Starting money for Characters above first Level

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MiiChl
Newb

Starting money for Characters above first Level

Unread post by MiiChl »

so, i'm about to enter into my first palladium game. my GM and I both love and he's been wanting me to try HU, so yay! I've had a concept in mind for a few years, an established hero whose been active for 7 years. becasue of how long she's been active, my gm had me roll a dice to determine her level, and it came out level 4. i got most of it done, but i'm on equipment and can't find the rules for characters stating above level 1. i got the life savings and the random dice roll but can't find for higher. if anyone knows where to look, please help. :?
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Starting money for Characters above first Level

Unread post by LeeNapier »

You and your GM need to think about your character's day job, and living expenses, and what percentage of their after-tax pay they could reasonably save in the amount of time it took to get to 4th level. HU is a game unlike most, in that "loot" from defeated villains doesn't often enter into play, so any money must be from more mundane sources (usually).
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The HUGMG has salaries for various occupations. You cound set a percentage of that as savings per level. Maybe with a disposition modifier.

Honestly though, I'd just try to figure out what equipment makes sense for an established crime fighter of the character’s type to have and ask the GM if I can have it. And suggest that the character be part of a team or agency to justify the resources if the character’s day job couldn't cover them.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

not to sabotage your pay, but I have made forth level in under 1 month. though I did gamed for like 30 hours on the weekend, with 4-5 GMs who gave new meaning to the term cooperative gaming (we would go though 1 "subplot/short adventure" in between 2 and 5 hours, and jump into another GM's adventure. Finish about 5-10 subplots then take on a BIG PLAYER boss 40% of the time we would underestimate their abilities.)

5 hours on Friday, 15 hours on Saturday, and 10 hours on Sunday, on a regular basis. but we had a great group dynamic.
MiiChl
Newb

Unread post by MiiChl »

thank you everyone for your thoughts. i'm going to show him this thread and we can work from there. the HUGMG is a great suggestion :D
LeeNapier
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by LeeNapier »

Thinking about this, I think it would also be totally reasonable for the GM to allow successful Business & Finance rolls to increase the monthly amount by a set percentage (different for scholastic and secondary versions of the skill), as long as failed rolls also decrease that monthly amount by a similar percentage - to represent successful or failed investments.

EDIT to add: A GM could also allow a character to use skill rolls (a certain number per day, or per week) to establish "job performance" - which the GM could use to give raises - or to have the character lose their job after a certain number of failed rolls. :twisted:

But then we get into some Peter Parkering. (A new term I just coined wherein RPG characters get bogged down by real-world concerns that interfere with super-heroics)

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”