Hunter/Vigilante Options

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

Hunter/Vigilante Options

Unread post by RockJock »

Has anyone done any optional Special Skills, or similar trade outs for the Hunter/Vigilante? 1 and 2 just don't fit well for a character with a city background. In the past I've done an easy switch out for a N&SS martial art.

I was thinking a counter tracking ability to notice, and avoid security/street cams might be a good one. Sort of an urban prowl.

Just curious if anyone else has had this pop up, and what they did.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Hunter/Vigilante Options

Unread post by say652 »

I would allow the Alien Power Category to take this power category, let them Megahero or allow them Bionics.
RockJock
Knight

I wasn't thinking more powerful, just that animals traps, and hiding your scent works well for a Hunter, but not for a city Vigilante.

I have used a few cybernetics, or even eugenics as upgrades for the H/V.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

I have done an urban Hunter/Vigilante, and swapped out some skills like the tracking for the skills trailing and roadwise. I also have done the swap of skills for an N&S martial style. Work with your GM on the changes you think would make sense for your concept.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

A few years back i had one get captured by Splugorth and become a Tattoo Man. The player only played a few sessions but the modify ammo skill in Rifts is very impressive
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

The "Hunter/Vigilante" sucks as written in HU. It doesn't in any way emulate what it's 'supposed' to from comic books. You can guess what it's 'supposed' to build but it just in no way shape or form does so.

Thus I've created a few classes/power categories to replace the... well... truly horrid one from the book.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
RockJock
Knight

I'm trying to figure out how to make the class fit my game better instead of using other classes in a similar role. That is why I am trying to work on some special skill trade outs.

The Hunter/Vigilante is a class that I have only used sporadically, and never really as the urban head knocker type I would see them as. For that role I've used everything from Physical Training to Ancient Weapons Masters.

I have used a version of the Hunter as a sort of Lord of the Jungle type with an animal partner/familiar, and that was a fun character. Still not really the urban hunter type.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I like the Hunter power category. Sharpshooter isn't a skill to sleep on.
RockJock
Knight

Most of the time when I want what I would consider a Hunter/Vigilante I would be better off building a Weapons Expert, especially if I want a more urban based character. That is why I want to come up with some options instead of the Snare and Hide Scent special skills.

The only thing I've come up with are an urban prowl, streetwise, and maybe the ability to take a melee weapon specialty as a sort of "lighter" Ancient Weapons Expert ability. Just thinking out loud here.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Snares are very useful in an urban setting, and cover scent would get those pesky K9's or badguys Murder Dogs off your trail.
The Hunter is good as is.
RockJock
Knight

Say652, we just see it different. I want the option of more of a Vigilante, and less of a Hunter.

I can always use cybernetics, or equipment to up the power level of the class, but I'm trying not to do that.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I always played the PC as a Hunter.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

According the Mystic China they have the ability to sense Spirit Foxes lurking about in fox form somehow.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

say652 wrote:Snares are very useful in an urban setting, and cover scent would get those pesky K9's or badguys Murder Dogs off your trail.
The Hunter is good as is.

That's only important if your bad guys are tracking you by scent. Which, unless you have the ability to cover scent, seldom comes up. I mean it could happen sure but you know. Get in a car, on a bike or a train or something and you're good to go.

Hunters are whoa-fully under powered in a game where most options have 'super powers'. Their specialty stuff is just weak. As pointed out above it's much smarter to build a hardware character and go about the concept that way.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

Some good options:
1. Allow them to take an appropriate Lore: (Magic, Psychics, Superheroes, Technology, etc.)
2. Allow them to have a single appropriate minor power (Immune to Superpowers/Magic/Psionics, Defensive Will, Mechanical Awareness, or others)
3. Allow them to take the Vital Points skill from Splicers.
4. Really give them time and incentive to set up traps and snares. Let them build traps that would make a Dungeon Delver proud. After all, you give Hardware charcters time to build their devices, let the hunter build theirs.

To give you an idea of how a Hunter can take on a Powered Opponent, read/watch the battle of Usopp (Guy with a slingshot) vs. Luffy (who pummeled a god) from One Piece.
RockJock
Knight

The time to set up traps and all is great if you have an NPC defending the neighborhood, but not so well as part of a team, or away from their home turf.

The whole Lore approach can work, but a Super Sleuth is a better fit as far as being prepared for the enemy.

Minor powers as suggested can also work. As can minor cybernetics, or even psychics, or eugenics mods. I Would be more likely to have something like Iron Will, or other minor "trainable" power in place of the scent and/or trap abilities. Like I said, more an option the a trade out.

I haven't thought of vital strikes, but that would be a nice minor options. Goes with the martial art option.
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:The "Hunter/Vigilante" sucks as written in HU. It doesn't in any way emulate what it's 'supposed' to from comic books. You can guess what it's 'supposed' to build but it just in no way shape or form does so.

Thus I've created a few classes/power categories to replace the... well... truly horrid one from the book.

Have you posted these anywhere?
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I'd also let them buy a ninjas and superspies art...

Let it stack with a normal HTH skill for extra fun. That'd be a house rule since in HU2 there's probably something saying you can only have (or use) one skill at a time (unlike the Palladium RPG 1st/revised editions)
RockJock
Knight

N&SS style martial arts are something available to most characters in the games I play. The standard trade skills away method. I was thinking of the upgrade being an option instead of the scent/trap abilities without trading off the skills.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

ScottBernard wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:The "Hunter/Vigilante" sucks as written in HU. It doesn't in any way emulate what it's 'supposed' to from comic books. You can guess what it's 'supposed' to build but it just in no way shape or form does so.

Have you posted these anywhere?

One was worked up and posted on Jaymz site I believe.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”