Advice on a Magic Character

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GundamChief
Wanderer
Comment: It's a Gundam! *Boom!* ~ Every enemy soldier ever.

Advice on a Magic Character

Unread post by GundamChief »

I'm currently working on a small campaign for a few online players. One of the character's is your basic joe blow who for reasons "good hearted, good headed, etc." was selected by a dying mage hero to receive his powers via transference. Basically, he pulled a green lantern, only with magic.

I decided that the character would have one of the attributes of the mage to basically show how much the character is different from before in addition to suddenly knowing how to "magick".

So (aside from PE because PPE is a good thing) which attribute do people think would be the best stat for a mage to have a high number in?
"Your tricks are no match for Gundams immense power"-Amuro Rei
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Re: Advice on a Magic Character

Unread post by zerombr »

classically, ME and IQ are fitting, if the original wizard was something of a summoner than a higher MA would help too, even if he wasn't that's your presence.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

ME will help with mental saving throws and represents the classical "iron will"
MA is that "aura of mystical power" that many wizards seem to have
IQ is useful as it can provide a skill bonus to any of your magical skills, especially handy for things like lore skills, principles of magic, or scroll conversion skill or all the other skills that come with magic. (I don't know what all you use in your game is why I mention several options)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

If he got selected because he already had a good heart and a good head, maybe all he gets — other than magic powers — are a stage performer’s finger flourishes and sleight-of-hand showmanship?
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I'd go with ME or MA if you don't want to 'game' it by picking PE.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

Frist thought was M.E. and I.Q.

You should me mental stable and have a high intelect to learn the magic arts.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”