A BOOK ABOUT A NEW WORLD >>>

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

A BOOK ABOUT A NEW WORLD >>>

Unread post by Tick »

I think a new world book for Heroes Unlimited would be good. It works well for Rifts and the fans so it would likely do exceptionally well if it included SDC world HU world content. I have a few idea's but I have no clue about how Palladium books works with respect to how they create new world books.
Hell knight
Explorer

Re: A BOOK ABOUT A NEW WORLD >>>

Unread post by Hell knight »

I so totally agree , i have thought the same thing .
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I would rather they did a book on building cities rather than giving us another world book like Gramercy Island.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

"A book about new world" sounds like Skraypers instead of Century Station. For a HU world book: perhaps have CS's CHIMERA be so successful that other cities want to use it. So Operation Chimera(no longer an acronym) is launched. A new citybook, of a peviously mentioned city, could thus have the PC'S chosen to take up a role as the city's new superteam(because the old team mysteriously disappeared and the new guys were all they managed to vet before that happened). So now the PC'S are thrown into the spotlight. There are badguys to fight. Coprrjption to overcome, and that niggling little mystery of the olds teams disappearance to solve.....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Juce734
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Game On!

Unread post by Juce734 »

I think a whole world book would actually be really cool. A world where less than 1% of the population is a meta could be really interesting. Some places would have more than others maybe? Could be an extremely awesome book for the Heroes Unlimited setting.
Games: Savage Rifts, Fantasy Age, Dragon Age, Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, Ninjas and Superspies, and Rifts
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/MasterTheGameRPG (please check out)
Website: https://www.rpgjuce.com/master-the-game-rpg-link-tree
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I would rather they did a book on building cities rather than giving us another world book like Gramercy Island.

I LOVE BUILDING!!!

*cough cough*

I support this idea, being able to craft out a city at least in a manner similar to how we can make organizations in the point buy system would go a long way for me, I get really weirded out using real world places as in game locations and find making them from scratch to be a bit of a pain...though if I apply the concepts of the point buy system...and a general idea of how many cops/hospitals/jails/other key buildings are in city....

Maybe categories like
Crime Rate (from almost none to everyoneis some kind of criminal)
Government (from hard line to totally corrupt)
Police (from mall cop to super swat and assault robots)
Super Villians (from small fry to galactic criminals)
Super Heroes (from moms basement to they sometime save the galaxy)
Economy (from dirt poor to hey look ma i bought the latest particle beam rifle!)

with city size determining points top spend
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Juce734 wrote:I think a whole world book would actually be really cool. A world where less than 1% of the population is a meta could be really interesting. Some places would have more than others maybe? Could be an extremely awesome book for the Heroes Unlimited setting.

Wasn't this an episode of Darkwing Duck?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

How so?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Nightmartree wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I would rather they did a book on building cities rather than giving us another world book like Gramercy Island.

I LOVE BUILDING!!!

*cough cough*

I support this idea, being able to craft out a city at least in a manner similar to how we can make organizations in the point buy system would go a long way for me, I get really weirded out using real world places as in game locations and find making them from scratch to be a bit of a pain...though if I apply the concepts of the point buy system...and a general idea of how many cops/hospitals/jails/other key buildings are in city....

Maybe categories like
Crime Rate (from almost none to everyone is some kind of criminal)
Economy (from dirt poor to hey look ma i bought the latest particle beam rifle!)

I think we are somewhat on the same page. But I also want certain other things addressed. Figuring out populations and economy would be much easier with a set of guidelines. Then you would have rules on how to spend the city budget on police and emergency services, which would in turn be affected by the corruptness of those in power and possible embezzlement. Depending on the laws of trade in the city would determine whether certain businesses go underground.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:.though if I apply the concepts of the point buy system...and a general idea of how many cops/hospitals/jails/other key buildings are in city....

Maybe categories like
Crime Rate (from almost none to everyone is some kind of criminal)

I think we are somewhat on the same page. But I also want certain other things addressed. Figuring out populations and economy would be much easier with a set of guidelines. Then you would have rules on how to spend the city budget on police and emergency services, which would in turn be affected by the corruptness of those in power and possible embezzlement. Depending on the laws of trade in the city would determine whether certain businesses go underground.

Well I feel like what your looking for feeds into what i'm looking for, populations and city size would be what determines the points for points system. Corruption could be "Bonus Points" or a result of who or what is funding the cities economy. Laws and underground buisnesses would depend on Crime Rate and Level of Corruption and would be additional information similar to "how many police stations would likely be in a city this size", its an important additional information once you determine the size of city and other factors.

Basically i'm looking for an overarching "This is the things this city can do" and you want the "This is how a city does this" I think? Both together would give a pretty comprehensive understanding of any city made while providing a system for creating it, but it would likely require a lot of looking at city planning to figure out the general number/trends.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmartree wrote:Well I feel like what your looking for feeds into what i'm looking for, populations and city size would be what determines the points for points system. Corruption could be "Bonus Points" or a result of who or what is funding the cities economy. Laws and underground buisnesses would depend on Crime Rate and Level of Corruption and would be additional information similar to "how many police stations would likely be in a city this size", its an important additional information once you determine the size of city and other factors.

Basically i'm looking for an overarching "This is the things this city can do" and you want the "This is how a city does this" I think? Both together would give a pretty comprehensive understanding of any city made while providing a system for creating it, but it would likely require a lot of looking at city planning to figure out the general number/trends.
Which is why it will probably never happen. They don't seem to want to put that kind of time and detail into the books. They would rather feed us game settings that are premade.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:it would likely require a lot of looking at city planning to figure out the general number/trends.
Which is why it will probably never happen. They don't seem to want to put that kind of time and detail into the books. They would rather feed us game settings that are premade.

Well honestly I can understand why in this case, if it was no big deal to go research these details about cities and organize them into a generation system then we would go do it. What really needs to happen is we find a GM who is a city planner in his day job and get him to consult.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

I've got a city setting that I hope gets turned into a sourcebook. :D but nothing fully world related.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmartree wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Nightmartree wrote:it would likely require a lot of looking at city planning to figure out the general number/trends.

Well honestly I can understand why in this case, if it was no big deal to go research these details about cities and organize them into a generation system then we would go do it. What really needs to happen is we find a GM who is a city planner in his day job and get him to consult.
I've noticed that most of Palladium's books are not well researched, and that is what this would require.
Nightmartree
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I've noticed that most of Palladium's books are not well researched, and that is what this would require.

And that is why I hesitate to put any kind of real world location in game, at least if your making it up you can make it all up with a few quick googles to make sure your not getting too crazy if you need to
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Nightmartree wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I've noticed that most of Palladium's books are not well researched, and that is what this would require.

And that is why I hesitate to put any kind of real world location in game, at least if your making it up you can make it all up with a few quick googles to make sure your not getting too crazy if you need to
I have never made a total city. I've only ever done areas such as neighborhoods and tend to flub the details of areas I have not mapped out. That is why I would really like guidelines on how to build a whole city.
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

A few folks created a neat open source / system neutral book that works well for super heroes and modern world games. I have adapted it for Fantasy setting as well. It is a book that works well for folks that want to try a few new things with their current game world. http://www.lulu.com/shop/richard-grzela ... 73889.html

I understand that they use the book in part for the pod cast http://strangecorpseposse.blogspot.ca/

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”