Super Soldier Question?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Super Soldier Question?

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Powers Unlimited 2 rocks! However, I'm not exactly sure I understand something.
Then again maybe I'm not reading it right. You roll on the type and numbers chart.
Okay that I get. Then it says roll 1D4 on the Special Super Soldier enhancement table.
That I get. However, what happens if you roll the on the first table and get the BIA
or Chemically Enchanced guy? Do you add the 1D4 super soldier stuff to it? I don't
think so, because on the following pages after the 2nd table, it says instead of the
above, you can choose one of the alternative types. I need a life line here from
the audience, so I have a podium to preech from when my friends try to munchkin
these guys out.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Re: Super Soldier Question?

Wow, I read that thread to the question and so far it seemed 50/50 on the
question. Honesty I feel the BIA (Crazy) and Chemical Enhanced (Juicer)
and Wolverine where a little bit over the top. I mean PW2 could have just
modified the charts and tables in the Rifter and SS would be fine. But if you
take any one of these three OCC and combine 4 other powers, plus a
mini-missile launcher, and a modified vehicle, the character to me
seems more like some Mega Hero, and speaking of which that leads the door
open to Mega Hero SS :eek: . Just what sort of villians is a poor GM suppose to come
up with to fight guys like these :( . Afraid my players are going to be
a little bit disappointed when I DENY them the right to get that 1D4 extra
roll if they make one of these three OCC. :D
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Actually, I think youy might only suppose to get the 1D4 enhancements (ie the old school SS table) if you get the "super powers" table.
My explanation = On page 81, under the heading "Alternative Types of Super Soldiers" it says
Instead of the *above, the player may select and roll up one of the **following three augmented characters.

* referring to the previous table which is the table where you get the 1D4 SS enhancements. Note the keyword before the words above.. "Instead of".

**roll up one of the following three .... instead of super abiilites or the SS enhancements, you get either the crazy, juicer, robotic type of SS.

hope this helps you.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Cardiac
Adventurer

Unread post by Cardiac »

Thought it was something like that......
"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" - Thomas Jefferson

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with senses, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

for the record, i agree with NMI. that's the way i first read it. either you can get a souped up classic super soldier with options and super powers, or you can go with one of the package deals.
a juicer IS a super soldier. it allready has built in many equivalents of super soldier options.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.

Unread post by Guest »

if you roll a brain enhanced guy, get 1 super soldier option, and roll virtually any of the choices...he really isnt a super tough guy...

yeah the endo skeletal replacement is tough, but more importantly, its cool...

just like juicers (which you can forget if you wanna play a long term campaign.."sorry mike, everyone else is about to make level 8...you're just gonna die or be a cripple, but it was fun while it lasted wasnt it?")

you get the 1d4 super soldier enchancements no matter what...

the power table provides the power level...2 minors and 1 ss enhance aint much...but 1 major, three minor and 4 is no worse than endo and 4.
Reagren Wright

Hey just checked the Q&A on the Forums and saw the answer to the
question. Yep all SS get 1D4 rolls on the table regardless of what
kind of SS they are. Oh well, I'm not sure I agree with it, but
that just means coming up with even nastier bad guys :demon:
guardsys_prime

Unread post by guardsys_prime »

Had the same thoughts when I read that the first time. After re-reading it several times, this is what I came up with:

The OS (Old School) Supersoldier gets the Supersolder Enhancement picks.

The BIA, CE and ER Supersoldiers dont, since they're chock full of secret military wet-ware goodness already.

Nothing addresses the Psychic Supersoldier, but after looking over the OS Supersoldier again I realized that thier "non-enhancement" levels are fairly similar... so, the Psychic Supersoldier get's the Supersolder Enhancement picks as well.

Sound good?

Unread post by Guest »

if you think 4 enhancements is too powerful for a endoskeletal SS, just limit them to one or two, but let them choose something they will like...

if you let them have the full range of the tables, make them roll for what they get.

that solves the power balance problem nicely, because they arent picking and choosing the top of the line, just taking what they get.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

I thought that the juicer style, crazy style, and cyborg (headhunter style) did NOT get anything extra: they were just more like 21st century equivalents of their Rifts' counterparts.
I must not have been paying close enough attention.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

Hyperion wrote:I'm pretty sure Carmen once said that YES you do get the 1D4 ehancements on top of the Alternative Types.

I wish someone would collaborate with me on this.

never! hahahahaa..!
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Super Soldiers v.s. Experiments

Unread post by Yukon »

Larry97501 wrote:Exscuse me I wasn't sure if this was the right topic to post on but, one of my gamers rolled up the damn 6 minors and ended up with SH Strength, EX Speed, Ex PP, Nightstalker, and a couple more i can't remember off hand.

How in the "expletive deleted" am I supposed to deal with the character?

I have a photin from AU, a borg, and a atorian from AU coming into the game.

Any advice is appreciated.

you're kidding, right? do you regularly GM HU? this character is not really that bad. you could be in a much worse situation.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Super Soldier Question

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Johnny Chronic wrote:One final nitpick: Most of the Special Weapons are pretty keen, but an Energy Whip? Kinda goofy, isn't it? I mean, what modern military force trains its personnel in the use and maintenance of the whip? 8>)

Well, maybe all the soldiers in an army of evil dominatrices...

Also, despite the name, a super-soldier can just as easily be a super-agent, in which case exotic weapons aren't so unusual.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”