Illusions Super Power

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Illusions Super Power

Unread post by 13eowulf »

So when saving vs illusions does that mean the character still sees the illusion, but knows it is fake, or they stop seeing it?

Evidence would seem to be the former, because those who save can then take actions to demonstrate it is false to others, which you cant really do if you still cant see it.

But if that is the case, then can Illusions, even if known to be false, create cover by which the caster can escape, or through which to launch a surprise attack?

For example if someone has both Illusion and Create Force Constructs power, they can create an illusion of an opponent moving to punch a character, if the character saves vs the illusion they may take no action vs the perceived illusion, however if the fist of that illusion is being reinforced by a force construct fist they they would be in for quite the surprise upon contact, or would they see the attack coming, and if so, how?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Illusions Super Power

Unread post by Glistam »

If they make their save they "see through the illusion."
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I think it would depend on if the illusion were based on psionics or magic. Psionic images put in one's head would disappear upon a save.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I think it would depend on if the illusion were based on psionics or magic. Psionic images put in one's head would disappear upon a save.

It is based on neither psionics nor magic, it is the Major Super Power from Power Unlimited 3 that I refer to.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Glistam wrote:If they make their save they "see through the illusion."

You can "see through" a person perpetrating a falsehood verbally, or through action or inaction. This does not mean anything visual, but is a collequal turn of phrase used often in situations of uncovering or recognizing deception, but not necessarily meaning one immediately ascertains the full real truth behind the deception. That phrase can be taken equally as metaphorical as well as literal. Hence my questions.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

13eowulf wrote:
Glistam wrote:If they make their save they "see through the illusion."

You can "see through" a person perpetrating a falsehood verbally, or through action or inaction. This does not mean anything visual, but is a collequal turn of phrase used often in situations of uncovering or recognizing deception, but not necessarily meaning one immediately ascertains the full real truth behind the deception. That phrase can be taken equally as metaphorical as well as literal. Hence my questions.

I choose to take it literal. That's all the answer I can give you that isn't just my opinion or ruling.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

13eowulf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I think it would depend on if the illusion were based on psionics or magic. Psionic images put in one's head would disappear upon a save.

It is based on neither psionics nor magic, it is the Major Super Power from Power Unlimited 3 that I refer to.
Then I would say they still see it, just know that it is an illusion. They would not be able to see past it to what was on the other side, though, so it could till be used to hide things.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would see it like the "Guard Dog Attack" in the 'Tomorrowland' movie where the girl notices the hologram does not leave any paw prints. And proceeds to ignore the "guard dog"

Of course that was just an ""illusion"" that involved the sense of sight. More complex illusions, involving more then just one sense, would be harder to "see through".
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”