Vampires vs HU characters

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gottork1967
Megaversal® Ambassador

Vampires vs HU characters

Unread post by gottork1967 »

Can a mutant be turned into a vampire by a bite?
If yes what would be the effects to them?
This is mainly something I have been wondering and see tons of forumites here who know way more than me..
Also if a vampire loses his master could they do experiments on themselves to get super powers?
If they are a master can they be worked on like experiments or mechanized villans?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Vampires vs HU characters

Unread post by The Beast »

gottork1967 wrote:Can a mutant be turned into a vampire by a bite?
This is mainly something I have been wondering and see tons of forumites here who know way more than me..
Also if a vampire loses his master could they do experiments on themselves to get super powers?
If they are a master can they be worked on like experiments or mechanized villans?

VKr has a mostly complete listing on what can or can't be turned into a vampire on page 19. The closest thing I see on the matter is under the Dog Boy bullet, that states that animal/human mutants can't be turned into a vampire. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it means animal mutants & human mutants, or animals mutated into partial humans.

It also says that D-Bees with MDC bodies can't be turned into vampires, nor could shape-changers (which is odd, because I know of a couple changeling vampires in the PFRPG setting). So I suppose one could check to see which powers convert to MDC in the CB1 and rule that any mutants with one of those powers or a shape-changing one can't be turned. That's most of the powerful ones right there. I currently don't think it would be too unbalancing to let a vampire keep whatever mutant powers are left, though I haven't gone through and looked at what's left yet.

As for experimenting on a vampire goes, I say that's something that you'd need to be a god, alien intelligence or demon lord to be able to attempt to do, mostly due to the vampire's resistance to magic and regeneration capabilities. Same with the vampire that lost its master.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Which PF books have changeling vampires?
The Beast

Axelmania wrote:Which PF books have changeling vampires?

Old Ones, Klak Bathamee on page 199. Notes that he appears as an elf, but can look however he wants. The second one I may be confusing with Chandar in High Seas. The 1st Ed version had him as a changeling frozen in elf form as a result of a flawed circle. 2nd Ed version makes no mention of this.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

gottork1967 wrote:(1)Can a mutant be turned into a vampire by a bite?
(2)Also if a vampire loses his master could they do experiments on themselves to get super powers?
(3)If they are a master can they be worked on like experiments or mechanized villains?

(1) (From a outside of Rifts View Point) Yes, chars with superpowers can be turned into 'traditional' vampires. "Do they retain their superpowers?" No, unless the GM wants them to. However, being undead is a mega hero power (or an optional major power ¿R1?) in HU2. So I would not go about letting a player get his or her char be turned into the undead. Best to warn them that they will need to make a new char if they do that.
While the Rifts rules are good and fine, they are canon for just Rifts.

(2) They would not gain any powers.
(3) It would take a act of god (miracle) or high level magic to change a vampire.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

This is extra weird since Changelings have been called Creatures of Magic.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

NPCs are the rule breakers.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
The Beast

Axelmania wrote:This is extra weird since Changelings have been called Creatures of Magic.

Yeah, I think that's a 2nd ed change.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The Beast wrote:
Axelmania wrote:This is extra weird since Changelings have been called Creatures of Magic.

Yeah, I think that's a 2nd ed change.

That would though make them no longer qualified to be vampires (and the vampire changeling would join the Squadron of Super Special Snowflakes)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

I thought I remembered seeing it in the original Rifts Conversion Book.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

gottork1967 wrote:Can a mutant be turned into a vampire by a bite?

This has come up in our games a few times, based on that same dog boy/psi-stalker ruling in vamps, we said no (to tell you the truth, I actually can't recall exactly where we came up with it as a gaming group, but I have referenced vamp kingdoms as the basis of the ruling for years). However, vampires can use mutant blood as high octane fuel. Allowing them to clone powers from mutants. My rule was mutants only, not experiments or the other assorted power cats, could have their blood taken to boost the vampire. Magic was out for obvious reasons, aliens never came up (that would be adjudicated, on a case by case basis and in the case of experiments I ruled it was just as likely that the mysterious factor could just as likely be toxic as beneficial. Mutant could not be turned. Other super humans who were turned would lose their powers.

Now, that said, there are tons and tons of ways to gain super powers and vampirism. 1) Two magic spells that I'm aware of in Rifts (both necromancer focused OCCs) who's spell lists can be converted over to HU2E, that transform the caster into a vampire (Mystic Russia is the location of one of them and I forget the other one, Rifts Africa maybe). So any magic+super powers power cat works. It's a bit contrived, but it can be done. 2) The mega-character template actually allows it straight up. 3) Same deal for the blood drinking immortal from PU2. Which is basically a variant of the mega from the core book. 4) Villains Unlimited, there was a experiment to create superhumans that resulted in crazy superhumans who all think they are vampire. Entry about Dirk Nighthunter or some such. 5) Directly to Beasts point, a stepped up vampire was created by the Babylonian gods of baddie-badness, found in Conversion book 2. 6) The Eugenics category has a vampire listing, as the scientists used a dead body to build their creation. 7) Adventure number 101 in Century Station, the very last page of the book has a mega-villain (using that one again), with vampirism and super powers, who is actively creating more just like him. 8 ) Finally, this is an ancient comic book trope of having super characters fighting Dracula, and having either their side kicks turned into vampires or they themselves turned into vampires. It's so done that Wikipedia has a page devoted to just that idea.

Have fun.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”