Creating NPC's

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

talmor
Wanderer

Creating NPC's

Unread post by talmor »

Anyone have any tips for quick generation of NPC's? I've already gone through and statted up all the criminal NPC types from the GM's Guide, but I'm thinking of the various power categories and trying to come up with some of them. I don't really want to go through and do a full PC run on all of them, but I also don't want to forget a +2 to PS that they should have had or the +3 to Roll that or the like.

Plus, I'm using full PC sheets. Is there a better way to format them?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Creating NPC's

Unread post by Bill »

I don't usually stat out NPCs. Instead, I make up their bonuses and damage dice in the moment based on how tough I want the fight to be. Nameless ninjas go down in two or three decent hits while inflicting standard damage for their weapons. Named super villains will get +6 to +12 to their combat dice rolls and throw down powers at four or so levels above the group average. They drop after everybody has had a chance to show off a couple times and I've managed to put some hurt on at least one PC. This method keeps the game exciting and tense without demanding any real prep.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Don't stress about the bonuses. Something I've found useful for quick N.P.C. generation is the rules for "quick stat" generation in Robotech and Dead Reign. That has let me make important N.P.C.'s so much faster. For more minor N.P.C.'s I just eyeball it, make some quick notes, and move on. Here's the N.P.C. sheets I used for my HU2 campaign's season finale: Villains and Heroes. I had some N.P.C.'s more fully statted out but for the purposes of the final battle, what I put together was all I needed for these guys.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
talmor
Wanderer

Unread post by talmor »

Glistam wrote: Here's the N.P.C. sheets I used for my HU2 campaign's season finale: Villains and Heroes.

Dude, those are awesome. Do you have a blank version you'd care to share?

Right now, I'm thinking I do want some kind of stats, as I'm not comfortable enough with Palladium to just make it up on the fly. But, I really don't want to do entire sheets. Most stats that are game critical are combat ones, so I'm thinking of divvying them up into 4 basic sets. I'm comparing them to a typical "low power" hero.

Set 1--no combat. Most people fall into this category, even criminals. Physical stats (PS, PP, PE, SPD) are 10, no Hand to Hand (1 attack per round), no significant physical skills. If criminals, these are only a threat in large groups, and one on one are absolutely no match to a typical hero.

Set 2--average combat. Typical soldier, cop, criminal enforcer, etc. Physical stats are 12, Hand to Hand: Basic (3 attacks per round), Secondary Physical skills only, most likely Swimming, Running, and General Athletics. Not much of a threat one on one, but can be a bit tough in a decent group.

Set 3--elite combat. Special Forces soldiers, elite warriors, ninjas, etc. Physical stats start at 14, Hand to Hand: Expert (3 attacks per round), Secondary Physical skills only, but likely to be Weight Lifting, Gymnastics, etc. (This is per GM's Guide, even though Gymnastics isn't a Secondary Skill in the core book. ) Significant threats in a small group.

Set 4--Bad ass. These are the dragons, full fledged Ninja and other individuals that have a shot at going toe to toe. Physical stats start at 18. Hand to Hand: Martial Art (5 attacks per round). Physical skills are taken as a Skill program, so Acrobatics, Boxing and Wrestling are taken, plus those like Weight Lifting and General Athletics.

What do you all think?
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

It all depends on the what kind of npc it's supposed to be. The kind that dies quickly in the first fight. Or the run you want to have around for more than one session. If it's the first no reason to stat the npc completly imo. A few bonuses hear and their mdc/sdc values. If it's the second then do a more a writeup possibly a complete character.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

The random power chart.

I usually just roll to see how many etc.

Then basic attributes.

I keep four or five ready just in case.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

talmor wrote:
Glistam wrote: Here's the N.P.C. sheets I used for my HU2 campaign's season finale: Villains and Heroes.

Dude, those are awesome. Do you have a blank version you'd care to share?

Right now, I'm thinking I do want some kind of stats, as I'm not comfortable enough with Palladium to just make it up on the fly. But, I really don't want to do entire sheets. Most stats that are game critical are combat ones, so I'm thinking of divvying them up into 4 basic sets. I'm comparing them to a typical "low power" hero.

Set 1--no combat. Most people fall into this category, even criminals. Physical stats (PS, PP, PE, SPD) are 10, no Hand to Hand (1 attack per round), no significant physical skills. If criminals, these are only a threat in large groups, and one on one are absolutely no match to a typical hero.

Set 2--average combat. Typical soldier, cop, criminal enforcer, etc. Physical stats are 12, Hand to Hand: Basic (3 attacks per round), Secondary Physical skills only, most likely Swimming, Running, and General Athletics. Not much of a threat one on one, but can be a bit tough in a decent group.

Set 3--elite combat. Special Forces soldiers, elite warriors, ninjas, etc. Physical stats start at 14, Hand to Hand: Expert (3 attacks per round), Secondary Physical skills only, but likely to be Weight Lifting, Gymnastics, etc. (This is per GM's Guide, even though Gymnastics isn't a Secondary Skill in the core book. ) Significant threats in a small group.

Set 4--Bad ass. These are the dragons, full fledged Ninja and other individuals that have a shot at going toe to toe. Physical stats start at 18. Hand to Hand: Martial Art (5 attacks per round). Physical skills are taken as a Skill program, so Acrobatics, Boxing and Wrestling are taken, plus those like Weight Lifting and General Athletics.

What do you all think?

That seems to be along the same lines I was thinking when I was trying to figure out how I'd handle mass battles. This was the sheet I ended up making for the "fodder."

Here's the blank, fillable version of that N.P.C. sheet I linked earlier. I made it based on the blank one available from the Palladium website.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”