Flaws * The dark mirror to Feats

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Flaws * The dark mirror to Feats

Unread post by Shadowknight »

For anyone who's read my list of Feats, or the table on how many Feats a certain character class can receives, it quickly becomes painfully evident it's impossible to be able to afford even 10% of them. This table and list is my attempt on player characters who would like to choose more feats than their class would normally allow to. I plan over the coming weeks if not months to list between 25-50 flaws common to the Super-hero archetype. Each flaw or limitation instead of giving abilities or bonus will give the hero certain restrictions either Psychological or Physical and bc of those limitations the hero will receive a certain number of bonus feats. Having posted these Flaws, it should be clearly stated your GM has the final say, he or she is under no obligation on allowing every flaw listed specially if he or she feels the player isn't role-playing the flaw correctly, in the same manner player characters have a strict limit on how many Flaws they can take. I suggest no more than 3 or 4 on the outside. Nevertheless I'm not running your game but I've yet to find a player who can correctly role-player more than 6 flaws, therefore the absolute limit a PC an take is 6 flaws period. Here's a partial list of Flaws I plan on posting very soon. I plan on updating and adding to it until I reach a min of 25 Flaws. Hopefully others can contribute or suggest Flaws that it would be fun to role-play, for the GM or a PC.

Upcoming Flaws

Accelerated Metabolism=Done
Aged Relatives
Aging or Accelerated Aging= Done
Anger Management
Damaged Organs=Done
Dark Secret
Double Agent
Extremely Honorable
Flashbacks
Glass Canon=Done
Glory-hound
Gunslinger Mentality(reversed)=Done
Horror Factor
Insecurity
Justice not the Law
Ladykiller
Late Bloomer
Lonewolf=Done
Mercenary=Done
Recovering Alcoholic
Special Vulnerability=Done
The Law is the Law
Weak Power
Weak Will
Last edited by Shadowknight on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 17 times in total.
gaby
Knight

Re: Flaws * The dark mirror to Feats

Unread post by gaby »

Can't accept that they can be wrong.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

gaby wrote:Can't accept that they can be wrong.
Sorry, I don't understand what can't be wrong?
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Special Vulnerability

Works in 2 fashions

I. Is in the presence of this element on or near your body that's 12 ft or less. You start taking damage directly to SDC 1d6 per round, after 2 rds it jumps to 2d6 SDC per rd, after 4 rds it jumps to 3d6 SDC per rd, after another 2 rds it jumps to 4d6 SDC per rd, ect. When all your SDC is gone it will attack your hit Points at a rate of 1D8 per rd. The dangerous aspect of this damage is it bypasses any power, armor of force field. The only way you can heal from this damage is moving away from the substance or removing from your body. Should you be able to remove the substance from your body or move over 12 ft away you will recover quickly the damage will be healed 2x as fast as it was taken away. All magic or psionic can do is temporarily give you SDC or hit Points back but the damage will continue to accumulate as long as you 're 12ft or less from the substance. Realize this Flaw is extremely debilitating in the presence of this substance you lose 90% of your P.P and 95% of your SPD whether it's running, flying or swimming. More likely than not you'll need help to move away from the substance.

Here's partial list of substances that could affect the hero, by no means is it all inclusive you & your GM could add to the list, it goes without saying whatever substance you choose should be at the very list be equal to a pint if its a liquid or the size of a 10yr old fist if it's a solid object. If something like fire it can't be something as small as a bick lighter, at the very least the fire must be over 1 square feat. Anything smaller will be extremely painful{similar to the Psionic ability bio-manipulation: Pain), you'll feel queasy but won't do permanent damage to your character. The only exception to that rule if the substance is touching your body in that case something as small as a marble will cause you 1d4 SDC per rd till it's removed from your skin and you move 12 ft away or if it's injected in your body from a needle, arrow, knife or a bullet in that case your character is in Agony similar to the spell -12 to strike, parry & dodge, lose all attacks or action except 2 and you continue to lose 1d6 SDC per rd, when SDC is gone it attacks Hit Points for 1d4 per rd till death or the substance is removed from your body. Once removed you recover quickly from damage at 2x as fast as when the damage done.

1. Fire
2. Cold or Ice
3. Water
4. Sea Water
5. Sulfuric Acid
6. Sunlight
7. Moonlight
8. Holy Water
9. Shadow of a Cross
10. Electricity
11. Magnetism
12. Microwaves
13. Gamma Radiation
14. X-rays
15. Cold iron
16. Lead
17. Silver
18. Gold
19. Mercury
20. Palladium

Feat gained: 3 if it's something anyone can get their hands on (for example silver) , 2 if it's rare ( for example radioactive material from a hydrogen bomb), 1 if it's something extremely rare ( for example a material doesn't normally exist on Earth or exist in extremely small quantities less than 10 pds in the whole planet)

II. Is in the presence of this element on or near your body that's 12 ft or less. You start losing your powers & abilities. If (For example our hero Major Wonderful Achilles heel is Silver) a bullet fired from a fire who's at least 95% pure silver would affect him like a normal person even-though a normal bullet or( for example a Teflon coated bullet, gold bullet or cold iron bullet) wouldn't be able to affect him due to his Invulnerability major power. Nevertheless a silver would go through his Invulnerability as if it wasn't there. Having said that he would still have his bonus SDC & Hit Points that the power gives him but nor his normal resistance. In a case of a movement power the hero lose 20% of his running, flying, swimming or burrowing speed each rd he's within 12 ft of the substance. In a case of an attack power he would lose per round (if he was for example a 5 lvl character with a 7D6 Energy Blast, the first rd after being exposed to the silver on his skin, inside his body or within 12 ft of him, he would only be able to do 6d6 damage) on the following rd he would do another 1d6 less till he completely lose the power. Should he be able to remove the substance from his body or move away from the substance at a distance of more than 12 ft he would regain the power loss 2x as fast as the loss. ( For example he would regain his ability to shoot EB at 2d6 per rd till he was back to normal)

Feat gained: 3 if it's something anyone can get their hands on (for example silver), 2 if it's rare (for example radioactive material from a hydrogen bomb), 1 if it's something extremely rare (for example KRYPTONITE a material doesn't normally exist on Earth or exist in extremely small quantities less than 10 pds in the whole planet)

Bonus:Should the hero decide to gain both versions of the this flaw he gains a min of 3 feats, EVEN-THOUGH by math he or she should only receive 2 feats from the extremely rare version of the substance. Nevertheless he receives a 1 feat bonus for choosing both version. In a like manner should the hero pick a more common version of the substance for both version of the Flaw he would receive a +1 to his feats gained. GM should warn PC this is extremely dangerous combination since choosing this combo would leave the hero or heroine in an extremely hazardous situation with no way of removing the substance from his body or near short of a team-mate helping him or her.

Prerequisite: This flaw is only available for people who either have powers, magic or psionics
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Damage Organs

This flaw is often seen in the Robot or Cyborg character class, but there's nothing stopping another class from picking it though I don't recommend it. With this flaw for some reason a bionic organ is not a viable option neither is transplant surgery it might be bc your alien a viable donor isn't possible on Earth, the Experiment that cause you to develop powers make a normal human organ incompatible or it could be bc of your mutation, magic or psionics you developed a random X-factor. But for whatever reason transplant surgery isn't an option either. Therefore whichever (most likely heart) organ has been damaged severely outside of cloning or having transmutation Healing from Rifts Atlantis pg 108 you're stuck with this weakness for the rest of the character life so choose carefully. Because sooner or later it will inconvenience, harm or even possibility kill your character depending on the circumstances.

In games terms no matter what organ it is, anytime you take over 25% of your SDC from 1 attack or over 50% of your SDC from several attacks you need to make a sv vs Pain of 12 with the normal P.E bonus (if you have any) of sv vs Poison. Anytime you take over 40% of your SDC from 1 attack or over 70% of your SDC from several attacks you need to make a sv vs Pain of 15 with only half the P.E bonus (if you have any) of sv vs Poison. Anytime you take over 60% of your SDC from 1 attack or over 90% of your SDC from several attacks you need to make a sv vs Pain of 17 with only half the P.E bonus (if you have any) of sv vs Poison. Should you fail your sv you permanently lose 1 pt to P.E+1D6 to Hit Points unless you do serious rehab after 6 mts your GM will have you make another sv at plus +2 to whatever was your sv vs Pain ( so if you failed vs Pain at 12 you need to make a sv vs Pain at 14) if you make it you regain your lost P.E +1D6 Hit Point lost. On top this at the time of your failure you need to make another sv vs pain at +3 to whatever the original pain roll was (so if you failed vs Pain at 12 you need to make a sv vs Pain at 15) with no bonus or pass out for 1d4 rd, should you make it you temporarily lose 1d4 attacks and are -1d4 to strike, parry & dodge, for 1d4 rd. Your GM rolls 3X to see how many attacks you lose each rd, how many minus you have to your attack rolls & how many rds the limitation last.

Should you the combat last long enough that you are now receiving damage to your hit points, anytime you take over 25% of your Hit Points from 1 attack or over 50% of your Hit Points from several attacks you need to make a sv vs Pain of 14 with NO P.E BONUS at all. Anytime you take over 40% of your Hit Points from 1 attack or over 70% of your Hit Points from several attacks you need to make a sv vs Pain of 16 with NO P.E BONUS. Anytime you take over 60% of your Hit Points from 1 attack or over 90% of your Hit Points from several attacks you need to make a sv vs Pain of 18 with only NO P.E BONUS. Should you fail your sv you permanently lose 1d4+1 pt to P.E + 4D6 to Hit Points unless you do serious rehab after 6 mts your GM will have you make another sv at plus +2 to whatever was your sv vs Pain ( so if you failed vs Pain at 14 you need to make a sv vs Pain at 16) if you make it you regain your lost P.E but only +3D6 Hit Point lost. On top this at the time of your failure you need to make another sv vs pain at +3 to whatever the original pain roll was (so if you failed vs Pain at 14 you need to make a sv vs Pain at 17) with no bonus or pass out for 1d6 rds, should you make it you temporarily lose 1d4+1 attacks and are -1d6 to strike, parry & dodge, for 1d4+1 rd. Your GM rolls 3X to see how many attacks you lose each rd, how many minus you have to your attack rolls & how many rds the limitation last.

Should you character be a Robot powered armor or Cyborg you have a built in pacemaker or defibrillation machine in his chest armor and he receives a +2 to his sv vs pain but this plus is activated only when he's taking damage to his hit points. no other character class can have this plus.

Feat gained
Last edited by Shadowknight on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Shadowknight wrote:Special Vulnerability

...snip...
20. Palladium

...snip

"I Must Have All The Books.......New Rifter! Yes! Yes! Ordering it right away" :clown:
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Shadowknight wrote:Special Vulnerability

...snip...
20. Palladium

...snip

"I Must Have All The Books.......New Rifter! Yes! Yes! Ordering it right away" :clown:
Nice. But instead of smart comments :evil: , if you just asked me I would have explained what I wrote down to you :o . If you studied chemistry in College or did a little research in the periodic table you'd know Palladium is also a metal :shock: .

Palladium
Chemical Element
Palladium is a chemical element with symbol Pd and atomic number 46. It is a rare and lustrous silvery-white metal discovered in 1803 by William Hyde Wollaston. Wikipedia
Symbol: Pd
Electron configuration: [Kr] 4d10
Discovered: 1803
Atomic number: 46
Melting point: 2,831°F (1,555°C)
Atomic mass: 106.42 u ± 0.01 u
Discoverer: William Hyde Wollaston
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Counters with HU:CS pages 130&131, specificly the middle of the 1st paragraph and the achilles heal.

-----------------
GURPS has a plethora of advantages and flaws.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Counters with HU:CS pages 130&131, specificly the middle of the 1st paragraph and the achilles heal.

-----------------
GURPS has a plethora of advantages and flaws.
Thank You for this insightful information except

1. it's on pg 183 of the HU not 130-131
2. the one you listed only deals with Mega-Heroes
3. while there are some similarities with the Achilles Heel (Not Achilles Heal) mines goes into greater detail & IMO has greater role-playing potential
4. The HU version only deals superficially with vulnerability to certain substance, the rest of the page deals with Psychological & other limitations.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Char name Palladium taken from the metal that she has to have in contact with. As in IKDW what the palladum metal is.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Char name Palladium taken from the metal that she has to have in contact with. As in IKDW what the palladum metal is.
I know, the character from CS she's part of the Valkyries team. But you're the one that made a joke about Palladium books. So why did you make joke about it when you knew or should have know it was a metal is beyond me? Also the character metal that she has to have contact with is Palladium like Palladium books (Not Palladum)
ScottBernard
Explorer

Unread post by ScottBernard »

So really this is just a conversion of disadvantages from the Hero and Gurps systems. Just like your feats is a conversion of advantages from the two.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

ScottBernard wrote:So really this is just a conversion of disadvantages from the Hero and Gurps systems. Just like your feats is a conversion of advantages from the two.
No, while it's influenced by them. I never cared much for the GURPS system and as for the Hero system it has some interesting ideas but it's too cluncky. It's been over 7 yrs since I had those books in my house, so I couldn't make a conversion for them even if I wanted to. My Feats & Flaws are the direct results of reading over 35 yrs comic books from American, Mexican, French, Chinese & Japanese publishers and trying to recreate certain arch-types to fit in the HU system.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Shadowknight wrote:
gaby wrote:Can't accept that they can be wrong.
Sorry, I don't understand what can't be wrong?

Near as I can tell english isn't gaby's first language (that's not a fault just an observation).

In this case I believe she was suggesting a Flaw for your list in this case a psychological flaw of not being able to accept that one could be wrong or had made an error.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Aging or Accelerated Aging

This flaw is rarely seen in comics from the big 2, but sometimes seen in Japanese Manga and the smaller American publisher of comic books. As the flaw name the power burns out the body as powers are being used by the character, in a fashion very similar to a Juicer from Rifts except the damage is gradual instead of fast degradation of the body in the last yr of the Juicer life. Each time an ability, power, magic or psionic is used for more than 2 rds regardless if you change to a different power, ability, magic spell or psionic ability 1 rd later you age 1 day, after another 2 rds you age another day and so on. While for game purpose you won't notice an accelerate aging of 1 week or 1 month, after a while it adds up. Anytime you age a 3 days or more within 1 day you receive -10% to skills, -2 to Strike, parry & dodge and you lose 1 of your attacks, each additional day adds another -5% to skills,-1 to strike, parry & dodge. If you age a week or more within a day you lose additional penalties on top of the ones for each additional day -25% to skills, -3 to strike parry & dodge and you lose 2 more of your attacks. The negative double each additional week of aging that day after the third week of aging roll sv throw vs non lethal poison with no bonus or pass out you are comatose for 3 days after that you can drag yourself around to eat, drink, read but you need to sleep at least 10 hrs a day till you made up the days of sleep you missed, Should you make the sv throw at 3 weeks a month or aging without rest is the absolute max, your body is basically on fumes you have only 1 attack at -15 to strike, parry & dodge and -65% to any skill all you want to do it crawl into a bed and sleep for week. The only way to lose the negatives is to spend at least 1 day doing nothing but sleeping at least 10 hrs a day, eating, watching TV or light reading for each day you age. If you waited till 3 weeks or a month to rest up it take you 2X as many days of resting to recover. Also anyone who stayed up 3 wks or more needs to make sv with no bonus vs pain or permanentaly lose -1 to his P.P or P.E, should anyone had stayed up a 4 wks he permanently lose -1 spd, -1d4 to hit points and needs to make sv with no bonus vs pain or lose -1 to his P.P, P.E, P.S he rolls against pain 3X 1 for each attribute.

Each 6 mts of aging the GM rolls vs non lethal poison for the character adding only half his P.E bonus to the save. Should he make it he only lose -1d4 SDC from his character sheet this represents the toll the AA flaw is taking on his or her body. Should he fail he lose -1d3 from 1 physical or mental attribute roll 1d6.1-I.Q. 2-P.S, 3-P.P, 4-P.E, 5-P.B, 6-SPD and 1d6 to his SDC this represents the toll the AC flaw is taking on his or her body. Needless the character after a couple of yrs of accelerated aging will look older than his yrs any time the character ages 2 yrs from AA flaw he also permanently lose -1 P.B.

Feats gained: 2

Limitation:
this flaw can only be picked by people with Powers, Psionics or Magic.

Further Limitation:
This flaw can't be picked up by people who have Immortality, Longevity, Extraordinary P.E, Healing Factor, Divine Healing, Regeneration Ultima any other power, ability, magic, psionic or feat that can extend a person lifespan.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Accelerated Metabolism

This flaw is very similar to Accelerated Aging flaw, the major difference it burns up your body in a difference way. Instead of prematurely aging you, this flaw requires a massive amount of energy specifically bio-energy that you receive from eating food. With this flaw your food bill is at least 40% of your budget, depending on the circumstance and how long you use your powers you can go from borderline morbidly Obese to near starvation thin in a matter of minutes. In game terms after 2 rds of using your powers, magic or psionics you start burning up some off your stored fat off your body. You start burning off 1d4 pounds for every 1d6 you do with an Energy Blast, for non attack & non movement based powers you burn off 1d6 pounds per round. You burn off 1d8 pounds per rd for movement based powers.

Magical & Psionics works in a similar manner, after 2 rds of using your Psionics or Spells normally you burn off 1 pd for every pt of I.S.P or P.P.E the spell or Psionic ability would normally cost. But b/c of this flaw after the 4 rd of using your spells or Psionics that day your I.S.P & P.P.E cost drop by half for that day. It should go without saying if you stop to go out to eat a large meal, the advantage in P.P.E or I.S.P cost is cancelled and you start back as if you never used our abilities that day.

The problem flaw is you don't feel yourself losing the weight off until you are dangerously close to starvation all you feel is slightly lighter. The GM rolls for how much weight you lose when using your powers. Any loss quick loss of weight of 50 pds or more and you receive -1 to strike, parry & dodge, at 100 pds or more it jumps to -3 to strike, parry & dodge, each additional 50 pds loss adds another -2 to your strike parry & dodge and you lose another attack.

The ability works like this the character can store on extra weight up to a max of 20x his P.E in pds by eating several large meals before fight or uses of his powers or throughout the day. Because of this flaw, the character will basically starve to death if he only eat 3 meals a day like a normal person. At the very least he needs to eat 5 or 6x a day this is his normal, even if he or she isn't using hhis or her powers, magic or psionics. At their l normal vl of food intake they will look slightly out of shape. But outside of eating only 3 meals a day this character will never have the high definition body that is extremely common in comics. Warn the player his or her character is basically on fumes when they are eating 3 meals a day, they are -4 to strike, parry & dodge plus -15 to any mental skill & -20% to any physical skill. Each additional meal remove another -1 to strike pary & dodge plus -5 to skill. To power their abilities they neeed to eat more than this. The 5 or 6 meals a day is his basic fuel for his powers, psionics or magic for the first 2 rds and daily non use of powers. Imagine your body like a bank account with capital and interest. Anything beyond 2 rd without eating an additional meal and you'll start eating into your body capital and of interest. In game terms your flaw allows you to store fat or weight more easily the a normal person, each large meal your character eats beyond the normal 6 adds between 5d4-8d4 pds.

The problem comes when you start eating at your capital instead of interest. Anytime you lose all your extra fat during combat you now start taking damage from your S.D.C you start losing 1 pt of SDC for every 2pts of damage you do with your powers or 1 pt of S.D.C for every 2 pts of P.P.E or I.S.P your abilities cost. In addition should all your S.D,C be gone and you continue to use our abilities it works in a similar manner with Hit Points except you now have half of your normal attack & anytime you reach half your hit point of less you literally pass out from the strain on your body and go into a coma +20% to sv vs coma death but only if taken to hospital or doctors care. You basicall look like you haven't eating in weeks you're basically skin & bones -75% to all stats when you recover from coma. You regain your normal stats at an accelerated rate of 2 pts each per day as long as you are eating 7 meals a day and doing nothing else but rest. If you only eat 5 or 6 meals a day you recover your stats a 1 pt per day.

Feat gained: 2

Bonus: B/c of your constant eating by practice and necessity you have gained the cooking skill for free (GM or the player decide what style or country based cooking style)

Limitation: This flaw is limited to Psionics, Mage and people with powers. Due to the constant weight gain the character can't have a normal P.P higher than 22 or SPD higher than 24 outside of Powers, Magic or Psionics.

Additional Limitation: Anyone who picks this flaw can never have the Physical Perfection minor power b/c of this flaw the character will always appear slightly out of shape with a Body-fat index between 10-20%, similar power that implies perfect physique or power, abilities or feats that compensate for needing to eat are also forbidden.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Mercenary

People with this flaw are in the hero for the money pure and simple. It doesn't mean necessarly they will turn evil if paid for it, but thry might be tempted if the sum is high enough. It simply means the figured out a way of making being a Superheroes pay. It could be they work for a corporation that pays them or they act like private security company or they sell their name and likeness in commercials or they work as a near indestructible stuntmen, work exclusively for the Gov't and get paid becoup bucks, or if they have the ability to heal other charge for their healing ability, ect. But no matter being a SH is his or her 9-5 job and it pays quite well. Now you might ask what's the big deal or how is this a flaw. Simply put this character rubs other SH the wrong way, they'll never the respect someone who risk his life day in and day out for free. Plus while he might be love or admired for his Superheroism, Capt Wonderful who does the same thing as him and isn't to make a buck will always be more respected in the SH world, the public at large, the gov't (unless he works for them) in that case other gov't in the world will always see him as an adjunct to his gov't.

In game terms the character suffer-6 to his M.A when interacting with SH that aren't of the Mercenary bent, -4 to M.A when interacting with Police or Federal Gov't types unless he work for the Federal Gov't & -3 to M.A vs the General population. This doesn't mean they hate him or will necessarily arrest him or accuse him of crime, it simply means they regard him as slightly dishonorable and any help they give toward him is reluctant and the will be minimum or by necessity.

Fears gained: 1

Limitation: people with the feat Reputation: Boy-scout, Relentless Hunter of Criminals or Relentless Hunter of Undead can't have this flaw. Unless working for the Gov't people with this flaw can't have the Courtesy Rank Feat.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Gunslinger Mentality(reversed)

This flaw is a variant on the Reputation feat. The only problem is that for some reason you've built up such a high reputation, people from all over the world want to see if you're really all you're cracked up to be. So unlike the typical Gunfighter mentality were you're trying to prove your the fastest gun in the west, people are constantly attacking, challenging or forcing you to prove you really are the best at what you do.

This is how it works people specifically your enemies will try to force you to meet their challenge in a public fashion. Now before you say I refuse or I bring my team-mates to help me, there's the rub unless you fight them 1 on 1 with no help from team-mates or if it's a different challenge like (who can run faster, fly faster, drive better, shoot better, hack better, ect) these people aren't going to leave you alone. At best you can ignore them for a while or put them imprison for a crime. But sooner or later they're going to escape, and the next time they won't be nice about asking. More likely than not, they'll kidnap, hurt, blackmail, frame or bribe a co-worker, family, friends, colleague, team-mates with the end result of forcing you to accept their challenge.

In many ways this can be considered a variant of a Nemesis feat also minus the bonus(see the movie the One with Jet Li). It must also be pointed out that after a while even your team-mates, the public at large, newspapers reporters or TV reporters will start asking question on why you're afraid of accepting the challenge. Basically put these people will make your life hell until you accept their challenge( GM be creative). That being said even this flaw once you've accepted and beaten your challenger you;ll probably not be challenged or bothered by anyone else again till you reach another lvl or at best 2 other lvls.

In game terms the flaw works like this you have a base 45% chance of incurring a challenger and at every additional lvl it increase by 10%. Should you beat him, he'll leave you alone for at least 1d3+1 lvl. But the next lvl or 2 lvl later you'll be challenged again by someone else. If you refuse the challenge for the first month you won't incur any penalties, after that your challenger will start putting pressure on you. Beyond attacking or pressuring your love ones, they can try to frame you, attack your finance or your public reputation and if any of those don't work join a super-villian team whose sole purpose is to make your life hell.( Not necessarily kill you)

Prerequisite: Must be a Mega Hero, Immortal or at least 7 lvl with 3 stats of 24 or higher & 2 skills of 85% oe higher.

Feat gained:
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Lonewolf

This flaw represents something often times demonstrated in comic books superheroes but rarely done in Superhero RPG. That's a Lonewolf that either don't care for having team members around him all the time or don't agree with their methods or their dedication to fighting crime. This doesn't mean the character won't help out his team members it simply means in many ways this character is grating or irritating to other team members. This is the type of character that has contingencies on his team members on how to take them down should he decide he needs to do so. More likely than not he'll have a file on their psychological strengths and weaknesses. This character will make it know he doesn't appreciate team members horning in on his city or case. Therefore while he tends to be admired for his dedication to crime fighting, skills, drive and intelligence. He has few close friends among his peers, at best 1d3+1. But he tends to have sidekicks and support staff to make up for it.

In game terms outside of your SS , Sidekicks & your 1d3+1 close superhero friends respond to you as if you had an M.A 5 pts less than what it is in regards to having them like you or support you. In addition heroes especially super-villains are leery of you. You get attacked first by Super-villains baring a Mega hero being part of the party & more often than not the minions tend to concentrate on you during mass battles. Lonewolves tend to have a love/hate relationship with the public and police. While they won't believe he steals from the criminals, they tend to see in him their worst nightmares. They 're either being loved or hunted by the police, either being praised for his results or vilified for his methods. So be careful picking this flaw depending on game ply, who the current Police Commissioner or what the Newspaper writes the public or police can change in a matter of days. In game terms the character with this flaw has a base 30% chance of having the public or the authorities turn on him every lvl -1% per lvl of them character.

Finally you never receive a Nemesis as a feat it doesn't mean you don't have one or 2 it just means you don't receive the bonus for having the Nemesis feat.

Bonus: The Sidekick & Support Staff feat cost you 1 feat less

Prerequisite: Must have Sidekicks feat & Support Staff feat

Feats Gained: 3
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Glass Canon

This flaw is somewhat rare in comics but not extremely rare, given there's quite a few minor or B list heroes with this flaw. In easily understood term the GC flaw represents someone who has an extremely powerful long range attack, but nevertheless can't take as much damage as he or she can dish out specially concussive damage or blunt trauma damage. Depending on the GM the character can be somewhat resistant to Energy damage specially similar to the one he or she generates but that's strictly up to the the GM.

Having said all this why would someone take this flaw? Number 1 it gives you the most amour of Bonus feats among all the flaws listed, number 2 in just 1 of your long range attack power that's assuming you've more than 1. If just 1 you receive a +2 per lvl bonus to the damage of your attack power. ( for example a hero called Lighting Lord a 5 th lvl character has Energy Expulsion:Electricity, but b/c of this flaw. Were he would normally do 3d6+4d6 damage or 7d6 damage b/c he's 5 lvl. He now does 3d6+4dd6+8 damage or 7d6+8 damage with his EE power). Should the hero have a second Energy Expulsion power it only does normal damage based on the HU book.

Prerequisite:Must have a Long range attack power

Limitation: This flaw can't be taken by people without powers, nor can it be taken by people with certain powers. Anyone with Alter Physical, Bio-Armor, Create Force Field, Force Aura, Immortality, Size changing, Sonic Speed, Sonic Flight,Increase Durability, Invulnerability, Indestructible Bones, Massive Damage Capacity, Extraordinary P.E, Manipulate Kinetic Energy, Personal Force Field, Underwater Abilities Regenerative powers can't take this flaw. Or any other power that I missed that gives bonus to Hit Points, SDC or resistance to blunt force trauma.

Further Limitation: This is the big one.

1. The character with this flaw loses half his S.D.C permanently
2. The character rolls 1d4 for Hit Points ever lvl not 1d6 when he goes up a lvl.
3. The character must loses -1 Hit Points for every lvl he rolled 1d6 Hit Points before he chose this Flaw.

Final Limitation:

While I listed this flaw needs someone who has powers. It need to be said Cyborg, Robot, Psionics nor Magic character classes can take this flaw. It's strickly limited to charcter with powers.

Feat Gained: 4 or 5

Notable Examples: These are people in comics that have this flaw. Cyclops, Havok, Scarlett Witch

The reason there's a variable in the amount of feats gained depends on if the character decide to have a power that give him resistance to Energy attacks. i.e ( like certain Control Powers. Energy Resistance, Impervious to Fire & Heat, ect). If he decide to have such a power he'll receive only 4 feats, if he forgoes such a power he receives 5 feats for this flaw.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Double Agent

Can be considered an offshoot or a more extreme case of the Dark Secret flaw. So while the DS can make your life unpleasant or can be extremely embarrassing depending on the culture, country or time frame. DA will get you kicked out from a team, lose certain social feats, arrested or killed so think carefully b4 you pick it, since it's discovery can cause you to lose your favorite character more or less permanently.

Feats Gained:1- 2-3

Depending the country or organization would indicate the amount of feats gained. If for example you're a DA for a terrorist organization you can expect to spend the next 20-30 yrs in prison, lose your reputation, lose any social feats like( Above the Law, Courtesy Rank, Diplomatic Immunity, High Society, ect). You lose them permanently and the feats are still taken of your character. In such a case you gain 2 feats. If a DA for your countries enemies like (US/North Korea, US/Iran, India/Pakistan, Israel/Iran, UK/Germany during WWII, Germany/East Germany during the Cold War) you receive the same punishment as above in addition you lose your life. In such a case you gain 3 feats. / If you're a DA for a friendly country like (US/Israel, US/South Korea) you receive the same punishment as if you were working for a terrorist organization.

Prerequisite: Must be a Patriotic hero, or the Security Clearance feat.

Notable examples: Cap America secretly working for Hydra, Cap Atom secretly working for the Joint Chief of Staff

Will Finish Later
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Unread post by Hunterrose »

Shadowknight wrote:Aging or Accelerated Aging

This flaw is rarely seen in comics from the big 2, but sometimes seen in Japanese Manga and the smaller American publisher of comic books. As the flaw name the power burns out the body as powers are being used by the character, in a fashion very similar to a Juicer from Rifts except the damage is gradual instead of fast degradation of the body in the last yr of the Juicer life. Each time an ability, power, magic or psionic is used for more than 2 rds regardless if you change to a different power, ability, magic spell or psionic ability 1 rd later you age 1 day, after another 2 rds you age another day and so on. While for game purpose you won't notice an accelerate aging of 1 week or 1 month, after a while it adds up. Anytime you age a 3 days or more within 1 day you receive -10% to skills, -2 to Strike, parry & dodge and you lose 1 of your attacks, each additional day adds another -5% to skills,-1 to strike, parry & dodge. If you age a week or more within a day you lose additional penalties on top of the ones for each additional day -25% to skills, -3 to strike parry & dodge and you lose 2 more of your attacks. The negative double each additional week of aging that day after the third week of aging roll sv throw vs non lethal poison with no bonus or pass out you are comatose for 3 days after that you can drag yourself around to eat, drink, read but you need to sleep at least 10 hrs a day till you made up the days of sleep you missed, Should you make the sv throw at 3 weeks a month or aging without rest is the absolute max, your body is basically on fumes you have only 1 attack at -15 to strike, parry & dodge and -65% to any skill all you want to do it crawl into a bed and sleep for week. The only way to lose the negatives is to spend at least 1 day doing nothing but sleeping at least 10 hrs a day, eating, watching TV or light reading for each day you age. If you waited till 3 weeks or a month to rest up it take you 2X as many days of resting to recover. Also anyone who stayed up 3 wks or more needs to make sv with no bonus vs pain or permanentaly lose -1 to his P.P or P.E, should anyone had stayed up a 4 wks he permanently lose -1 spd, -1d4 to hit points and needs to make sv with no bonus vs pain or lose -1 to his P.P, P.E, P.S he rolls against pain 3X 1 for each attribute.

Each 6 mts of aging the GM rolls vs non lethal poison for the character adding only half his P.E bonus to the save. Should he make it he only lose -1d4 SDC from his character sheet this represents the toll the AA flaw is taking on his or her body. Should he fail he lose -1d3 from 1 physical or mental attribute roll 1d6.1-I.Q. 2-P.S, 3-P.P, 4-P.E, 5-P.B, 6-SPD and 1d6 to his SDC this represents the toll the AC flaw is taking on his or her body. Needless the character after a couple of yrs of accelerated aging will look older than his yrs any time the character ages 2 yrs from AA flaw he also permanently lose -1 P.B.

Limitation:

Further Limitation:
This flaw can't be picked up by people who have Immortality, Longevity, Extraordinary P.E, Healing Factor, Divine Healing, Regeneration Ultima any other power, ability, magic, psionic or feat that can extend a person lifespan.

Very interesting. I was looking for something like this recently. I'll have to look up feats to see how this all works out.
Is Feats something that's Forum created or is it in a specific book/rifter?
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Right off the top of my head, I can think of a possible Flaw:(WIP), maybe three, when I check to see if I ever posted Annoyance Factor or Grand Pest as Feats(they might fit better here)

-Refusal to Learn(Occupational Stubbornness)---The character steadfastly believes that the way they do things is the ONLY and the RIGHT way, is too lazy to do things correctly, and refuses to seek education, accept advice, or listen to constructive criticism. In the best case scenario, the person believes in doing things by themselves and learns by empirical processes, slowly, but steadily grinding away at tasks and jobs, learning by painful repetition without outside assistance. In the worst case, the person simply continues to try performing skills they have no business even trying, or have little, if any, proficiency at. Such behavior may be exemplified in continuing to perform skills at a lower level of proficiency, laziness in execution, or in sloppy, negligent, slapdash fashion.
Game-wise, the character advances in skill/spell experience at a snail's pace. Only earns HALF of a skill's advancement percentage per each new level the character advances, or 25%(round down) if the character is really slow/inept/stubborn. If of a magic occupational class, learns HALF the number of new spells they normally would by progression.

Feats Earned: 2(?), 3 if the character goes with the 25% disadvantage.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Hunterrose wrote:
Shadowknight wrote:Aging or Accelerated Aging

Limitation:

Further Limitation:

Very interesting. I was looking for something like this recently. I'll have to look up feats to see how this all works out.
Is Feats something that's Forum created or is it in a specific book/rifter?
It's Forum created, I plan on getting back on it around the end of Jan or beginning of Feb the latest.
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

taalismn wrote:Right off the top of my head, I can think of a possible Flaw:(WIP), maybe three, when I check to see if I ever posted Annoyance Factor or Grand Pest as Feats(they might fit better here)

-Refusal to Learn(Occupational Stubbornness)---The character steadfastly believes that the way they do things is the ONLY and the RIGHT way, is too lazy to do things correctly, and refuses to seek education, accept advice, or listen to constructive criticism. In the best case scenario, the person believes in doing things by themselves and learns by empirical processes, slowly, but steadily grinding away at tasks and jobs, learning by painful repetition without outside assistance. In the worst case, the person simply continues to try performing skills they have no business even trying, or have little, if any, proficiency at. Such behavior may be exemplified in continuing to perform skills at a lower level of proficiency, laziness in execution, or in sloppy, negligent, slapdash fashion.
Game-wise, the character advances in skill/spell experience at a snail's pace. Only earns HALF of a skill's advancement percentage per each new level the character advances, or 25%(round down) if the character is really slow/inept/stubborn. If of a magic occupational class, learns HALF the number of new spells they normally would by progression.

Feats Earned: 2(?), 3 if the character goes with the 25% disadvantage.
While it has possibilities but as it is missing a certain lvl of spark. I think a better flaw would be Self-Righteous which fits closer to many Superheroes & SV trope. Such a flaw can lead to many wonderful role-playing opportunities, adventures and ultimately SH slug-fest since both sides tend to believe they're right and the other side wrong as seen in Marvel Civil War I & II also DC Injustice Gods Among Us.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Shadowknight wrote:
taalismn wrote:Right off the top of my head, I can think of a possible Flaw:(WIP), maybe three, when I check to see if I ever posted Annoyance Factor or Grand Pest as Feats(they might fit better here)

-Refusal to Learn(Occupational Stubbornness)--- While it has possibilities but as it is missing a certain lvl of spark. I think a better flaw would be Self-Righteous which fits closer to many Superheroes & SV trope. Such a flaw can lead to many wonderful role-playing opportunities, adventures and ultimately SH slug-fest since both sides tend to believe they're right and the other side wrong as seen in Marvel Civil War I & II also DC Injustice Gods Among Us.

Valid argument. I guess that rather nixes mundane Financial Sinkhole as well .
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”