Hate crimes definition

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: Hate crimes definition

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

<cheers for parkhyun>

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

The Artist Formerly wrote:Something to consider for all sides. Western world laws (IE US law) works really differently in the HU world, as they relate to the various super humans. From Villains Unlimited and Gramercy Island, we know that super human suspects and criminals can be denied access to legal consul, and certain trial rights. From Aliens Un's write up on SHOCK, the threat thresh hold for super humans is much higher before being able to claim self-defense (SHOCK goons can shoot at you, but so long as they can prove they were just shooting near you, they're still on solid legal ground). And we can see enough concern for super human civil rights that the group the Jury had to take things into their own hand to make sure that heroes who lose it or go rouge are dealt with where normal human laws don't apply.

Gramercy Island has several things that in it own text are Illegally done but word doesn't get out about it. That said assuming not radical shifts in how rule of Law develops in the USA in HU, I don't see how some aspects can work as presented in the books. While I personally very on the Freedom side of thing [Blame Star Trek: The Next Generation] I still feel that HU must work in a field of consistent Law especially in the Vein of Constitutional Law and rights.
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I just thought this might be worth a mention in this thread...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sa ... spartanntp

Spoiler:
Sophia, an intelligent humanoid robot, has been granted citizenship in Saudi Arabia. It’s the first country in the world to give a bot the same status reserved for humans.
Sophia was awarded the citizenship while on stage at the Future Investment Initiative in Riyadh.
“I am very honored and proud for this unique distinction,” Sophia told the audience during her presentation, which was moderated by CNBC Squawk Box co-anchor and New York Times columnist Andrew Ross Sorkin. “This is historical to be the first robot in the world to be recognized with a citizenship.”
The robot was created by David Hanson, the founder of Hong Kong-based Hanson Robotics, who is known for creating robots that look and act like humans. Sophia was created to look like Audrey Hepburn.
While on stage, Sophia made light of the concerns among some that AI robots could be an existential threat to humans. At one point, she made fun of tech billionaire Elon Musk, who has repeatedly warned that AI could be a threat to humans.

While this grant may have been a publicity stunt and a gimmick...
...it still happened.
Which means that there is now a legal precedent for at least the concept of AI rights since there is now an AI (AI comes on a sliding scale, while it is not full human level intelligence it is still AI) that IS legally a citizen. And therefor has rights.

Just an interesting thought. (And yes, I know this is in our world in 2017 and not the HU world... but if the cruder AIs of our world can get this done then imagine what the more advanced ones of HU could do. Or if this had happened earlier... or...)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Interesting. I wonder if they'll allow it to drive a car like they allow other female citizens in Saudi Arabia to drive. Oh, wait, nevermind. It'll have to wait until June.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

eliakon wrote:I just thought this might be worth a mention in this thread...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sa ... spartanntp

Spoiler:
Sophia, an intelligent humanoid robot, has been granted citizenship in Saudi Arabia. It’s the first country in the world to give a bot the same status reserved for humans.
Sophia was awarded the citizenship while on stage at the Future Investment Initiative in Riyadh.
“I am very honored and proud for this unique distinction,” Sophia told the audience during her presentation, which was moderated by CNBC Squawk Box co-anchor and New York Times columnist Andrew Ross Sorkin. “This is historical to be the first robot in the world to be recognized with a citizenship.”
The robot was created by David Hanson, the founder of Hong Kong-based Hanson Robotics, who is known for creating robots that look and act like humans. Sophia was created to look like Audrey Hepburn.
While on stage, Sophia made light of the concerns among some that AI robots could be an existential threat to humans. At one point, she made fun of tech billionaire Elon Musk, who has repeatedly warned that AI could be a threat to humans.

While this grant may have been a publicity stunt and a gimmick...
...it still happened.
Which means that there is now a legal precedent for at least the concept of AI rights since there is now an AI (AI comes on a sliding scale, while it is not full human level intelligence it is still AI) that IS legally a citizen. And therefor has rights.

Just an interesting thought. (And yes, I know this is in our world in 2017 and not the HU world... but if the cruder AIs of our world can get this done then imagine what the more advanced ones of HU could do. Or if this had happened earlier... or...)

I'm with Jack on this one. Not only is it citizenship as a publicity stunt, it's a publicity stunt in a country where citizenship really conveys no rights. Don't really see this as a trend.

As for the OP is there anything specific listed about crimes involving aliens or super humans? I thought I remember a listing of crimes in one of the books or maybe a rifter article.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:It would definitely be something I would address in-game. One side would argue against it since it is easier to control and combat aliens if you don't give them equal rights. The other would argue that they should have equal rights as sentient species. There would always be those arguing that aliens cannot be considered sentient, and so on and so forth.

As far as arguing sentience. If an alien is able to communicate concepts and argue that they have the capacity to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively, which is a definition of sentience, in an age where that definition is accepted then one can not argue one is going on in another's head. They can deny it but they can not make a resonable argument against it.

Just to nitpick, [regular]dogs are sentient, what you mean is Sapient[for mutant dogs].
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”