New Game Master Questions

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hunterrose
Wanderer

New Game Master Questions

Unread post by Hunterrose »

Hello All,
I recently dug out my Heroes Unlimited / TMNT Books from when I was a kid and have gathered a small group of friends together to do a couple play through and may be a campaign.
I've been re-acquainting myself with the basics and have a plan of attack. But this will be my first time playing (first time as GM!) in 30 years. Yikes!

I'd like to do quickie adventures with the players 1 on 1, leading to teams of 2, that will eventually result in a Super Team session with all 4 players.
I let the players pick their own Power Categories and we ended up with:
Wizard/Mage, Psychic, Ghost (primarily Psychic), Mutant/Psychic

So I unexpectedly ended up with a bunch of psychics on my hands and some magic, and although the Characters seem to be okay'ish at combat, none of them are Warriors perse. And none of them have any sort of a SUPERHUMAN physicality.

This has taken me by surprise a little, and I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on how to plan a psychic heavy game.
I'm wondering if I should invest in a Beyond the Supernatural book and skew the adventures that way. I'm also thinking of trying to do some more mystery styled adventures.

For the moment the Terror Bears Adventure from TMNT looks like it has the most potential. But is this the best route? Psychic vs. Psychic? My comfort zone of ROBOTS ROBOTS ROBOTS seems like it would be a poor match.

Additionally, does anyone have any recommendations for a good way to organize my Game Master Screen and/or Player Aids?
Generally speaking, I love BoardGameGeek for their Player Aids but there doesn't seem to be much for Palladium on that site.

Thank you!
-Hunter
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: New Game Master Questions

Unread post by Glistam »

This does sound like BTS style adventures are going to work better for your group. There is a lot of variety with Heroes Unlimited psychics though, so ultimately the powers they choose will direct a lot of your planning.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Makes can be superheroes too. Just look at Doctor Strange.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

And I wouldnt be too quick to rule out ROBOTS ROBOTS ROBOTS as they are less vulnerable to the mind bending that good psychics are prone to do... well built robot encounters are great puzzles for a squishy/non bashy party to figure out how to contend with.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Don't count the mages out, dowels life Superhuman Strength, Armor of Ithan, impervious to energy and others quickly even the odds.
As far as psychics, be careful a well played psionic can derail any adventure. Lol
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Hunterrose wrote:I let the players pick their own Power Categories and we ended up with:
Wizard/Mage, Psychic, Ghost (primarily Psychic), Mutant/Psychic

So I unexpectedly ended up with a bunch of psychics on my hands and some magic, and although the Characters seem to be okay'ish at combat, none of them are Warriors perse. And none of them have any sort of a SUPERHUMAN physicality.

What do they have, physically?

Like, does the Ghost who's 'primarily psychic' have the Intangibility power? Does the Mutant have a super power, or just psi stuff?

My comfort zone of ROBOTS ROBOTS ROBOTS seems like it would be a poor match.

Does the Mage have Energy Disruption? How much Telekinesis do the psychics have on tap? (Oh, and do they have Telemechanics?)
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Thank you all for your input. Regarding the Robots, I do want to do something with a robot or a cyborg that will force them to out think it. But these guys are fairly new to RPGs. I have one guy whos an old Pathfinder player, 2 Actors, and a WoW/LeagueOfLegends Player.

We've previously gotten together to play FIASCO. So that's where we're coming from, and I expect the game is likely going to be much more character based than combat.

I have the Century Station book and I'm going to try and place this a few years after the Bloody Monday, so Supers are slowly starting to trickle back in, but aren't really saturated yet. I've warned the Psychic characters that this city is disturbing to psychics. So one of the things I've asked the guys to do as they work on their backstories is to create 2 or 3 people they might interact with as NPCs. as well as coming up with a reason they're here in this city.

I'll get some stats up as soon as have them.

Thank you all again. :)
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Century Station's default setting is about 5 years after Bloody Monday, if memory serves.

RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

What sort of flavor is each player using for his character? By that I mean job, background, education etc. What sort of super team are you looking to build out of them following the adventure?

Let's say they are going to join forces to fight crime/evil, and are bankrolled by a government agency. As a sanctioned super team, or investigators they are going to have access to resources and tech that can make up for some of their weaknesses. This could allow for things like a boot camp for basic physical skills, and even things like higher end uniforms/armor to make up for physical weakness.

I've played games where most of the characters newly found their powers, and didn't have gear, money, resources, or even much in the way of HTH skills until they joined "the agency". This explains the hacktavist who becomes an agent with special powers, or the forensic science nut turned superhero learning to fight with his powers. The coming of age start can be fun.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Hunterrose
Wanderer

We've sort of stalled out due to Halloween, but are hoping to get together an play a quickie intro adventure this weekend.

As to what we're planning, I think my goal at the moment is equal parts super simple and very ambitious.
I'm hoping to meet with each player and do an individual adventure, then get in pairs, and then get the two pairs to meet for a team of four.
I already have one player who is uncertain as to whether or not he wants to be on a super team, and I told him that I'm okay with him breaking off (and even becoming a villain) at some point.
He's also the most experienced RPG'er so I'm not worried about him ruining the dynamic, and he'll be good at getting the other guys going, least to start with.

As for personalities - we have:
Ghost - no sure about full backstory, but he's Chinese and wants to tie to his culture. So I think I'm going to try to bring in Tattoo dragon guy at some point.
Mage/demigod - distrusting of other people, reclusive. He's already written a pretty deep backstory) I think I want to link him to Pender and the dueling
Mutant - idealistic youth (I'm going to try to get him into Grandma Beth's Mutant Underground stuff.
Psionic - Harboiled Detective. I am leaning heavily on the mini mysteries and the horror styled stuff for him.

I'm trying to tie a bunch of the canned adventures into the Century Station geography and link as many of the character's solo interactions as I can.

I'm also trying to write up an actual mystery using the tips from sites like Campaign Mastery. But it's going slowly, and I'm having some trouble with it.
But it won't be the first adventure so I have time. (actually if anyone would be willing to be a sounding board for my mystery, I'd love some advice).

On top of all that - I want to have recurring characters such as cops, reporters, gangs, and the Mayor and what not filter through so the environment feels lived in and full.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

There's lots of hooks in the Century Station book in the sections for the different areas of the city. Also check out Gramercy Island, there's a lot of tidbits hidden in the backstories of the inmates that would be cool to use (like The Workshop). The mutant stuff would work great in and around The Labrynth, and the Armageddon Unlimited stuff (with the Church of Unity) can tie into that well, too.

It seems like you have a good handle on things! This post from the Beyond The Supernatural section may be useful to you: THE HANDY DANDY RANDOM ADVENTURE GENERATOR.

EDIT: You may also find some inspiration in the Nightbane books

RockJock
Knight

Sounds like it is going to be a fun game. Having one PC being the bad guy, or at least sideways from the main group can be interesting, especially if they play at different times. It can also get complicated.
Hunterrose
Wanderer

So we've finally played two introductory Adventures. Schedules, Holidays and my own slowness has been the main reason for delays. I'm finding myself paralyzed with fear and being overwhelmed. Because I want to be able to guide these stories along organically. I'd really like to avoid the "you meet in a tavern..." trope that seems prevalent in Fantasy type games.

What I've ended up with is a about 15-20 scenarios from various Palladium (and non) books all laid out in a flowchart. Each one modified (or set to be modified) based on what the needs of the stories are. I'm finding that I'm most drawn to TMNT Stuff and I'm considering using these with more or less "animal" content as needed. For example, I can pretty easily swap out stats and powers to make a character like "Caesar" a super powered soldier type and less of a an ACTUAL wolverine.

I'm collecting a cast of NPCs that can be reused in various environments. Both the Ghost and the Demigod have written very detailed Character bios (which makes sense I suppose since they are obviously the history/mythology buffs).

Someone asked what kind of team are we hoping to be, I'm leaving that up to the players. They may not end up wanting to be a team at all.

Garret Wright: The Psychic Detective has returned to the City after years away. His Father is a powerful man in Century City and they had a massive falling out years ago. (His father is a modified Dr. Feral)

Liao: The Ghost's spirit is of an Ancient Chinese Warrior cursed to roam the earth until he can right a wrong from his past. He starts the game bound to his wooden headstone that has been traded around the world and eventually ended up being embedded in a "Kitschy Oriental Antique" dining room table. He's unable to leave the headstone/table with out aid from a powerful psychic (This is all character building and not Part of any Palladium Rule-set). This table was purchased by a Yuppie couple living in

Myr: The Demi-God is the Son/Daughter of Loki. Loki, as a woman, slept with their father. Myr spent their childhood being shunned by the humans and raised by wolves. The they ended up in tutelage with Loki for a few centuries before deciding that She was full of lies. Now Myr drifts around trying not to get involved with humans, but always finding themselves drawn to do good. They fear that their mother will find them and ruin any relationships they develop.

Hayden: A 17 year old Mutant Psychic Boy. Hayden ran away from home at the start of adolescence as his powers first manifested and joined a paramilitary group anti government group before finally hearing Beth's call to come to Century City.

I'm thinking I'd like to document the adventures here if that's okay (if there's a better section of the forum for that, then let me know).
Hunterrose
Wanderer

EPISODE 1 (Garrett and Liao)
This was a very simple and loose scenario with the sole purpose of introducing these two characters while teaching the mechanics of the game.

Antonia and Mario Ortiz are new money in Xenopon. Antonia (a cross between Delia Deetz from Beetlejuice and Jacqueline White from KimmySchmidt - complete with waterbottle gag) has recently renovated their condo and stocked it full of tacky nouvea furniture and "antiques" she found in a shop on LAST STREET.

Apparently, now the place is Haunted! Books and furniture are constantly moving, the cradenza where the television is, is constantly rejecting the items placed there. (Antonia is running out of excuses to Mario as to why they have to buy a new 60" HD Television AGAIN!) The maid wont come into the room anymore and it's almost time for Pilates? What's a beleaguered trophy wife to do?

She calls Mr. Wright the paranormal investigator of course!

Garrett arrives on the scene and pretty quickly realizes that the deco shelf above the television is where the concentration of paranormal energy is. Alternating between dodging thrown objects and negotiating with the spirit, Garret gets the poltergeist/haunting entity to Materialize and discuss the situation. As it turns out the spirit, Kathy murdered her husband in a fit of jealousy after catching him in bed with another woman. She beat him to death with a Clock, before killing herself. Her spirit has been trapped in a fit of jealousy inside the clock ever since.

For many years she had been content to simply occasionally knock stuff off shelves. So long as the clock occupied a shelf alone (she refuses to share her space) she's fine. In all the years, this is the first time she's has incredibly violent and destructive fits.

As Garrett tries to communicate with the spirit the heightened psychic energy awakens Liao. Which is kind of the (minor) twist of the story. The house isnt' haunted by ONE ghost, but TWO. And Kathy's been more active because she's not only sharing a shelf (with televisions, vases, books etc) but also sharing the home with another ghost.

Garrett has her telling her story and working through the trauma as Liao materializes and playing wonderfully in character tells Kathy that women should be respectful when speaking to men and that she needs to be submissive to her husband. He also noted that westerners always wear white to weddings which she should know is bad luck.

So now the whole room explodes with telekenetic energy! As Kathy attacks Liao.

Liao is able to take physical form for 5 hours per day. And while in physical form, he has a few super powers. Back in China he was a Tai Chi Master, and this manifests itself as CONTROL KINETIC ENERGY & CONTROL DENSITY.

Antonia pokes her head in to how it's going as the couch flies across the living room into the dining room. Antonia decides to go walk the dog instead.

Liao deflects the couch away from himself and table and it crashes into the Mini bar/island that divides the dining room and kitchen.

Garrett uses this opportunity to grab the clock and smashes it on the ground. He gets a bookshelf dropped on him for his efforts.

At this point all of Kathy's ISP was used up so she withdrew into the clock and the pieces lay on the floor twitching.

Liao grabs a flat wok (frying pan) and Garrett puts the pieces of the clock in it and then lights it.

Liao and Garrett now have some time to talk to each other in character and they decide that they might be able to be of help to each other.
Liao explains about the table, so Garrett chips a piece of the Headstone board off from underneath (so Antonia doesn't see) and slips it into his pocket.
They agree that this way Garret can summon Liao in the future. (ie - we don't have to start every adventure with Garret visiting Antonia, although that would also be hilarious)

He calls it the Splinter Phone.

Antonia comes back and pays Garrett and then decucts nearly as much as his fee for damage, and then dismisses him and goes off to call her interior decorator. Again.

The End!
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Is there anyone else that is cobbling together their campaign from various sources? For my campaign, I'm modifying adventures and HLS's from various sources both Palladium and not. Even stuff as straight forward as Dr. Feral is getting a facelift and has a crucial role in my game. BTW I'm a little unclear on something - are we allowed to talk about products from other companies on this forum?

Also if I wanted to document my team's adventures, is there a specific place for that?
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by parkhyun »

http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=142544

Here's a supplement I wrote up years ago after law school and before work started. I think all the adventures will work but specifically recommend Under the Razor, and after that Sickle Seeks Hammer.
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Thank you! I Love the Razor story, but it's definitely a later episode. I'm going to look at your suggestions in more depth as well.
RockJock
Knight

We've always melded, modified, and outright stole plot hooks, and pieces from different sources. You might read a sourcebook and think you know what is going to happen next, based on the HLS, but it rarely follows the book path.
Hunterrose
Wanderer

3rd play session was a success. We didn't really get very far into the adventure, but the players are starting to understand the mechanics, and get a hang of their characters. The session ended up on a really really cool Cliffhanger that involved a IRL knowledge check that payed off supremely. (is there a place I should post session summaries or is that not done?)

A great deal of the session was us laughing off topic, A LOT!

QUESTION: Perception checks/rolls - I read an article that was really great about how to employ perception checks that engage the characters. Loosely the writer was saying that the GM should never say "no, you don't find anything" and he gave examples of a bar with a woman and tough guy entering, and different ways to play off a failed perception roll that created suspense and drama for the players.

But for the life of me I can't find it now. I thought someone from these forums had posted the link, so I'm hoping you all will know what I'm talking about.

Thank you!
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Dumb n00b question here:
I'm running a modified LOOSE IN THE CITY for my players. We've basically finished section One. (which was run as a bit if a dungeon crawl - mostly as an introductory and tutorial for the new players)

But after that the book says - Several Days after the mall incident....

How do you guys typically run something like that? Do you just flash forward? Do you fill it with mini encounters?
Is there something I should be doing with Pender? Is there any value in having the characters just flounder a bit?

Currently I have preparations for an encounter at the Bank, as well as one at Pender's Mansion (this will lead into Trouble Down the Line eventually and I'll be introducing the other wizards (which include Ko and Chiang 6), and I have characters from the sewers and subway tunnels that can come asking for help that will draw the players back into the sewers.

But aside from new reports and an exposition dump - I don't really have anything for "Several Days after..."
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Also we will be recording our session this weekend. Mostly for our own reference, but we're open to the possibility of podcasting it.
RockJock
Knight

With our games it always depends on the situation. If I'm going to have people missing from a session I do side adventures for the players who can make it, and say the missing characters were busy with their day job, or family or what not.

Game summaries are fairly common, and I've known quite a few people who podcast games for their own reference, missing players reference, or just for outsiders to sort of enjoy the flow of the game.
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Thanks for the feedback, but I think you misunderstood my question. I'm not worried about missing players, but rather plot and pacing within the event itself.

So if I have all my players sitting there in front of me, and the next step in the adventure is: "A few days later..."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

That really depends on the players and how things look at that point. If they need something like time to recover, restock on supplies, etc then you state that they're taking care of those things then skip to the next event. If one of more of them has something specific to work on you take care of that, you don't really need to fill every day with something you can let them just skip over those days if they don't have anything serious to do. Such breaks are acceptable.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Hunterrose
Wanderer

We had a pretty successful adventure yesterday, 4 players + Gamemaster. Some characters meeting for the first time, and I have lots of seeds from their solo outings that were sprinkled in. So different characters had slightly different reactions to some events.

We have 5.5 hours worth of session recorded. But most of that is just us cracking each other up. (Our sessions are quite a bit looser than traditional RPG games tend to be)

I had it set up for at least 4 different paths they could feasibly take and I could kind of blend them depending on of the characters did something unexpected.

Of course they went right off the rails from the beginning which had me scrambling a bit.

We probably have about a 2 hour adventure in there LOL and great cliffhanger to end on, with the players arguing at the end as to whether they want/need to know more, or if they were all just too tired and hungry. So that's a good sign. 5 Hours is a lot for us to play a game. Although I know in some of my other experiences with more experienced players 5+ hours is not uncommon.

We went out to dinner and hung out a bit afterwards so all is good.

Not sure if I'll recap or post the recordings (edited of course) to youtube but all went well. ^_^

Thank you all for your help!
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Was the "Three Star Triad" (or any organized Chinese Mafia) from NS: Mystic China ever expounded on in any of the expansions or Rifters?
Hunterrose
Wanderer

We had a successful game 4 this weekend. I have Will Garret (Psychic Detective) and Liao (Taichi Ghost) doing a murder mystery. I'm using a modified GUMSHOE scenario as my base. The players made it about 3/4 through and we had a blast. Should be finishing this weekend.

One of the things I'm super excited about is that I'm building these adventures in a modular sort of way so I've already seeded Trouble Down the Line, Terror on Rural Route, Dr. Ferral, Dr. Ko - Alchemy, Chiang 6, and Squatter. Depending on the character interactions and which way the players want to go, I can have the next adventure up and ready to go. As we go through each adventure, character relationships to NPCs will continue to strengthen and hopefully pay off later on in unexpected ways.
Hunterrose
Wanderer

We are having a blast with this campaign. The summer slowed us down a bit, and different players have different time commitments, but so far my flowchart campaign is working great to create inter-PC connections and drama.

I've been mixing and matching Adventure components from:
Mutants and Masterminds, Champions, Dark Champions, Gumshoe, Mutant City Blues, SOB: Streets of Bedlam
I find the MCB stuff works really well for my Psychic Detective.(Not sure if I'm allowed to be more specific)

But now I have a question: Are there any good ALIEN INVASION style adventures you guys can recommend?
Planetfall from the GM-Guide is okay, but isn't quite a match for what I'm looking for.

Neither AU or AU:world guide has actual adventures listed. :(
Nightmartree
Adventurer
Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out

Unread post by Nightmartree »

Hunterrose wrote:But now I have a question: Are there any good ALIEN INVASION style adventures you guys can recommend?
Planetfall from the GM-Guide is okay, but isn't quite a match for what I'm looking for.

Neither AU or AU:world guide has actual adventures listed. :(

It may not be much help and isn't an actual "adventure" but maybe a mini-dark day as per nightbane? limit it to one neighborhood or town and you suddenly have "strange monsters from beyond our world" slipping through mirrors or some other medium. It seems like it would fit a sorta horror/mystery/supernatural element appealing to your psychics and detective angles. and the degree of infestation would effect the degree of danger vs how hard it is to detect.

though that may not be the kind of alien invasion your thinking of

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”