Superluminal Flight - passengers?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Regularguy
Adventurer

Superluminal Flight - passengers?

Unread post by Regularguy »

Not sure I get the intent, here: imagine a hero with Superluminal Flight, and imagine he's carrying people around while rocketing through outer space at the speed of light -- or thirteen times the speed of light, or whatever. I figure the hero is supposed to be just fine; what about the people being carried?

(Would it make a difference if, for example, one such passenger has Invulnerability and the other doesn't? Or what if one passenger has Superluminal Flight but isn't actively using it, due to being asleep?)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Superluminal Flight - passengers?

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I don't think the power was intended to be used that way. Other people would most likely not survive the experience of being carried at such speeds due to the need to breathe and what with being superheated from the friction and crushed by the pressure of moving that fast.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Yeah, but then it's pretty much an insta-kill effect, and HU doesn't seem big on those. (Though if you are right, then it still leaves my follow-up parenthetical: what about an Invulnerable character getting moved that fast? Or someone with a different power -- maybe the right APS?)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Again, I don't think that is what was intended. I would rule in my games that the power does not work if you try and carry someone else. But that is just me. I'm curious about what others would say in response to your question.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say, and this is my personal ruling here.
That not only can you not carry passengers, but the power will not work if you try it.

My logic here is that otherwise this power becomes pretty much an "I win button" power in several different ways. And my choices for those are to either disable the button or ban the power outright. In this case I simply choose to disable the button while still leaving the power as an available option for the players to use.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Or you travel and they just phase through you unharmed left where ever you started from. But I'd probably just go with it stopping you from traveling in the first place.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Regularguy wrote:Not sure I get the intent, here: imagine a hero with Superluminal Flight, and imagine he's carrying people around while rocketing through outer space at the speed of light -- or thirteen times the speed of light, or whatever. I figure the hero is supposed to be just fine; what about the people being carried?

(Would it make a difference if, for example, one such passenger has Invulnerability and the other doesn't? Or what if one passenger has Superluminal Flight but isn't actively using it, due to being asleep?)

Might require Techno-Form[he becomes a vehicle] and Bio-Aura[if they are inside him the aura should apply to them].
But by itself it's just useful for not inter-stellar flight, none of Palladiums 2Ed FTL stuff is. But world travel, going up and then landing elsewhere on the planet a few seconds, Or Moon travel.
Also see Swallowing Limbo PU 3.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”