Spell Magic and Super Powers

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Spell Magic and Super Powers

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I'm sure there are more possibilities but I was talking with a friend about various super powers and heroes and my friend talked about the spell "Carpet of Adhesion" one of his favorite crowd control powers and if it would work if the person could go intangible. Based on the fact that even if you save you get stuck for 2d6 melee rounds I'm leaning to no, but than again they're going intangible so shouldn't they be able to get free or since it's magic does that really even matter?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Spell Magic and Super Powers

Unread post by The Beast »

Both versions of WB1 state that vampires can escape CoA by turning to mist. I don't see much of a difference here. I will add though that if the spell is cast on the person instead of the ground then the moment they reform they're stuck anew.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

But that's another magical power at least, intangibility mostly depending on the background isn't necessarily and the vampire power lists that. (Which makes sense because there is more magic in Rifts, but still.)

Daniel Stoker
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

True, but in the power's case you're actually breaking one of the laws of physics. A vampire turning to mist would technically still be in contact with the CoA. Personally I see no issue with letting this power, Teleport, and/or Vibration escape the carpet by using their powers.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Well in MOST powers you're breaking a law of physics or 2 to get them to work, but I see your point and it's what I argued too, I'm just split on this depending on how I look at it.

Daniel Stoker
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

It depends on how powerful you want the spell to be really.
As written, technically this spell is one of the single most powerful spells in the game capable of stopping anyone no matter what with no way to prevent it.
If you want a super CC spell, say no. If you want to make it slightly less powerful let it be escaped.
Personally in my games I run with "saves mean your unaffected" and "if you teleport/phase/turn to mist/what ever" your free. This of course works both ways which my players start appreciating when they get hit by the spell.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I'd say going intangible would give nothing for the spell to latch on to.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”