Need Advice on a Century Station High School Campaign

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Need Advice on a Century Station High School Campaign

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

I'm running a Heroes Unlimited Campaign based out of the idea that all the heroes are members of the Waingroh High Schools Staff in Century Station (all three players are going to be staff members for the school).

Currently the plan is that they are fighting to help keep the school and immediate area around it clear of as much crime and drugs as they can.

The main threats are street and color gangs that operate in the area as well as the occasional super powered threat (more low to medium level stuff.) starting off with a dangerous new drug making its way into the area and the characters investigating to find its source (actually having the street gang making it using an old closed off science lab at the school itself to make the stuff for starters).

Once player is a mutant (shape shifting, adhesion, and one other (has not picked yet) , the second is a modified super solder (the super powers (but not the super solder abilities) are replaced with the Hardware: Weapon abilities) and the third is still picking (Likely between Symbiotic, Super Invention, Empowered, or Eugenics). They are all at this point looking to work in the maintenance department a janitors, grounds keepers, and maintenance personal (there headquarters is a small storage building they have access to based on their jobs that is not currently I use by the school, the only person at the school who knows their super heroes is their boss who is a retired hero himself and helped the characters get their jobs because he is a sucker for hard luck cases.)

Their are a few things I am trying to figure out.

1. Security at the school and how to best handle it(Waingroh is described as actually having security but no details are given, given the environment would it be a private firm (armed or not) or would the police themselves take responsibility for such matters)?

2. How hard should I push issues inside the school versus the surrounding area (Waingroh is described as one of the toughest schools in the country, what would the likely hood that one of the characters might have a weapon pulled on them while acting in their civilian role?) (beyond a plot point but rather to show the issues this school faces). Should I make random tables to try to show such issues for that matter?

3. Dose anyone know of a good place online to get blueprints for a high school (so far not impressed with what I am finding on google)?

4. Given the Waingroh district is noted for a higher percentage of mutants then other areas of the city, how would that reflect in the demographics of the school population?

5. Is their anything I should watch out for related to their adventuring environment (do to it being a highschool) that

7. Not sure about the main bad guy behind the drug Veil Breaker at this time (thinking about using the Creator from Century Station but was hoping to use him as a foil and possibly start a gang war between two groups selling superpowers in a bottle as it were The Creators Halcyon vs Whoever is producing this new Drug Veil Breaker ). Are their any good villains in ether the Century Station, Villains Unlimited or Gramercy Island books that would make a good mastermind for such a game? Looking for an over all villain for the first part of my campaign and I'm not sure if any of them would foot the bill (trying to design if I need to throw one together for this.) Any ideas?

6. The drug (known as the Veil breaker) is based around the idea that taking it opens your third eye but can drive a person insane with regular use (originally developed to try and activate psionic powers in people but the project was abandon after the Bloody Monday riots for being unstable and some how this gang got their hands on the formula?) Highly additive but can activate Psionic powers in a person.

8. The local gang leader in the school includes a 3rd level Mutant high school senior going to school there (5 minor abilities Supervision: Night vision, Mental Affinity, Extraordinary Physical Endurance, Energy Expulsion: Fire, and Impervious to Fire and Heat) who acts as a low level enforcer and dealer for the mastermind, is that to powerful for the group early on (the rest of his gang consists of about 25 other students (no powers but access to guns and light body armor) would that be too much for such a small group, ideal, or too little?

Thank you for your help on this matter and looking forward for any ideas on this topic.
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
Regularguy
Adventurer

Re: Need Advice on a Century Station High School Campaign

Unread post by Regularguy »

Jefram_denkar wrote:The local gang leader in the school includes a 3rd level Mutant high school senior going to school there (5 minor abilities Supervision: Night vision, Mental Affinity, Extraordinary Physical Endurance, Energy Expulsion: Fire, and Impervious to Fire and Heat) who acts as a low level enforcer and dealer for the mastermind, is that to powerful for the group early on (the rest of his gang consists of about 25 other students (no powers but access to guns and light body armor) would that be too much for such a small group, ideal, or too little?

Well, surely that'll hinge on the third teammate, right?

Like, if he's an Invulnerable guy with Animal Metamorphosis (Any) and Transfer/Possess, then he'd simply be immune to fire and bullets -- and that wouldn't even matter, if (a) he's already learning all sorts of stuff as one of the regular gang members or (b) he's innocuously gunning for the gangleader in tiny animal form -- and as soon as that gangleader's body starts doing whatever our hero wants, he's, what, ordering the rest of the gang around however you please? Getting himself arrested? Winding up confined to a mental hospital? Committing suicide?

(I, uh, don't know how dark the campaign is supposed to be.)

Heck, what if he has Energy Absorption and APS: Blood -- so, sure, he would be immune to fire and bullets in a physical confrontation -- but how is that relevant if he also has Mechano-Link? Such that, regardless of any programs or codes or defenses, he can examine any information on any database -- law-enforcement, espionage, corporate, military -- and can simply have any money or documents or clearances or reservations, since he can "completely reprogram" any computer just as effortlessly?

(I mean, you can challenge someone like that, but it's going to take more than 'some guys with guns and a dude who isn't bulletproof', given the overwhelming amount of resources he can throw at problems.)
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Blueprints for a school? Not these days, I'm afraid, due to security concerns..and asking local schools for their orientation maps would get you looked at funny.
Looking online for architectural floorplan proposals is a possibility, but again, there's a lot of worry about security these days.

Don't know anything about Waingroh, but if it's public, then security will be on the light side, with a few dedicated contract 'resource' officers who will call on the municipal police for backup for anything serious(typically, the resource officers'll carry a nightstick, mace, and a tazer as standard equipment) ...if a private academy, then it will be a more sophisticated and numerous security contingent, likely carrying what the average beat cop will be carrying on them, but no heavy artillery at hand.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Unread post by Hunterrose »

This site has a nice school layout: http://rpg2030.blogspot.com/
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

I ended up running the first game and it turned out rather well.

The player who was going to run the super-solder came up with a new concept and went with it. (a magic weapon colt .45 revolver with the spirit of an old west gun fighter (the weapon granted seeral bonuses and gave him access to the hardware weapons abilities.
Worked out better then expected.

The third player ended up with a super-invention (belt that when activated granted the abilities of Bio Armor, Impact resistance, superhuman strength and super bounce).

The entire group started 1 week before the beginning of the school year and ended up running into local gang trouble (which they kicked serious ass on.) they also ended up witnessing a battle between a couple of the centurions and a large monster (which to my surprised they stayed out of and only helped evacuate civilians from the area.

So far very happy with the results. and I even found a couple decent floor plans for the high school.
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Unread post by Hunterrose »

Congrats! I'm planning on doing a modified Terror on Route 65 using that HS map above.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”