Power Levels

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Re: Power Levels

Unread post by Preacher »

OK I missed it. Where are people saying that PU2 is too powerful. I agree with you the potential for abuse is there, it is no more so than the books before it in the HU2 line.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Carmen
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Carmen »

Hi, (sorry if I sound like a novice I am a little new to this board & internet) my name is Carmen Bellaire, if things are a little too powerful in PU2, its my fault. But I also put in a bunch of non-powered heroes in there and the minor hero option that can be used to tone down any of the character classes that you think are over the top. The idea for PU1&2, originally intended to be one book, was to give us a host of options and to be able to play the kinds of heroes I read in todays comics. Of course some of them are more powerful because in the comics, those kinds of heroes are the more powerful ones (may I just point to the Aliens in HU2 as an example) but I dont think they ruin game balance at all. If they do in your game (probably do to munchink players) just limit those classes to minor heroes only. Well thanks, Carmen Bellaire. :-D
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Carmen wrote:Hi, (sorry if I sound like a novice I am a little new to this board & internet) my name is Carmen Bellaire, if things are a little too powerful in PU2, its my fault. But I also put in a bunch of non-powered heroes in there and the minor hero option that can be used to tone down any of the character classes that you think are over the top. The idea for PU1&2, originally intended to be one book, was to give us a host of options and to be able to play the kinds of heroes I read in todays comics. Of course some of them are more powerful because in the comics, those kinds of heroes are the more powerful ones (may I just point to the Aliens in HU2 as an example) but I dont think they ruin game balance at all. If they do in your game (probably do to munchink players) just limit those classes to minor heroes only. Well thanks, Carmen Bellaire. :-D

Personally, I was a little apprehensive at first about the Eugenics hero. But after I compared it to bionics and robotics (and the "In-game limitations" of the character) I saw that it wasn't too bad. Still, in my game I have reduced the budget slightly to discourage players from simply loading up on super abilities. It's just a matter of personal taste.
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Preacher
Hero
Comment: My Thermonuclear level defense of Palladium is neither condoned nor endorsed by Palladium Books.

Unread post by Preacher »

Carmen wrote:Hi, (sorry if I sound like a novice I am a little new to this board & internet) my name is Carmen Bellaire, if things are a little too powerful in PU2, its my fault. But I also put in a bunch of non-powered heroes in there and the minor hero option that can be used to tone down any of the character classes that you think are over the top. The idea for PU1&2, originally intended to be one book, was to give us a host of options and to be able to play the kinds of heroes I read in todays comics. Of course some of them are more powerful because in the comics, those kinds of heroes are the more powerful ones (may I just point to the Aliens in HU2 as an example) but I dont think they ruin game balance at all. If they do in your game (probably do to munchink players) just limit those classes to minor heroes only. Well thanks, Carmen Bellaire. :-D

Hi Carmen and welcome to the boards. I for one do NOT see PU 1 & 2 as too powerful at all. Is there the potential for real powerful characters? Yes but your books just expand the HU2 line so as to better be able to play a more full range of characters, versatility and all that. Two of the best HU2 books in a long time. As for the comics aspect I agree whole heartedly being a long time comic book nerd that I am. You need your Bowmen and Street Fighters just as you need you Megas, Powerful Immortals and Demi-Gods to be able to emmulate the full range of comic type characters that HU2 is based on.
Again Great book/books Carmen.
ImageImage Yeah I like guns. Image
I pledge allegiance to this flag, if that bothers you well that's too bad!!!
Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

Thanks for the Welcomes
I am glad you guys like the books.
Originally, they were intended as one larger book, but Kevin decided to split them up.
Alot of the stuff I gave him is still on the cutting room floor so to speak but may be in PU3.
Which should wrap up the PU books, at least from me.
This is my first day on the boards, but I will be glad to answer any questions.
After seeing these boards it seems like a lot of fun, so I though I would try.
But with work and writing, I will only be able to get on once or twice a week.
Thanks, Carmen. :-P
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

To echo Aegis & Preacher, welcome to the Palladium boards Carmen. "May God have mercy on your soul..." :lol:

As for the topic at hand, the only part I could see as more munchkin-bait than the others (as per Kittenstomp's evaluation and from off-list conversations with him) would be the Eugenics category... but even then, it seems like there are enough balances in the system where it wouldn't become dominant over everything else.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel

Unread post by Guest »

i think its great that there are the options for extreme would be world killing hero's and villains...

there is a built in weakening factor (minor hero's, cause a minor immortal is indeed a good deal less abuseable than a full blown demi-god)

thinking mans classes (Natural Genius, love it) the new Super Soldiers, which mesh so well with N&SS that i have begun a game with my girlfriend using just the Super Soldier rules in an N&SS type world...

keep up the good work carmen, it is much appreciated.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Glad to have you aboard Carmen. I too like most of the others find your work pretty darn good.
In my new HU group, I attempted to get the players to use some of the new super abilities and OCC's. Thanx for the extra punch that the HU game line needed.

I can't wait to see you Splicers Book. Care to tell us anything about it here?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

It would be a little off topic here, so I will start a new thread (if I can figure out how) and tell you a little about it. :-o
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Just one question: Since when can cyborgs fly :?:
In fact, a cyborg with an equivalent budget to a Eugenics character can often do more, have more options, fly faster, etc.
Carmen

Unread post by Carmen »

I just talked to Kevin today, PU3 is a go for sometime at the start of next year, you will get all the random charts then, okay. :-D Carmen 8-)
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Gestalt: Arguably the most powerful character's pound for pound, their limitations are even more extreme than the Empowered and Imbued hero options. On the plus side you can have over 1000 SDC, on the downside, your Gestalt hero could be a conflicted schizophrenic mess.
Pros: You're power incarnate.
Cons: You have to share it with your brother.

I was always wondering why the gestalt was not made robotic?
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

Jaegermeister wrote:
Goldenbane wrote:I love the powers unlimited books, but I do wish that more tables had been included as it is difficult for me to currently try to print Kittenstomp's tables.

Dude, go to the Library or a friend's house with a printer, access this site, print it out. Not hard. Or, get a 3.5, yadda, yadda, yadda...

What HE said. Where there's a will there's a way... and Kittenstomp's tables are well worth the effort of finding that way. :ok:
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

This was so well-written I had to read it twice. And, I agree with you on just about every point (except maybe the Phys Training heroes:a favorite of mine, but that's my bias.)
I do believe you omitted the Mega-Hero from your desriptions, and I assume that's because it's a sub-catagory of the other power catagories. If that's the case, wouldn't the inclusion of a Mega change the nature of some of your pros and cons?
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”