Natural Combat Ability Question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Natural Combat Ability Question

Unread post by The Beast »

Is this power not meant to provide any strike bonuses?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Natural Combat Ability Question

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

That is the way it seems, the only strike bonuses that would be available would be:
-High PP Bonus
-Other Powers
-the +2strike/shoot with Weapons (last paragraph of power description)
-any inherit bonuses in items (ex. a balanced sword to provide +1strike would still apply)
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

Lol. 12 attacks per round. I think that might be the highest I've ever seen. He makes up for his lack of accuracy with feral fury. Kinda curious what combination of powers maxes out attacks per round. This plus multiple beings plus sonic speed plus aps light... go team death blossom.
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

Vincent Takeda wrote:Lol. 12 attacks per round. I think that might be the highest I've ever seen. He makes up for his lack of accuracy with feral fury. Kinda curious what combination of powers maxes out attacks per round. This plus multiple beings plus sonic speed plus aps light... go team death blossom.

Some of those actions are for dodging as well. I think that is a pretty good trade off as you might just overwhelm any one that has no actions left to dodge anyway.
The Beast

Tick wrote:
Vincent Takeda wrote:Lol. 12 attacks per round. I think that might be the highest I've ever seen. He makes up for his lack of accuracy with feral fury. Kinda curious what combination of powers maxes out attacks per round. This plus multiple beings plus sonic speed plus aps light... go team death blossom.

Some of those actions are for dodging as well. I think that is a pretty good trade off as you might just overwhelm any one that has no actions left to dodge anyway.

That power comes with auto-dodge though. Those 12 APR are just for attacks.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Only strike bonuses, other than the weapon bonus mentioned is from the copied combat skill.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Can anyone recall where it mentions getting bonuses from the copied skill? Book example? Online errata?
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

Yeah. I remember the opposite. In my edition of the book it says you copy the style, but specifically not the skill level.

"Fighting with comparible style but not level of experience" they say.

The native bonuses pretty much make up for it, and strike bonuses from prowess bonuses ain't too hard to come by.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

Natural combat ability plus sonic speed plus disruptive touch plus tentacles. Death by hentai. This is why we fear cthulhu.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

We always ran it that you get the bonuses for the hand to hand style equal to your level (so if you are fighting someone with HtH Martial Arts, you get everything a character with HtH Martial Arts would get at your own level) plus the bonuses that you get regardless. Remember that if the opponent has worse than Expert, you fight with HtH expert. Thus, once you hit level 3, you get the +2 to strike. Against someone with Martial arts you get it as lvl 2 and against someone with assassin you get it at lvl 1.

If you get to lvl 12 and are fighting someone with HtH assassin, then you get another +2, with another +2 at 15.

Other less common hand to hands I don't know off hand.

Apply the same for dodge and parry bonuses, as well as bonuses to damage, critical hit ranges, etc.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Vincent Takeda wrote:Yeah. I remember the opposite. In my edition of the book it says you copy the style, but specifically not the skill level.

"Fighting with comparible style but not level of experience" they say.

HU2p284:
    If he encounters a Ninja or alien with an otherworldly style 01 martial arts, within one melee round, the character will be fighting with a comparable style (but not level of experience)

I always took that to mean a 2nd level hero with NCA against a 15th level HTH Assassin only got the abilities of a 2nd level HTH Assassin.

Looking to the following:
    can fight in the same style as his opponent, enabling him to counter and strike effectively.
    Thus, if an opponent has expert hand to hand, the Character with the Natural Combat Ability fights on roughly the same
    level (with the bonuses listed below).

The last parenthesis doesn't say "ONLY the bonuses listed below", we should keep in mind. How exactly do you "strike effectively" without strike bonuses? We can't base this on the assumption that a hero will have a high enough PP to get them.

Fightstik from the HU/Rifts supplements Skraypers (pg 95 to 97) seems to offer a final answer on how to interpret things.
    enables the character to fight with the same skill level, style, moves and Hand to Hand bonuses as his opponent, plus his own bonuses from the Natural Combat Ability and attributes
    The minimal bonuses to strike, parry and dodge are equal to Hand to Hand: Expert plus attribute bonuses.
    Combat Bonuses (Natural Combat Ability & Attribute Bonuses only): These are added to those "matched" by an opponent.

The writeup on page 153 appears to have been rephrased for clarify compared to HU2 as well:
    he can mimic virtually any fighting style of his opponent and fight at the same level
    meaning he has all his opponent's hand to hand combat bonuses to strike, parry, dodge, and damage plus his own (mainly attribute bonuses), plus the bonuses listed in this description!

It seems like these guys are now ALWAYS better in HTH, their own downside seems to be with WP because they can't learn them and only get a +2.

Of course, taking the major Weapon Merge from Powers Unlimited (Warbornish) could over-ride that.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

Axelmania wrote:
Vincent Takeda wrote:
Fightstik from the HU/Rifts supplements Skraypers (pg 95 to 97)

Ah. Definitely dont have that book. As a rifts dimension book it doesnt really factor into what I consider HU canon. On the other hand HU2 errata item #19 does say that he gets the strike parry and dodge bonuses of his opponent.
The Beast

Vincent Takeda wrote:
Axelmania wrote:
Vincent Takeda wrote:
Fightstik from the HU/Rifts supplements Skraypers (pg 95 to 97)

Ah. Definitely dont have that book. As a rifts dimension book it doesnt really factor into what I consider HU canon. On the other hand HU2 errata item #19 does say that he gets the strike parry and dodge bonuses of his opponent.

What errata are you talking about? The one I downloaded from here contains no such line.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

We always did it that a 3rd level Natural fighting a 7th level Martial Arts trained character the Natural would fight like a 3rd level MA with the bonuses in the power.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”