Enlightenment (awareness) Skill? (Or power, etc)

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Niji

Enlightenment (awareness) Skill? (Or power, etc)

Unread post by Niji »

Does a skill in HU or any palladium book appear to function as basic enlightenment (non-spirtual enlightenment, merely the disolving of the self, and becoming 'one' with existence, living in the moment(the 'present') exclusively, etc)?

Something like disolves your alignment to true relative neutrality, or grants immunity to fear and emotional imbalance (except drug or physical brain trauma induced, etc) unless one chooses to be influenced by them. Aka a real skill of individual 'agency'

(Maybe somehing like roll percentile check of your enlightenment skill to overcome/ignore such effects, gain masterful control of ones own self/body, confered immunity to unwilling possession (they can possess/occupy the space of the body, but cannot control it unless the character is convienced/allows them to).

If not a skill (which it would be IRL), then is there a functionally similar power (either fan made here, or official/rifter source?).

Does the Mental Hero power category ultimately function like this and it would be too overpowered to grant it to level 1 characters otherwise? Or would Hardware Analytical genius be a close allegory in terms of awareness?

Generally it should confer some serious mental endurence related category bonuses or relative immunities (a very unbreakable but fluid will and alignment (relative to the effect of what having the self and identity 'disolve' would have on the character's personality (indeed 'enlightenment' has no effect on some personality types as integrated oneness is simply confers nothing to some temperments already immune to influence).

I've noticed the palladium franchise has no meaningful allegory to other rpg systems for 'emotional maturity' or 'fluidity' or 'enlightenment' (even mystic china seems written through the eye of someone who has never experienced it and looks upon it from a perspective incapable of real understanding/maturity). Excepting perhaps a few alien races/r.c.c.s
Even with all the immortals running around not many seem to be anything resembling a mature individual (or 'no one').

Aka the tl;dr: having trouble fitting a basic skill concept/reality from other games/real life into palladium books system (particular HU since thats the destination universe for an upcoming game), does anything from a skill (or skill set/program) selection, power, or category resemble non-spiritual enlightenment(awareness, dissolving of the 'self,' emotional maturity, etc).

Basically I am asking, does this exist solidly already or do I need to craft it myself for the game I am going to be GMing/house rules?
Regularguy
Adventurer

Re: Enlightenment (awareness) Skill? (Or power, etc)

Unread post by Regularguy »

Niji wrote:Something like disolves your alignment to true relative neutrality, or grants immunity to fear and emotional imbalance (except drug or physical brain trauma induced, etc) unless one chooses to be influenced by them. Aka a real skill of individual 'agency'

In NINJAS & SUPERSPIES, taking a Chi Mastery skill automatically grants you the Chi Relaxation ability: if you have enough Chi, you can resist the temptation to drink even if you're an alcoholic, or ignore the phobia you suffer from, and so on for depression or drug addiction or whatever.

Chi Relaxation also lets you meditate to regain lost Chi -- which you'll probably want to do if the Chi Mastery skill you took was Kokyu, which lets you spend Chi to temporarily raise your mental endurance at need. (It also includes a "gain masterful control of ones own self/body" effect, as you can spend Chi to temporarily boost a physical stat instead.)
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Regularguy wrote:
Niji wrote:Something like disolves your alignment to true relative neutrality, or grants immunity to fear and emotional imbalance (except drug or physical brain trauma induced, etc) unless one chooses to be influenced by them. Aka a real skill of individual 'agency'

In NINJAS & SUPERSPIES, taking a Chi Mastery skill automatically grants you the Chi Relaxation ability: if you have enough Chi, you can resist the temptation to drink even if you're an alcoholic, or ignore the phobia you suffer from, and so on for depression or drug addiction or whatever.

Chi Relaxation also lets you meditate to regain lost Chi -- which you'll probably want to do if the Chi Mastery skill you took was Kokyu, which lets you spend Chi to temporarily raise your mental endurance at need. (It also includes a "gain masterful control of ones own self/body" effect, as you can spend Chi to temporarily boost a physical stat instead.)

Oh that sounds pretty spot on! Thanks, i somehow missed or overlooked this when reading through NS
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Niji wrote:Does a skill in HU or any palladium book appear to function as basic enlightenment (non-spiritual enlightenment, merely the dissolving of the self, and becoming 'one' with existence, living in the moment(the 'present') exclusively, etc)?

Something like dissolves your alignment to true relative neutrality, or grants immunity to fear and emotional imbalance (except drug or physical brain trauma induced, etc) unless one chooses to be influenced by them. Aka a real skill of individual 'agency'

…snip

First thing is that dissolving yourself is not enlightenment and the other phases you used do not mesh with the dissolving of self, and there is no neutrality, ether you have chosen to be good or you haven't. Not going to argue these facts.

To break it down you want a power that….
● The ability to erase the char's presence from the awareness of other living beings.
● Having an extreme sense of situational awareness.

In other words you are asking about chars that have the skills & abilities of the Hunter/Vigilantly power cat. (more hunter then the other)

I would use the N&S-HU conversion text to see if the Hunter can get maybe chi mastery MA forms.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Dissolving ones alignment is easy. I do it every game I run....
Rule Zero and presto, no alignments.
Chi Relaxation, Meditation, and a good ME will do most of the rest
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Niji wrote:Does a skill in HU or any palladium book appear to function as basic enlightenment (non-spiritual enlightenment, merely the dissolving of the self, and becoming 'one' with existence, living in the moment(the 'present') exclusively, etc)?

Something like dissolves your alignment to true relative neutrality, or grants immunity to fear and emotional imbalance (except drug or physical brain trauma induced, etc) unless one chooses to be influenced by them. Aka a real skill of individual 'agency'

…snip

To break it down you want a power that….
● The ability to erase the char's presence from the awareness of other living beings.
● Having an extreme sense of situational awareness.

In other words you are asking about chars that have the skills & abilities of the Hunter/Vigilantly power cat. (more hunter then the other)

I would use the N&S-HU conversion text to see if the Hunter can get maybe chi mastery MA forms.

Yeah, basically that. Maybe some of the stuff out of Mystic China. They even have an alignment that kind of describes what you're after. Not a perfect fit, but maybe a better one then the standard fair.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”