APS Light and Personal Force Field

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

filo_clarke
Adventurer

APS Light and Personal Force Field

Unread post by filo_clarke »

So I have a player that has selected the major power APS Light, but he was concerned that he wouldn't be able to carry anything/anyone out of harms way if he needed to. As a result he took the minor power Personal Force Field. I had no problem with the choices until a question came up: What if he used his "Laser Flight" which states that "a body block does no damage but results in a shower of sparks" while his Personal Force Field is engaged? A body block travelling at 1600 km/h per level would be extremely distressing to the target. But while in APS Light form he doesn't have any mass. However, a Force Field must have some kind of "mass equivalent?", since force is determined, partly, by mass...?

This one has got me puzzled. By game rules a super speed character inflicts +4 damage per 20 mph, giving him a body block damage bonus of +200 per level. Granted this would destroy his Personal Force Field temporarily... but still! At later levels he could bring buildings down, or bash through tanks!

I was thinking of allowing only as much damage to be inflicted as his force field can withstand. Sort of a "transfer of force being limited by the integrity of his force field". His first level Force Field is about 50 SDC, and gains +10 per level... so that isn't too bad.

But I'd like to know what you guys think.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: APS Light and Personal Force Field

Unread post by Glistam »

First, APS: Light allows you to fly even when not transformed, so it doesn't seem like there was a need to add the minor power, though I think it's pretty thematically cool.

Your limitation seems reasonable.I'd also consider as a solution that the character just couldn't fly at those speeds while the force field is up. With speed restricted, I'd consider using the Sonic Flight or Rocket Fists powers for guidelines on high-speed ram damages.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

i would personally rule that, with his force field on, he would be limited to a rough top speed of 150-200 mph due to air resistance. Performance car manufacturers call this "aerodynamic speed limitation".
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would rule that when he turns to light for the jump to lightspeed... he also turns his force field into light.
It will flick back into substantiality when he 'lands' but it has no more mass than he does between locations.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Eli's method works but on a 'they both stay on and are the same' I'd think as soon as he flies more then a few inches at those speeds that he's looking at having blown through the SDC of his force field due to air friction.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I would rule that it is turned off when he is flying. It would break up at high speeds anyway.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

wyrmraker wrote:i would personally rule that, with his force field on, he would be limited to a rough top speed of 150-200 mph due to air resistance. Performance car manufacturers call this "aerodynamic speed limitation".

This would seem to be a well rounded answer.

1) The char took the force field to be able to carry things while light. So this would allow him to carry them at 'standard' flight speeds (Like flight winged or wingless)
2) It would prevent the 'abuse' of ramming someone at light speed for kinetic impact of dramatic porportions.

So it gives the char the ability to carry things as long as he's tooling around at "super hero flight speed' but it cuts the force field if he cranks it up past that limitation. So he can keep his fast flight, just can't carry/ram at that speed.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:i would personally rule that, with his force field on, he would be limited to a rough top speed of 150-200 mph due to air resistance. Performance car manufacturers call this "aerodynamic speed limitation".

This would seem to be a well rounded answer.

1) The char took the force field to be able to carry things while light. So this would allow him to carry them at 'standard' flight speeds (Like flight winged or wingless)
2) It would prevent the 'abuse' of ramming someone at light speed for kinetic impact of dramatic porportions.

So it gives the char the ability to carry things as long as he's tooling around at "super hero flight speed' but it cuts the force field if he cranks it up past that limitation. So he can keep his fast flight, just can't carry/ram at that speed.
I agree now that I look at it more sensibly. As long as the character is moving at lesser speeds, the force field would work but would not hold up at higher speeds.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

I really like this concept. Gives me a fun idea for energy beings and how they can interact with a physical solid world.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

For carrying things around as light Id take Swallowing Limbo from PU3 Combine those with Conduct electricity and you can stop a car and absorb someone as a ball of light, then let them back later and as far as they know they were abducted by aliens("Last thing I remember I was driving along and the car stopped working, then I saw a bright light and then it was hours later! I Swear!" ).
This would be most useful for geting someones parole/bail canceled. But also makes catching badguys easier...
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”