Ancient Master Expanded Powers List

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

Ancient Master Expanded Powers List

Unread post by RockJock »

The Ancient Master has a short list of minor powers available to the class in the main HU book. Below is a quick list of extra powers I feel fit into the power category, and give a little extended flavor. This is not meant to be an all inclusive list, but my quick expansion.

PU3
Without Sustenance
Knock Back
Focused Touch
Harmonic Resonance

PU1
Abnormal Energy Sense
Adrenaline Surge
Danger Sense
Enhanced Leaping
Physical Perfection
Healing Power
Heightened Sense of Balance
Heightened Sense of Awareness
Lightning Reflexes
Living Anatomy
Longevity
Power Weapon
Physical Perfection
Targeting

HU
Radar
Mental Stun
Power Channeling
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: Ancient Master Expanded Powers List

Unread post by say652 »

I'd let them swap a Master power for super power punch also.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

A fairly nice list, although I don't think Radar is suited to that, you'd need a Sonar version of it to be more thematically appropriate.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
RockJock
Knight

I stick with Radar Sense. I just went through comic martial artist in my head, and some of the abilities they show. I came up with several characters, and no I don't mean DD who had a Radar/Sonar/Presence sense ability. They had different originals and specifics. I would definitely say a bat style echolocation/sonar could be added to the list.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

RockJock wrote:I stick with Radar Sense. I just went through comic martial artist in my head, and some of the abilities they show. I came up with several characters, and no I don't mean DD who had a Radar/Sonar/Presence sense ability. They had different originals and specifics. I would definitely say a bat style echolocation/sonar could be added to the list.

I'm not aware of any that developed an actual Radar super-power from training, Sonar style yes but not Radar (and Daredevil's effectively a minor-powered mutant like Spider-Man for why he has that EM Radar ability).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
RockJock
Knight

I would count Shroud, Libra, Gorgon, Ikari as having something similar to a radar sense. The exact details are slightly different, but workout similarly to me. Use Sonar if you want to, but the bonuses and interpretation on dry land are lousy to me. -30% makes it less useful to me. To me Radar is a better on land Sonar.

I would rather have an Echolocation power that is a better Sonar, but useless underwater. That is basically a Radar power to me.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Unread post by The Baron of chaos »

Ohh Boy i was waiting for a thread like this since ALWAYS :twisted: :D

Ahem
Nightmask wrote:
RockJock wrote:I stick with Radar Sense. I just went through comic martial artist in my head, and some of the abilities they show. I came up with several characters, and no I don't mean DD who had a Radar/Sonar/Presence sense ability. They had different originals and specifics. I would definitely say a bat style echolocation/sonar could be added to the list.

I'm not aware of any that developed an actual Radar super-power from training, Sonar style yes but not Radar (and Daredevil's effectively a minor-powered mutant like Spider-Man for why he has that EM Radar ability).

Better than radar would be Life Sense, since it sinch wiht the flowing of positive chi. Alternative Motion Detection(difference is that it is more based on flow of energies than vibration perception)

As add on and jus tbecause i thought about it costantly since i started playing wiht HU:

Energy Claws(PU1), Focusin CHI on the tip of the hand create high speed air pressure. claws are barely visible for Ancient MArtial Artist
Hardened Skin(PU1). Freaking CHI-Gung. Of course the power will need positive chi to work and depedbning on the style could not always be on
Any Impervious : honestly a Body Hardening obsessesd style would eventually LEAD to some of this(now you are going to take all the poison of the world in small doses EACH day, for the next 5 years. Yes you could die but you could becomme immune to them as well. 50/50 chance...)
Heavy Weight: Stone Ox with the focus on OX. ANy style that favor strenght and endurance would love this more than physical perfection
Battle Rage: A furious demonic raging animus/aura surrounding the martial artist. Muscle bulges, upper body shirt and jackets look like they are ripping apart, eyes glow of supernatural rage. Is in a word quite visible effect
Un-Trackable and unnoteworthy: art of stealth, dear gentlemen. But are not always on they need to be conasciously activated and Unnoeworthy work if you don't do anything to break the illusion Ninja like styles would focus on these
Multi-Tasking: literally two minds
Weightless: Zenjorike always helping Ninjas jumping around like they were leaves
Disintegration(special touch only and only on called shot): Dim-Mak. You're already dead.
Venomous Attack: Atemi Variants. Not so much REAL venom as pressure point strikes and negative chi like it rain. But the effect don't change
Whip Attack: for a martial artist even some swords can become whips!
Dispersal: Ultimate defensive Zenjorike
EE: Light Explosion Massive charge of positive chi. Good for quicj escape or getting the upper hand in a fight
EE: Particel Beam: Three attack to use. As three syllables. A wave of chi energy, more powerful form of the chi blast
Defensive Will: State of trance where the martial artist synch with the flow of any and all aggressive chi. Like calm water in a storm
Force Strike: 99% of anime martial artist have some form of this.
Power Stomp: The energy field reflect the animus.
Without Sustenance: Harsh training in the mountains of japan
"The baron is made of raw win. Search your feelings, you know it to be true."
RockJock
Knight

You should have made one already Baron!

I didn't list powers like Force Strike, or the EE powers you listed, because the Chi Blast seemed close enough for me, but I don't have a reason why I wouldn't allow it.

I'm don't see a major thematic issue with the imperviousness powers. I've used the Physical Psychic "Resist" abilities for something like this before, and they were never unbalancing. There might be a few I would be iffy on, but most would work for my game.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

RockJock wrote:You should have made one already Baron!

I didn't list powers like Force Strike, or the EE powers you listed, because the Chi Blast seemed close enough for me, but I don't have a reason why I wouldn't allow it.

I'm don't see a major thematic issue with the imperviousness powers. I've used the Physical Psychic "Resist" abilities for something like this before, and they were never unbalancing. There might be a few I would be iffy on, but most would work for my game.

Well to be honest i think that at least for some styles Force Strike make more sense (and is more common in fiction) than Chi blast (that by the way is more powerfull in fiction at least). But this lead tot he base problem that ancient master make more sense if used using Ninja & Superspies rules So there could be a truly difference between an ancient master of an internal style(tha tseem to be the case for the HU Ancient Master) and one of oa more physical style. Again this is probably material worth an expansion.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Since N&SS was mentioned, consider Vocalization: you get to yell loudly, but not so loudly as to injure someone via Kaijutsu; and you get to do stuff that'd be a good fit for someone who goes in for the Calm Minds zenjorike, and unnerve-at-the-outset tricks with the Warrior Spirit kata; and the benefits of using Kokyu to boost Mental Affinity -- which, since Extraordinary Mental Affinity is already allowed, is even more plausible.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Let's be mindful of the "NO CONVERSION RULE" please
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
RockJock
Knight

Sorry NMI, wasn't meant to be a conversion in anyway.
The Baron of chaos
Champion

Yeah sorry. none here meant that way, my mistake for adding some descriptor for flavor, that could make one think to some familiar stuff(but is far from being a conversion)

On more generic term, and just to add something to the original discussion:
Depending on style pretty much any power should be availabel, in case of majors some of the standard Ancinet MAster powers should and could be traded, with the the twist that they require CHI to work, rate could take some hint from Nightbane(BEST PALLADIUM SETTING EVER.) Another good poitn would be to check N&S and Mystic China in the chi related powers.
(for the chronicle for long time i considered N&S, nightbane, HU and AtB/TMTN&OS as one big game setting with each one a sourcebook for the others....am I the only one?)
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Main book: Extraordinary Speed, due to the clan in Century Station.
RockJock
Knight

I thought Ext. Speed was already an option?
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Living Anatomy on an Ancient Master, although it would fit, would be broken.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
RockJock
Knight

Axelmania, you were right. I thought it was on the HU2 main book list, but wasn't. Extraordinary Speed would be on the high end, but might work.

Living Anatomy gives the stacked bonuses. I might use it with a few of them dropped off.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I have been toying with letting the AM have access to a short list of the Natural Genius Disciplines.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
RockJock
Knight

Many of those have the same flavor.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Stacked? Giving an ancient master a crit rate of 17-20 and all his melee attacks an additional 1d6+4 damage is just evil.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Why not Heavyweight? You could have an Ancient Master sumo wrestler. In fact I
made one for the 2nd edition post. Why not Harden Skin? Very classic in Ancient
Martial Arts masters. Indestructible Bones I can see as an Ancient Master as well. Bill
Coffin in Century Station proved just let your imagination fly when it comes to Ancient
Masters, or pretty much any HU character. As long as you and the G.M. agree upon
it.
RockJock
Knight

I could see Heavyweight working for sure.
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

Personally I extend AM abilities slightly more-

[code]
Disruptive Touch
Indomitable Will
Mind-Over-Matter: Analysis
Mind-Over-Matter: Body Control
Mind-Over-Matter: Combat Trance
Mind-Over-Matter: Cleansing Spirit
Mind-Over-Matter: Feign Death
Mind-Over-Matter: Healing Trance
Mind-Over-Matter: Pain Tolerance
Mind-Over-Matter: Positive Energy
Power Channelling: I replace this from the standard power of Unleash Physical Energy, as it would be how the AM is able to channel internal energy.
RockJock
Knight

I see those as fitting fairly well into the AM as well.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Awe Factor/Horror Factor seems to fit, since the Weapons Expert pretty much earns one by just being a scary guy who excels at violence.
RockJock
Knight

Not something I've thought about since we handle HF/Awe a bit differently as characters go up in level in our games, but it would fit the general idea.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

the ancient master should also have a 10% chance per level of knowing a bit of useful trivia about a subject in use during a adventure in my opinion.
RockJock
Knight

On certain subjects ancient masters have a great deal of knowledge, but on many others next to nothing.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

RockJock wrote:On certain subjects ancient masters have a great deal of knowledge, but on many others next to nothing.

thussly the chance roll for random trivia!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”