Shrinking feedback.

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Shrinking feedback.

Unread post by SittingBull »

It lists the penalties to hit a FULLY shrunk hero as -6 to strike with a gun or energy blast, -3 to strike with punch or hammering blunt attack, and -4 to strike with a kick or stomping attack.

My question, opening for feedback, is what would the attack penalties be for the shrunken hero when he is at his non-fully shrunken sizes? Such as at 6 inches, 1 inch, and 1/8 of an inch?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Razorwing
Hero

Re: Shrinking feedback.

Unread post by Razorwing »

The designers wanted to keep things relatively simple... so they gave just one set of penalties that more or less applies to any shrunken height. Remember... different characters will shrink to different heights... some can only shrink to 6 inches... others to a speck as small as this period (.). Anything between these heights (shrinks?) will get the penalties you presented to be hit.

As for between these dimensions and their normal height... I would adjust the penalties according to how much they've shrunk. It really is just to keep things simple and not as an accurate measure of how hard it is to hit such a small character.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Small beings don't typically have a penalty to be hit in Palladium, despite similarly-sized small objects having such a penalty in called shots. It's very inconsistent.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

My rule of thumb would be....
Once you are smaller than about 2' or so.....slap on the penalties and go.
I would also make sure to enforce any penalties that apply to the shrunken character as well (like reductions in Spd ect) so as to avoid min-maxing of size.
This of course would be my default state. Once played it would see how it works in game and adjust it in play if it was not working satisfactorily.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

If they are in the process of shrinking, I would treat the character as in motion and apply penalties that way.

If they have only partially shrunk down it would come down to how "normal" a size it is. If you can consider the size "normal" (you could theoretically shrink to 1/2 height instead as ex) no penalties, but if it is "abnormal" (smaller than infant for ex) for ease of use yes go with the listed penalties for simplicity or treat as a called shot (maybe even with size penalties) until they get into the list range.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”