Looking for help with an updated equipment list...

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Looking for help with an updated equipment list...

Unread post by Glistam »

Barring the publication of the mythical Hardware Unlimited, how would or did you go about updating the Heroes Unlimited equipment list? In the game I'm currently running, I have a need for an updated equipment listing now, and I'm hoping the collective think-tank here can help. Thanks!
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Re: Looking for help with an updated equipment list...

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Equipment? Bah in my day you got a super suit and you Liked it!, none of these newfangled servos or "Plasma spread shot mutli blast mounted unmounted heavy blaster" nonsense, it was just a man and his polyester and the knowledge that the next few seconds may be his last as a mobster waved a tommy gun in his face. Not that WE used guns, no real heroes did it by hand and took pride in our work. Fisti cuffs and brawling separated the real hero from the pansies let me tell you. You knew who had your back too, and it sure wasn't those guys in suits. Always keep an eye on the suits lads, if they think the going is tough all you'll hear is "Mission Priorities" and "Plausible Deniability". But if you do what you feel is right you'll end up where you need to be, whether that the morgue, deep lock down or a retirement home...you? asked about Equipment? Bah in my day you got a super suit and you Liked it!, none of these newfangled servos or "Plasma spread shot mutli blast mounted unmounted heavy blaster" nonsense, it was just a man and his polyester and...

- Quote from a "Long time Palladium super"

I mostly use items from aliens or jury rig things that the player and GM both agree on being accessible in the expected tech level.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Best I can offer: https://www.google.com
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

The Beast wrote:Best I can offer: https://www.google.com

Hey, when I was playing HU Revised edition in high school, the Google machine would've been considered magic! :-D. Too funny........
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Yeah since HU is trapped in a quicksand pit of 80s tech, I would say your best means of getting up to date equipment would
be scrolling on Amazon and using any modern search engine on the internet. Remember using the world wide web for HU
Electrical Engineer is -5% on his Computer Operation skill :roll: . Now we have high end computer in our hands which was
unheard of in 1996 when HU 2nd written and published in 1997. Book needs a serious tech update which Hardward Unlimite
would have provided.
The Beast

Reagren Wright wrote:Yeah since HU is trapped in a quicksand pit of 80s tech, I would say your best means of getting up to date equipment would
be scrolling on Amazon and using any modern search engine on the internet. Remember using the world wide web for HU
Electrical Engineer is -5% on his Computer Operation skill
:roll: . Now we have high end computer in our hands which was
unheard of in 1996 when HU 2nd written and published in 1997. Book needs a serious tech update which Hardward Unlimite
would have provided.

You want to see something laughable? Go reread the entry for Long Distance Dim-mak in Mystic China and think about how useful its one special ability is.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

The Beast wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:Yeah since HU is trapped in a quicksand pit of 80s tech, I would say your best means of getting up to date equipment would
would have provided.

You want to see something laughable? Go reread the entry for Long Distance Dim-mak in Mystic China and think about how useful its one special ability is.

Wow laughable is an understatement. Power only work through telephone lines and wires. So
you want to kill someone you have to invite them over to your great grandmother house then
call him them using another land phone. Good luck. Just like Heroes, N&SS and Mystic China are
so dated that every aspect of them is like role playing in a time machine.
The Beast

Reagren Wright wrote:
The Beast wrote:
would have provided.

Wow laughable is an understatement. Power only work through telephone lines and wires. So
you want to kill someone you have to invite them over to your great grandmother house then
call him them using another land phone. Good luck. Just like Heroes, N&SS and Mystic China are
so dated that every aspect of them is like role playing in a time machine.

Going to your great grandmom's house might not help either. I pretty sure we've been slowly replacing coaxial with fiber optic for awhile now. I know MC says that's the case in some of the big cities, but wasn't that book written in '95? My 2nd printing says 2001. Best info I could find was that "experts" think we'll have fully replaced coaxial cable with fiber optics in the US by 2025. The rest I Googled was dealing with internet networks instead of phone networks. So it's likely now that you could replace "some of the big cities" with "all of the big cites, most of the other large cities, and some of the suburbs." I've also read that some areas are transitioning to VoIP networks so that's another monkey in the wrench of using that power to reach out and touch someone.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

If you are looking for something more near future you can always look at other games and comics for inspiration. Comics have vehicles from the Javelin to the Quinjet. Games like Shadowrun have lots of inspirational ideas for anything from drones to mini-guns.

I still tend to use the interwebs as a primary resource. Acoustic sensors that triangulate where gunfire comes from in a city, Israeli border patrol using self driving patrol vehicles, and binary triggers for rifles that give a semi automatic rifle something approaching a two shot burst without being fully auto are jsut a few tidbits I've read about in the last week or so.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Reagren Wright wrote:Remember using the world wide web for HU Electrical Engineer is -5% on his Computer Operation skill :roll:

I think my version of the book is different than yours - in my book the penalty only applies if trying to use the internet for free. Granted, that's hardly a difficult task today, but the widespread proliferation of free public wifi is definitely a more recent change in our world, and that makes this a penalty in the book I can actually understand and forgive.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”