"Fast Ball" Special

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Uncle Servo
Champion

Re: "Fast Ball" Special

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

cubist wrote:Well, range is easy- how far could your superstrong character throw an object that weighed as much as the other character? Oh, BTW, if the character can increase their density and does so in mid-flight, chances are better than good that they just ate up all their momentum and will not even hit the target. Damage is harder- I really have no idea what to tell you there. As far as penalties or bonuses go, it would be a heavy penalty to throw a human being as a weapon, modified by the following: Is the the throwee metal laced or otherwise equipped to be used as a human dart? Are they(throwee) a willing dart? How agile is the thrower? Has the thrower ever thrown anything like a person before(tree, telephone pole, etc.)? How far away is the target? Also, if the characters are really interested in this maneuver, let them do it with heavy penalties for a while and then let them develop the attack as a skill that initially reduces or negates the penalties and eventually allows them to use the attack with bonuses to hit. Hope these thoughts helped...

These are valid questions and points. IIRC, the variation involving Colossus and Wolverine was something they had practiced time and time again, and more often than not wasn't intended to dish out a lot more damage as it was to effectively create a ranged attack with two characters that normally had none. I've also seen interesting variations on that theme with a brick and a flyer -- the flyer would do a dive-bombing run and let go of the brick, who would then become a human wrecking ball (usually performed when entrance into a building is desired).

As for extra damage, I would probably treat the throwee's attack as a long-range leap attack doing a critical hit.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

In a certain game system whence that particular attack occured (no names mentioned) there was a specific mechanic involved.

To Paraphrase.

1) it is a charge attack.
2) It presumes the thrower can actually lift and throw the throwwee accurately. it's not enough to just lift them and be able to carry them, the throwee has to be in the throwers comfortable carry range.
3) Either the thrower's skill at throwing is used, OR the throwee's HTH skill is used to hit.
4) Damage is based of the thrown character normal melee attack, modified for any benefits gained from the charge.

In palladium, i guess then, it would require that the thrower has enough PS that the throwee's weight falls into about 20-50% of their carry capacity. A hit roll is made by either character, modified by the HTH score of the throwee or the throwing skill of the thrower.
Damage would be based on an attack made by the throwee, but damage bonuses from high strength should be averaged between the thrower and throwee.

Considering palladium's mechanics, it should be a critical (like a leap attack) or score a knockdown and loss of initiative (like a body block/tackle). probably both if it requires more than one action on the throwers/throwees part. Possibly the throwee will lose an attack.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

actually now that i think of it, a certain game system that also uses a D20, has this process, an in game mechanic if you will known as 'aid another'

By using 'aid another' the auxilliary participants can garner bonuses to a primary participant's action. This is a broad spectrum thing, and doesn't actually do a lot in practise. each particpant has a chance to add a +2 bonus to the primary character's roll. Translated into palladium, this doesn't do much more than allow people to overcome parry deamons or people with high AR's. at the cost of multiple attacks.

But now that i think of it, combined attacks should be treated as a critical attack, using the lower of the strengths involved. thats a quick fix, though, not specific ruling.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”