Who wants 3E of Aliens Unlimited?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Who wants 3E of Aliens Unlimited?

Unread post by gaby »

I think it,s times to Updated Aliens Unlimited,s books,with all New art and New Info.

One will be On Aliens races and ther Planets.

One will be On Techs and Space Ships.

One will be On the powers like FAR and the others.

What do you think?
Razorwing
Hero

Re: Who wants 3E of Aliens Unlimited?

Unread post by Razorwing »

Before we get a 3rd Edition of Aliens Unlimited... wouldn't we need to get a 3rd Edition of Heroes Unlimited first?
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would like to see more HU books, about 10 or 20, before talking about another update for AU.

The only thing I can see that needs updating is the equipment list, and the skill programs (as in more and varying). That can be done with an equipment book…say a HUGMG2.

Then for galaxy games maybe a AUGMG, for it's updated equipment, 'space' skills, price lists in credits, exotic trade goods, updated/expanded space/starship const. tables from AUGG, etc…

Humm, I did 1..2..3…three of those in my Galaxy unlimited rifter submission.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I don't agree we need a third edition of Aliens Unlimited. It's already been updated to HU2 edition standards. If any current HU book needs a new edition, it's Villains Unlimited. Those enemies need to be officially updated to 2nd Edition. The fan project stickied in this forum did a good job, but it never should have been their job in the first place. Rather than update Aliens Unlimited, I'd rather see the Hardware Unlimited book get released.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I think they need to come out with more books for Aliens Unlimited, not update the rules which are fine as is.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

After Hardware Unlimited I would like to see the Antorian Galaxy book.
Then we could see something like AU2...with even more stuff.
The problem with just rehashing the same material is that... well its the same old material.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

My preference would be Hardware Unlimited, especially if it includes updated equipment, bionics, and robotics. Then either Magic Unlimited, Psionics Unlimited, or Organizations Unlimited (the last to include updated Special Training Heroes). Aliens Unlimited 3 is way down on my list.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Glistam wrote:I don't agree we need a third edition of Aliens Unlimited. It's already been updated to HU2 edition standards. If any current HU book needs a new edition, it's Villains Unlimited. Those enemies need to be officially updated to 2nd Edition. The fan project stickied in this forum did a good job, but it never should have been their job in the first place. Rather than update Aliens Unlimited, I'd rather see the Hardware Unlimited book get released.

It was my understanding that the 'HU:AU revised' is a HU2 edition.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Razorwing
Hero

Glistam wrote:If any current HU book needs a new edition, it's Villains Unlimited. Those enemies need to be officially updated to 2nd Edition.

I was under the impression that Villains Unlimited has already been revised to HU2. True, the villains more or less stayed the same (there really wasn't much updating that really needed to be done for most of the villains), though some of the Natural Psychic villains (like Damon Lazaris from the Fabricators Inc. section) seem to have been missed (he only has 9 psionic powers when he should have 26; 7 super, 19 from the three lesser categories).

That said, the NPCs in the Jury section contain hero categories from PU2... suggesting that this book was an attempt at bringing Villains Unlimited up to HU2 standards. The villains really don't need more powers than they already have as many are quite powerful already... and adding Psychic powers to the few Natural Psychics in the book (and even latent Psychics) isn't too difficult.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

eliakon wrote:After Hardware Unlimited I would like to see the Antorian Galaxy book.

I'm with Eliakon here, I'd much rather see an Atornian book come out instead of a new edition of Aliens Unlimited.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Razorwing wrote:Before we get a 3rd Edition of Aliens Unlimited... wouldn't we need to get a 3rd Edition of Heroes Unlimited first?

This.

Heroes Unlimited's rules are from the early 80s guys. The tech is from the late 70s. ANY and ALL Tech classes are severly limited due to this. More over ... well comics have come a long way since 1982.

We need an entire overhaul of the HU Game, first.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Razorwing wrote:Before we get a 3rd Edition of Aliens Unlimited... wouldn't we need to get a 3rd Edition of Heroes Unlimited first?

This.

Heroes Unlimited's rules are from the early 80s guys. The tech is from the late 70s. ANY and ALL Tech classes are severly limited due to this. More over ... well comics have come a long way since 1982.

The game could use a major overhaul, yes, and it would be nice for clarification on what some of the numbers are supposed to mean. What usually happens, however, is stuff gets cut and pasted from other games rather than rewriting of the rules.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Razorwing
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

This.

The game could use a major overhaul, yes, and it would be nice for clarification on what some of the numbers are supposed to mean. What usually happens, however, is stuff gets cut and pasted from other games rather than rewriting of the rules.

This is an unfortunate trend with many of Palladium's game lines. Just getting an updated equipment list would be an accomplishment. Hopefully the Hardware Unlimited sourcebook tackles that issue. To be honest, many of the prices for the top of the line items when the list was made is not too far off from prices of top of the line items in the same area now... just that our modern items are a lot more advanced (relatively speaking at least).

I remember my uncles spending a few hundred dollars on a Commador 64 (sp) back in the very early 80 that you would have to program every time you turned it on... yet today you can get a fairly decent home computer for not that much more (and a top of the line for a little beyond that). The computer I am using now is way better than my first one back in the 90s, but overall cost a similar amount as that one did. So while the items in these lists are quite dated, the overall costs for equivalent items (cars, equipment, computers) hasn't really changed a lot... we just get way more for the amount spent. A decent car in 2010 will cost about the same as a decent car did back in the 1980s... you just get more features like anti-lock breaks, power steering, air bags, powerful engine and even a killer sound system.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Razorwing wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

This.

This is an unfortunate trend with many of Palladium's game lines. Just getting an updated equipment list would be an accomplishment. Hopefully the Hardware Unlimited sourcebook tackles that issue. To be honest, many of the prices for the top of the line items when the list was made is not too far off from prices of top of the line items in the same area now... just that our modern items are a lot more advanced (relatively speaking at least).

I remember my uncles spending a few hundred dollars on a Commador 64 (sp) back in the very early 80 that you would have to program every time you turned it on... yet today you can get a fairly decent home computer for not that much more (and a top of the line for a little beyond that). The computer I am using now is way better than my first one back in the 90s, but overall cost a similar amount as that one did. So while the items in these lists are quite dated, the overall costs for equivalent items (cars, equipment, computers) hasn't really changed a lot... we just get way more for the amount spent. A decent car in 2010 will cost about the same as a decent car did back in the 1980s... you just get more features like anti-lock breaks, power steering, air bags, powerful engine and even a killer sound system.

well 2 things.

1) There's no actual Hardware unlimited book. it's been proposed, no fewer than three different fan written ones. Some of which claim were going to be published but never were. We've no indication that -any- of them are even a glimmer in kevin's eye. (or anything else HU related) There's no mention of any specific HU book on the upcoming list and hasn't been for literal years. Palladium put out two books this year and they've got at least 6 in the pipeline. Even if they cranked it back up to 4 a year, we still wouldn't have even a SLOT for a HU book for another 21 months, and even then, we'd very likely have heard about it by now.

2) The prices really are bad. At some point in one of these threads I showed how using the hardware category to build just a simple modern day $200 baby monitor, via HU rules would cost like $80,000

So.. yeah... tech has advanced in the last three and a half decades to be unrecognizable. Some of the stuff in there is still talking about tubes and transistors and toasters and stuff.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”