does that mean that a character with the power is forced away from anything weighing as much as or more than he does? If so what about the Earth, it weighs more than the character, is he left bobbing in the sky because he's being repelled from the earth.

"Connecting the two will result in continuous movement in the direction of the positive matter, because the negative matter will push away the positive. This reaction in turn, attracts the negative. This push-pull reaction is constant and results in acceleration and movement."

are they trying to say that his power can be used as a form of movement, ie strap something to your body, and repell it, letting it carry you to where you are going?

Has anyone ever tried to use this power?, if so what have your experiences been with it, how did it work out for you?

Post subject: Re: Negative Matter
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:07 pm

Hero

Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel
Yeah, i've wondered about this power too. The only time i've encountered it in-game was against a high-level NPC who used it in the middle of a crowded office. The result was, basically, an explosion.

Dan (the good The Baron vonClogg) posted a revision of the power on his website, which (as always) is thoughtful and well-done.

here's a link: http://members.cox.net/d.steiner/HeroesUnlim/
Look on the left under: Superpowers, Corrections. The powers are listed in alphabetical order. :ok:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:12 am

Hero

I had a villain who used it along with APS: Metal and a couple of other things that increased his weight.

Basically it made him almost impossible to melee as anytime someone tried to hit him they wound up getting repulsed... and made his own hits the kings of uber-knock back.

I pretty much interpeted it through a comic book reality and didn't worry too much about things like him repelling the earth... although simply by having the power active he would also send cars flying and such.

I figured it could be turned on and off, so he had a certain amount of control over it.

That said, he was a nasty baddie but like most modern comic book villains he was eventually killed. :P

>>>----Therumancer--->

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:58 am

D-Bee

omfg

this is a redundant power and should be banned in play or REVISED severly (yes more so then he did in the website.) negitive matter dose not escape gravity for starters NOTHING BUT ANTI-Gravitos escape gravity NOTHING! and scnese no scientist can figure how to create a anti-givonic feild they belive it is just a therory that will go no were (and yes even a mas of anti matter dose not produce anti gravitons) anti mater is used to create explotions pure and simple ... much like the spell anti matter the char would not fly off into space because he is floating thogh MATTER there is dust there is even pokets of air, ice, tons of things that give off mater in space and this is redundant power in the real world if some one tunred into anti matter and came in contact with mater he would explode at such a high charge it would most likely blow our solor system to hell and back.

the throry is 1 atomic partical of anti matter and 1 atomic partical of mater hit and cause the big bang...... yeh not my idea of fun...............

My munchkin?

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:31 am

D-Bee

quick note: that antimatter description is a little overstated.

A 75 kiloton explosion (roughly what they dropper on Hiroshima) would require an amount of antimatter equal to that of a penny.

Powerful? You betcha! Big Bang off a particle? Not quite. :)

My $0.02

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:21 pm

Adventurer

Thanks for the plug, acreRake- I just re-read that power.... It's pretty complicated, but I still like it. :)

PHaRTnONu: They say pretty clearly, IIRC, that "negative" matter is not anti-matter. True that we don't have any actual negative matter to work with in real life, but current cosmological research has found that some kind of repulsive force is dominating the accelerating expansion of the universe right now.... Might not be anti-gravity, but that's one way to think about it. Anti-matter's not as rare or destructive as you might think- We create it every day in labs without blowing ourselves up. :)

Now the Relatavistic Heavy Ion Collider up north.... That's some dangerous crap. One of my professors was at the meeting where they first asked "if we turn this on, will it destroy the universe?" Three weeks later, they were reasonably sure that it wouldn't. We're still here, so I guess they were right....

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:32 am

Monk

Comment: I'm basically a sexy Rasputin!
The Baron vonClogg wrote:
Thanks for the plug, acreRake- I just re-read that power.... It's pretty complicated, but I still like it. :)

PHaRTnONu: They say pretty clearly, IIRC, that "negative" matter is not anti-matter. True that we don't have any actual negative matter to work with in real life, but current cosmological research has found that some kind of repulsive force is dominating the accelerating expansion of the universe right now.... Might not be anti-gravity, but that's one way to think about it. Anti-matter's not as rare or destructive as you might think- We create it every day in labs without blowing ourselves up. :)

Now the Relatavistic Heavy Ion Collider up north.... That's some dangerous crap. One of my professors was at the meeting where they first asked "if we turn this on, will it destroy the universe?" Three weeks later, they were reasonably sure that it wouldn't. We're still here, so I guess they were right....

You look at the size of the universe, and think of how many worlds there are, how many of them must have life, and how many of those worlds must have developed technology, and then ask yourself, is it really that likely that nobody has come along who wasn't gonna flip that switch?

No Stimpy, don't press the button!!!! :lol:

"Rik is a deep and abundant reservoir of cool..." - Yisterwald
Party hydrants strive when they have a sorority backed by beige regurgitations.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:53 am

Explorer

you push away what ever weighs like 75% less than you do
so the earth will not repel you
your weight is the basis for repulsion
i do like the idea of aps metal combined with this power
especially if the villan is using a missle type weapon

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:45 pm

Explorer

Therumancer wrote:
I pretty much interpeted it through a comic book reality

shouldnt this game pretty much be taken that way? i mean when spider-man sensed danger, or scott summers shot eye lasers that he couldnt control...i dont think i ever questioned how it works...maybe im just a simpleton, and like story over schematics...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:38 pm

D-Bee

your not very smart
ready the threoies again in quantum flux a lvl 7 sub atomic partical in a difrant flux could be the size of a planet in our "world" hence the threor that our univer's entire existance is with in a atom of another dimitions gran of sand.............. hence why anti-mater and matter is the birth place of the big bang ill go get the books and let u read them

My munchkin?

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:02 pm

Adventurer

PHaRTnONu wrote:
your not very smart
ready the threoies again in quantum flux a lvl 7 sub atomic partical in a difrant flux could be the size of a planet in our "world" hence the threor that our univer's entire existance is with in a atom of another dimitions gran of sand.............. hence why anti-mater and matter is the birth place of the big bang ill go get the books and let u read them

I'll be sure to bring that up when I defend my PhD thesis in Particle Physics this summer.... :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:29 pm

Champion

Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!
the drunken werebear wrote:
you push away what ever weighs like 75% less than you do
so the earth will not repel you
your weight is the basis for repulsion
i do like the idea of aps metal combined with this power
especially if the villan is using a missle type weapon

see the odd thing is that in the text it says that Matter and Negative Matter repel each other, but from the way the power works (and the way I'd likely play it) Negative Matter repels Matter, but Matter has it's normal effect on Negative matter.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:53 pm

Dungeon Crawler

The problem here is that people are trying to rationlize a super power.

Fictional much.

My quazi-quantam fission laser diluter cannon does 2 d 6 X 10 damage!

*checks notes* Sorry that shouldnt do more then 1d6x10 damage. Guh?

Nuff said.

Quote:
ANTI-Gravitos

The next chip flavour!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:22 pm

Hero

Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel
PHaRTnONu wrote:
your not very smart

:) :-) :-D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :hug:

Yeah, i think i'll take Dan's word for it.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:29 pm

Supreme Being

That quote would be funny if it wasn't so sad... :nh:

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:12 pm

Adventurer

I'm just glad people are reading science, even if there are a few misconceptions floating around. I still think there's a non-zero chance he was kidding, since I've never heard of a "level 7" particle.... The "gravitos" made me laugh, too, because I commit that typo all the time. :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:23 pm

D-Bee

Comment: >>Hear noise in closet
>>Open door
>>Dead boy pops out
>>Nope.rar.exe!
Quote:
ready the threoies again

Dispite the horrible spelling, everything your basing your argument on is a "theory", it has not been proven and is quite possible that it might not even work the way scientists think it would.