PB above 30/Awe Factor

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ted Smythe
Rifter® Contributer

PB above 30/Awe Factor

Unread post by Ted Smythe »

I have a Palladium Fantasy world Elf player character in my campaign who has inherited a teammate's greatest rune sword. Among other things, the sword creates an aura of light and power around its wielder. In game terms this equals a +5 bonus to PB which, for the character inheriting the weapon, would give her a PB of 32. I know the maximum is 30, but I still want to do something in game that reflects the sheer awesomeness that the blade will give her. I'm trying to decide, should I give her an awe factor (which is not currently one of the swords abilities) or should I give her the bonuses for a PB 32? This would result in her being more than 96% likely to charm or impress others.

Thoughts?
Ted Smythe
Adventurer-at-large
Check out my music at http://www.soundclick.com/aaroncorley
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: PB above 30/Awe Factor

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The HU2 MB says that the C/I % stops at 92%. Except for Gods, aliens, and rare cases.

I would not give the Elf an Awe factor, and following the pattern trends to a stat bonus for 32 PB would at most be 96%,,, not "more than".
Thinking about it I might just give only a +1% for each point over 30, maxing out at 98%.

However, you could change the PB stat bonus into an AF of 5. With the caveat being, that it is only applies only when the sword is drawn and can be seen.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The second edition HU2 revised has a list for what attributes over 30 do. Having a PB over 30 gives bonuses to most social skills (performance, public speaking, ect). that seems reasonable to me.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Dakchronos
Wanderer

Unread post by Dakchronos »

Wasn't that material found in Rifts Ultimate and other Core books written after?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nekira Sudacne wrote:The second edition HU2 revised has a list for what attributes over 30 do. Having a PB over 30 gives bonuses to most social skills (performance, public speaking, ect). that seems reasonable to me.

NS I the information I stated was the HU2 PB above 30 text said. Which boils down to: there Are Not Any Bonuses listed for a PB more then 30.

Yes, the RUE 30+ text does give skill bonuses for a PB greater then 30. However, that is only canon for the Rifts setting. It would require a GM to import them into the HU2 setting.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

One thing that is easy to overlook...
Since the abilities will basically only work on NPCs anyway... it is easy to just simply have everyone that the character meets fawn over them as a lusting sycophant ANYWAY. Its not like you need to roll the dice for reactions in most cases. Just assume that everyone lusts after this person and go from there.
I would also remind them that they are more beautiful than Helen of Troy :eek:
And then remind them of what happened the last time someone was that pretty... and that the gods are real... :?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The HU2 MB says that the C/I % stops at 92%. Except for Gods, aliens, and rare cases.

I would not give the Elf an Awe factor, and following the pattern trends to a stat bonus for 32 PB would at most be 96%,,, not "more than".
Thinking about it I might just give only a +1% for each point over 30, maxing out at 98%.

However, you could change the PB stat bonus into an AF of 5. With the caveat being, that it is only applies only when the sword is drawn and can be seen.

And an Elf doesn't qualify as "alien"? They aren't human after all. ;)

Ted Smythe wrote: Among other things, the sword creates an aura of light and power around its wielder. In game terms this equals a +5 bonus to PB which, for the character inheriting the weapon, would give her a PB of 32. I know the maximum is 30, but I still want to do something in game that reflects the sheer awesomeness that the blade will give her. I'm trying to decide, should I give her an awe factor (which is not currently one of the swords abilities) or should I give her the bonuses for a PB 32? This would result in her being more than 96% likely to charm or impress others.

Personally I'd classify the resulting PB as "granting" Extra-Ordinary Attribute: P.B Minor Super Power for all practical purposes. Basically when the sword is "empowering" the wielder (in their hand/possession) they get all the stuff from the previously mention Super Power with the exception of the PB Bonus Roll (since you have that covered).

An alternative would be to give them the "Horror Factor" minor power, but use in terms of Awe Factor.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

ShadowLogan wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The HU2 MB says that the C/I % stops at 92%. Except for Gods, aliens, and rare cases.

And an Elf doesn't qualify as "alien"? They aren't human after all. ;)
…snip

Saying what the HU2 MB said.
Then stating some opinionated options as if giving a GM non-munchkin options to choose from.

Another opinion about the PB bonuses: the PB 30+ skills bonuses in RUE should start at 20+.
jlm2924
D-Bee
Comment: "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Unread post by jlm2924 »

Let's first look at the rules: Reference Heroes Unlimited Pg. 15, Attributes beyond 30.

The rule says:

I.Q., M.E., M.A. and P.B. are normally maxed out at 30 for mortals. Bonuses do not increase should the character have a number higher than 30; the one exception might be a god and aliens (which are clearly not normal humans). This will be extremely rare, but not impossible. Use your discretion.

Having looked at that, this essentially means to ask your GM what they will allow and if this applies. As for the bonuses they stop at 30, even if the attribute is higher. So 92% Charm/Impress is the book maximum, try to remember that beauty is subjective anyways. Beauty doesn't always mean 'sexual attractiveness', I personally love marble sculptures and I find many of them very beautiful, while there are those that are "attracted" as such (fetishes not withstanding).

I have an interesting house rule for those people that have characters with a P.B. over 30 (meaning 31+, assuming they qualify example: Demigod (Powers Unlimited 2), Aliens, Elves, Supernatural Beings, etc.). I use the same "bonus" calculation method as P.P. (max of 30 or +8) and as such I assign them an Awe Factor of 8 (this is well below the major power and they don't receive any bonuses other that the Awe Factor itself).

This has a fun in game effect on normal people (especially if the character is female). Traffic stops 40% of the time, people gawk and stare, they snap photos with their cell phones, and the hero is easily recognized. This emphasizes the idea of 'secret identity' and it makes the PC's be a lot more careful about whether or not that wear a mask or not. Plus it's always fun to have the villain become obsessed with that particular PC and then spend their time tracking them down!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

RUE Pg.284 has additional rules for attributes above 30. rather than continue the chart, it grants additional bonuses in addition to the chart.

for PB, it gives a small skill bonus to Cardsharp, Concealment, Palming, Pick Pockets, Performance, Public speaking. a larger bonus to Seduction, and a penalty to prowl. in all cases meant to reflect people noticing the extreme beauty.. with prowl your high PB means people are more likely to notice you, while the rest reflect the high PB distracting people as you use the skill.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Just out of being a cat I looked at the Seduction skill and the way it is worded, the 30+ PB bonus is in addition to the bonus the char already gets for having a high PB.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”