Must Transform to be hindered

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Must Transform to be hindered

Unread post by acreRake »

In general, when a character must “power up*” in order to use their powers, are their powers’ drawbacks also only active while powered up? Specifically thinking of powers like solar powered or bookworm with obvious penalties,
but also things like clairvoyant flashes... I suppose that those would force a transformation? Hmmmm. Then what about mind block auto defense? Are these characters actually psychic when not powered up?
Any other weird cases to note?

*experiments with the side effect, mega beings with the Achilles’ heel, bestowed, super invention, magic object, gestalt...many others I’m sure.
Neorealist
Wanderer
Comment: 42

Re: Must Transform to be hindered

Unread post by Neorealist »

Depends on the transformation effect: but I'd say if the drawback is a permanent one added as part of a power, it'd only apply while that power is active. On the other hand if it's a temporary drawback, then it'd stay in effect until the duration elapsed.

That said, I'm not sure there is a specific rule that addresses this.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Must Transform to be hindered

Unread post by eliakon »

acreRake wrote:In general, when a character must “power up*” in order to use their powers, are their powers’ drawbacks also only active while powered up? Specifically thinking of powers like solar powered or bookworm with obvious penalties,
but also things like clairvoyant flashes... I suppose that those would force a transformation? Hmmmm. Then what about mind block auto defense? Are these characters actually psychic when not powered up?
Any other weird cases to note?

*experiments with the side effect, mega beings with the Achilles’ heel, bestowed, super invention, magic object, gestalt...many others I’m sure.

My take on this.
If your powers are something you only have part of the time and you are a normal otherwise (for example an Imbued, or a mystic object/weapon) then your drawbacks only apply while you are powered up. After all, with out the empowering force/agent/whatever you are just an average person and normal people don't have super vulnerabilities.

If your powers are something that you have to transform into, but you are always a meta (for example a mega-hero with 'must transform' or mystic empowered or the like) then I would, personally, say that you are always hindered by your weaknesses as the norm, but that you can work out with the GM a different result.

If your powers are something else... then you will need to work out with the GM the specifiics based on what the story you are trying to tell, and the particular game.
My general feeling is that if you have ANY super perks running... you should get the penalties of being a super as well. However I am willing to work with people on moderating this based on specifics.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”