Powers and power stunts

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrTwist
Hero

Powers and power stunts

Unread post by MrTwist »

I think I asked this once before, but a very long time ago, but does anyone use house rules for power stunts in their games? What I mean by power stunts is modifications or personalizations to powers, acquired through role playing or every x levels. Like maybe things as simple as increasing the damage by one die or the range by an experience level's worth, up to more serious/complicated stuff like Invisibility also extending to more of the EM spectrum and masking your infrared signature or even allow you to change your powers between activations of Multiple Lives.

When I first started playing Heroes I had a bit of history playing another RPG where you could gain power stunts through play and good dice rolls. These were usually non-standard uses of your power that did something cool, sort of like the various sub powers listed under other powers. So it would be like a power that had 5 sub powers but you came up with a very clever 6th sub power that you worked hard on being able to perform until it became a normal part of your repertoire. It's somewhat analogous to how characters in the comics will train and advance themselves in how to best utilize their own powers, coming up with novel uses that the writers need them to be able to do to advance a story but ends up becoming a frequently used ability because of how cool/useful it is. For example, letting a player create a power stunt where he can use Matter Expulsion: Metal to make an exoskeleton with large wings enabling them to glide short distances. When I refer to power stunts, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Re: Powers and power stunts

Unread post by SittingBull »

I allow flexibility in powers and as heroes level up either can develop new power or alter one they have.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Re: Powers and power stunts

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

MrTwist wrote:I think I asked this once before, but a very long time ago, but does anyone use house rules for power stunts in their games? What I mean by power stunts is modifications or personalizations to powers, acquired through role playing or every x levels. Like maybe things as simple as increasing the damage by one die or the range by an experience level's worth, up to more serious/complicated stuff like Invisibility also extending to more of the EM spectrum and masking your infrared signature or even allow you to change your powers between activations of Multiple Lives.

When I first started playing Heroes I had a bit of history playing another RPG where you could gain power stunts through play and good dice rolls. These were usually non-standard uses of your power that did something cool, sort of like the various sub powers listed under other powers. So it would be like a power that had 5 sub powers but you came up with a very clever 6th sub power that you worked hard on being able to perform until it became a normal part of your repertoire. It's somewhat analogous to how characters in the comics will train and advance themselves in how to best utilize their own powers, coming up with novel uses that the writers need them to be able to do to advance a story but ends up becoming a frequently used ability because of how cool/useful it is. For example, letting a player create a power stunt where he can use Matter Expulsion: Metal to make an exoskeleton with large wings enabling them to glide short distances. When I refer to power stunts, this is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Yes! All the time. Special attacks or defenses, using abilities in ways they aren't mentioned or meant to be used, combining two or more of your powers for special or additional effects and several other applications!
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”