SDC restoration for Auras and others

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

SDC restoration for Auras and others

Unread post by Axelmania »

When bonus SDC is added to a character directly it's simple enough, you heal as normal unless you have an enhanced healing ability.

When SDC is added through a separate pool that isn't your body, I'm not sure how it works unless you're told how much it is though.

For the 'force field' abilities, regeneration of the SDC is made clear. For the minor 'Personal Force Field' (Powers Unlimited 36) it's 1 per minute (60 per hour, 1440 per day) and for the major 'Create Force Field' (Heroes Unlimited 2nd edition page 271) it's 3 per minute or (instead of 180) 200 per hour, 4800 per day.

Bio-Armor (HU2 page 254) gives a rough guideline of being able to make partial in 8 hours, full SDC in 24 hours, if it is destroyed. You'd think that should also apply even if it wasn't destroyed but I'm not sure.

There doesn't appear to be a regeneration rate for the two major 'Aura' powers though. Force Aura (HU2 page 273) and Totem Energy Aura (Powers Unlimited 85) don't list restoration rates for their SDC fields.

This is probably something answered somewhere in an errata or Rifter but I can't recall where. I'd like to pencil it in if anyone knows an answer.

I think I recall something about APS powers' SDC regenerating at 2D6 per hour, which I guess I could apply to Bio-Armor, even though 48D6 is 288 at best, which Bio Armor's Full SDC would surpass at level 5, so it ought to be higher unless it's somehow easier for the mutant to re-create bio-armor from scratch than to repair it. In that case I could see characters purposefully destroying their own armor if it was very low to speed up getting to full SDC during times they don't expect combat.

Are there any powers that might plausibly repair Aura SDC? I was thinking maybe Power Touch though I don't know whether to consider it living (3 power points per 2 SDC) or inanimate (3 power points per 1 SDC) or if it's targetable at all.

This is also a concern extended to the minor power 'Flying Force Disc' on Powers Unlimited page 28. PEx10 is going to average at least 100 SDC for most people, higher with physical skills or other powers that boost PE (thematically this would fit with someone who also had Create Force Field and/or Create Force constructs)

This doesn't list a regeneration rate for the SDC... but then, it only takes an action to create the disc and there appear to be no restrictions surrounding its recreation. It's even designed to be thrown as an attack if you don't want to use it as a vehicle.

It has limitations in use as a barrier which Create Force Field doesn't, in that it MUST be a circular (a disc) but that is still pretty useful. A 5 foot diameter circle could impede a narrow hallway, at second level a 10 foot one could certainly go wall to wall or ceiling to ceiling, depending on which is more.

I don't think it could completely impede a non-circular hallway so someone walking up to the disc could shoot through the gaps between the circle and the 4 corners of the hallway, but it would still require doing that. It might even be possible to crawl through these gaps, but it would slow down a mob.

There are also some things which are circular passageways which would have no gaps. Even if the GM rules (and this is probably a good balance) that the disc must remain level/horizantal (preventing the 'wall' strategy) it could for example be used to block a man-hole cover if a bunch of sewer zombies were chasing you and you and your allies fled to the street.

No matter how much they hit it, but given that you can re-create it with 1 action and maintain it for a 2nd action, they couldn't wail on it fast enough to get through, and you could maintain it from 300 feet away, enough that you could find cover within a building or something.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Re: SDC restoration for Auras and others

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Bio-Armor regens at 4d6 per 10 minutes as an addendum in newer editions of HU2E (6th printing, 2006 for mine) but older editions like my first print don't note that. It's a little weird because assuming average rolls of 14 SDC per 10 minutes (2 threes and 2 fours), you'd have 84 SDC per hour, so you'd be full health in 6 hours, even at 15 level (480 SDC at 15, 84x6=504, you'd be full health in 5 hours and 50 minutes assuming average rolls the whole way). So I read that as you regen SDC so long as you haven't been knocked out of armored form. If you lose your armored form, you have to wait 8 hours to regen the light armor, and 24 hours for the full suit.

I would extrapolate the same concepts to other aura style SDC bumps that aren't your body and don't have their own recovery notes.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”