Unifying Vehicles, Robots, and Bionics

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dataweaver
Adventurer

Unifying Vehicles, Robots, and Bionics

Unread post by dataweaver »

OK; “unifying” might be a bit strong for what I have in mind. However, these three power categories (well, “Hardware Mechanical Genius” is the power category where super-vehicles are concerned) exist on a continuum of sorts, with considerable overlap among them. Other than the control systems, why should there be any difference between a super-vehicle, a robot vehicle, and a full-conversion cyborg in a vehicular frame? And what exactly is the difference between a piloted robot and a vehicle with a legged propulsion system?

Likewise with bionic systems and Power Armor: the latter could easily be viewed as a mechanical exoskeleton with “bionic” systems attached to it. Ditto with humaniform robotic frames.

So, have any efforts been made toward standardizing these things, or at least rationalizing the differences?
RockJock
Knight

Re: Unifying Vehicles, Robots, and Bionics

Unread post by RockJock »

To my knowledge there has been nothing official to streamline the tech build classes. My group has always merged them all together, so that the builder can pick and choose pieces as they see fit.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Sadly what material there is for this...
...is in Hardware Unlimited.
:-? Which sadly is in publishing limbo :-?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

eliakon wrote:Sadly what material there is for this...
...is in Hardware Unlimited.
:-? Which sadly is in publishing limbo :-?
Exactly.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Her0man0
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Her0man0 »

What about combining bionics with the supersoldier endoskeletal replacement. I'm specifically thinking of this type of character having 2 bionic arms.

However, the bionic arms can have a max PS of 28 but the skeleton replacement adds +4D6 to PS. It seems strange that the skeleton would provide a higher PS than Bionic arms. Would I combine them (28+4D6 PS)?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Her0man0 wrote:What about combining bionics with the supersoldier endoskeletal replacement. I'm specifically thinking of this type of character having 2 bionic arms.

However, the bionic arms can have a max PS of 28 but the skeleton replacement adds +4D6 to PS. It seems strange that the skeleton would provide a higher PS than Bionic arms. Would I combine them (28+4D6 PS)?

You could do it, though what you are describing is basically a Partial Conversion 'Borg.

The Bionic Arm and the Endoskeletal replacement though result in 2 different PS values though. The Bionic Arms would have their own PS value separate from the rest of the body.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”