hey what happened to NMI Black Vault?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Re: hey what happened to NMI Black Vault?

Unread post by zyanitevp »

NMI wrote:I've written a script that will run once a week and download the site to my Dropbox account. The site will not lose any data as far as I'm concerned.

Glad to have a positive outcome, and thanks to everyone who helped NMI out!!
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Looking forward to it's return.

I'm very curious to see the 'thousands' of powers and such.
Well, it's up. What's the verdict. You're awfully quiet over there.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Gryphon Chick wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Looking forward to it's return.

I'm very curious to see the 'thousands' of powers and such.
Well, it's up. What's the verdict. You're awfully quiet over there.

Quiet as I hadn't sat down to count the powers. *Chuckles* Yeah.

So I started counting today and there's going to be an issue. It seems many of the powers are cross listed. Which is fine, they appear in multiple categories so if you're looking for them in one place you might find them there. OR.. in the other place depending on where you look.

While counting through the majors I didn't actually READ each power. I just opened up each category and counted the powers listed. bam bam bam.

Thing is, in doing this I started to notice the double and triple listings. As I didn't read each power I have no idea how many appear in two, three or more categories. It started standing out when I noticed "10,000 Spoons" for the second or third time. Some how I doubt there are 2 or 3 individual and separate "10,000 spoon" powers. (Where Matter expulsion Coins, I know there are two different ones, as I wrote one of them.)

So that said there's a lot of doubles and triples. So with out listing out each and every power personally to reduce or erase redundancy it's hard to say exactly how many there are.

I can say that there's over 1,800 ENTRIES in the Major powers. With doubles and triples that may flux down dozens or more.

But with 1,800 entries, I'mma guess if I were to sit and count the minor powers, it'd likely break 2,000. Which would in effect put the count in 'thousands.'.

How much over I couldn't say, until each power is listed once and only once, the double, triple or more posting is going to inflate the count.

But yes, it does look that 'technically' there's very likely more than 2000 entries there.

(And that's with out touching some of the entries..... and if it SHOULD be a power or not. Again didn't read them all but just counting I saw some pretty stupid named stuff. lol )

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Thing is, in doing this I started to notice the double and triple listings.
Some are listed in multiple categories because they were hard to categorize into just one. Each variant of a power by a different author has its own page, noted by an additional character in the page name, such as a - or :. Variants of a power or major and minor versions written by a single author are listed on a single page, with page breaks inserted at the beginning of each version of the power.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:But with 1,800 entries, I'mma guess if I were to sit and count the minor powers, it'd likely break 2,000. Which would in effect put the count in 'thousands.'.
Which is what I estimated. And that is not even including the other materials posted to the site.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:(And that's with out touching some of the entries..... and if it SHOULD be a power or not. Again didn't read them all but just counting I saw some pretty stupid named stuff. lol )
Some of the names I have used for powers have been pretty silly. That in no way makes the powers "stupid".
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Thing is, in doing this I started to notice the double and triple listings.
Some are listed in multiple categories because they were hard to categorize into just one. Each variant of a power by a different author has its own page, noted by an additional character in the page name, such as a - or :. Variants of a power or major and minor versions written by a single author are listed on a single page, with page breaks inserted at the beginning of each version of the power.

Which is fine, but as I pointed out, and you stated again. Some powers are listed, two or three different times in different places. (Maybe more.) So if you have the same power in 4 categories, that's not 4 powers it's just 1.

With out going through and listing every single power alphabetically and then editing out the ones that appear two, three, four times, an accurate count isn't going to be possible. Hell just counting 1,800 powers by entry was onerous enough.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:But with 1,800 entries, I'mma guess if I were to sit and count the minor powers, it'd likely break 2,000. Which would in effect put the count in 'thousands.'.
Which is what I estimated. And that is not even including the other materials posted to the site.

Ehh technically "Over 2,000" is 'thousands' you made it sound like alot more. An accurate count will most likely put the number some where over 2,000 Once all the duplicates are redacted, but it's not going to be 5.. 8... 10,000 or anything.
2,000+ I'm sure, but not thousands and thousands of them.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:(And that's with out touching some of the entries..... and if it SHOULD be a power or not. Again didn't read them all but just counting I saw some pretty stupid named stuff. lol )
Some of the names I have used for powers have been pretty silly. That in no way makes the powers "stupid".

Trust me mate. Some of those powers were really stupid.

"Control Mimes"

"APS Sunscreen"

"Peanut Power"

"Bullet breath"

"Kookoo" I mean.. that one you have a hole in your head with 'hatches' and extend a little attack kookoo bird to sic on your enemies.

ehhh.... Some of um are stupid. I get it. Some people like silliness as a day off or something, but it's going to be real hard to try with a straight face to defend a char having his brain all cramed back into the back of his skull so a little door can open in his forehead and a kookoo bird (One that can fly faster than many heroes with flight powers. Thing starts off at 120mph. lol)) come out.

There's one for "Nitro NUT clusters" that explode with more power than the Major energy expulsion powers out of the book. Can do 120 damage to a 40 foot across circle from point of impact. That's twice as strong as a military grenade, from blowing up your nuts...

What would the count be if we took out stuff like Kookoo and APS sunscreen? Now. Not every power I find stupid all will think is stupid, but I think there's QUITE A FEW that most of us will agree on.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:as I pointed out, and you stated again. Some powers are listed, two or three different times in different places. (Maybe more.) So if you have the same power in 4 categories, that's not 4 powers it's just 1.

With out going through and listing every single power alphabetically and then editing out the ones that appear two, three, four times, an accurate count isn't going to be possible. Hell just counting 1,800 powers by entry was onerous enough.
I only keep count of the page I post, not how many links there are to said page. Why would you assume I would do that?

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Ehh technically "Over 2,000" is 'thousands' you made it sound like alot more. An accurate count will most likely put the number some where over 2,000 Once all the duplicates are redacted, but it's not going to be 5.. 8... 10,000 or anything.
I never said thousands and thousands. And it's called advertising. Of course I am going to make it sound like the site has a lot of powers.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:Trust me mate. Some of those powers were really stupid.

"Control Mimes"

"APS Sunscreen"

"Peanut Power"

"Bullet breath"

"Kookoo" I mean.. that one you have a hole in your head with 'hatches' and extend a little attack kookoo bird to sic on your enemies.

ehhh.... Some of um are stupid. I get it. Some people like silliness as a day off or something, but it's going to be real hard to try with a straight face to defend a char having his brain all crammed back into the back of his skull so a little door can open in his forehead and a kookoo bird (One that can fly faster than many heroes with flight powers. Thing starts off at 120mph. lol)) come out.
Wow, get a sense of humor.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:There's one for "Nitro NUT clusters" that explode with more power than the Major energy expulsion powers out of the book. Can do 120 damage to a 40 foot across circle from point of impact. That's twice as strong as a military grenade, from blowing up your nuts...
I admit there is a bit of a power creep going on.

Pepsi Jedi wrote:What would the count be if we took out stuff like Kookoo and APS sunscreen? Now. Not every power I find stupid all will think is stupid, but I think there's QUITE A FEW that most of us will agree on.
The Wiki collects all the powers posted to the New Powers thread that I have permission to post. If you don't like the powers, don't use them, but I am not going to start removing powers people don't like.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:as I pointed out, and you stated again. Some powers are listed, two or three different times in different places. (Maybe more.) So if you have the same power in 4 categories, that's not 4 powers it's just 1.

I only keep count of the page I post, not how many links there are to said page. Why would you assume I would do that?

I'm not. I'm just saying getting an -accurate- account of the numbers of powers would take a lot more effort than I'm willing to put in, but we -know- that due to some of the powers being reproduced in muliple categories that by counting all the entries our count is going to be inflated beyond what's actually there. :)

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Ehh technically "Over 2,000" is 'thousands' you made it sound like alot more. An accurate count will most likely put the number some where over 2,000 Once all the duplicates are redacted, but it's not going to be 5.. 8... 10,000 or anything.
I never said thousands and thousands. And it's called advertising. Of course I am going to make it sound like the site has a lot of powers.

Ahh ok. Advertising. *Grins*

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:Trust me mate. Some of those powers were really stupid.

"Control Mimes"

"APS Sunscreen"

"Peanut Power"

"Bullet breath"

ehhh.... Some of um are stupid. I get it. Some people like silliness as a day off or something, but it's going to be real hard to try with a straight face to defend a char having his brain all crammed back into the back of his skull so a little door can open in his forehead and a kookoo bird (One that can fly faster than many heroes with flight powers. Thing starts off at 120mph. lol)) come out.
Wow, get a sense of humor.

I have one. I even stated that I get it. Sometimes you want to play something silly and or stupid, as a day off a serious game or what have you, but you said that some of the names were silly but that in no way makes the powers stupid. I was countering with 'yeah, some of them -are- stupid. lol

Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Pepsi Jedi wrote:There's one for "Nitro NUT clusters" that explode with more power than the Major energy expulsion powers out of the book. Can do 120 damage to a 40 foot across circle from point of impact. That's twice as strong as a military grenade, from blowing up your nuts...
I admit there is a bit of a power creep going on.

It happens when one's blowing up their nuts I suppose

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:What would the count be if we took out stuff like Kookoo and APS sunscreen? Now. Not every power I find stupid all will think is stupid, but I think there's QUITE A FEW that most of us will agree on.
The Wiki collects all the powers posted to the New Powers thread that I have permission to post. If you don't like the powers, don't use them, but I am not going to start removing powers people don't like.

It's not about removing them or anything. It's just an aside, that the numbers given include such sillyness. And sillyness that I personally wouldn't count as legit powers. As they're jokes or such.

All in all I like having the site. I'm not talking crap about it.

I'd said earlier I didn't think there were thousands and thousands of powers.

It appears that there's at least 2 thousand. (More than I thought) but that number would reduce quite abit when one takes out the redundant ones and ones not serious.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I admit to the redundancy. People don't look to see what's already written before writing up their "original" idea. And do we really need every possible variant of teleportation possible? I like having options, some people like simpler choices.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

I don't mind two 'versions' of the same power.

I don't even mind the same power in multiple categories, if it fits. :) It's nice to find stuff when you go lookin' for it.

My only notation was that it throws a count off. Which in and of itself is not a big deal, unless you're looking for an accurate count.

I'm the guy that likes 10 versions of 'Energy Expulsion _____" if they're different and I love dozens of different APS.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I enjoy the variety of options present at the Black Vault Wiki. There are many powers there that would not work for my own game but I can see how they might appeal to others. I think it's easy enough to ignore powers you don't like.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Pepsi Jedi wrote:I don't mind two 'versions' of the same power.

I don't even mind the same power in multiple categories, if it fits. :) It's nice to find stuff when you go lookin' for it.

My only notation was that it throws a count off. Which in and of itself is not a big deal, unless you're looking for an accurate count.

I'm the guy that likes 10 versions of 'Energy Expulsion _____" if they're different and I love dozens of different APS.
They are much simpler to count if you count the links from the author pages. Sure you get some powers that were written by more than one person credited more than once, but that is far easier than trying to count them from the index pages.
I am glad you like dozens of different versions of powers. That is how I got to writing so many variants on a theme. I would try to rewrite powers with different elements to give a wider variety of options.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Glistam wrote:I enjoy the variety of options present at the Black Vault Wiki. There are many powers there that would not work for my own game but I can see how they might appeal to others. I think it's easy enough to ignore powers you don't like.
That was pretty much the consensus when I posed the question on the Facebook Black Vault Wiki page. Everyone prefers having a wide variety of options.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

oh is good to see it back.
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

There doesn't seem to be an option to create a user account on the Black Vault Wiki, and the link to the special forum on NMI's boards doesn't seem to go to a useful part of the board.

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Glistam wrote:There doesn't seem to be an option to create a user account on the Black Vault Wiki, and the link to the special forum on NMI's boards doesn't seem to go to a useful part of the board.
I don't know anything about that. Nimmy controls that. You should PM him with a request to join.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Glistam wrote:There doesn't seem to be an option to create a user account on the Black Vault Wiki, and the link to the special forum on NMI's boards doesn't seem to go to a useful part of the board.
I don't know anything about that. Nimmy controls that. You should PM him with a request to join.

Thanks.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”