get the party together

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

nathanyoung
Megaversal® Ambassador

get the party together

Unread post by nathanyoung »

this can always be the hardest part of any new game. what do people think of this one? help and ideas welcome.
a yearly public party. a city get together to commemorate the super heroes and new people. a chance for old and new alike to meet and mingle.
a chance for the public to meet their heroes, (and villains to have some immunity for a day)
also a chance for tech companies to show of new wares. a party and expo rolled into one.
then skies darken, clouds roll, magic erupts, and a ley line emerges!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: get the party together

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I don't usually have one central starting point. A lot of the time I have players pick a starting point for each of their characters and then create a central crisis which will pull them together. It does not always work, though, as some players are not as easily baited. But overall it works okay.
You can also have a crisis center around one of the players' characters to which the others will respond.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Sounds like a trade show...I like it! Similar to the AUSA Conference or the SHOT Show. It needs a cool name though.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

nathanyoung wrote:this can always be the hardest part of any new game. what do people think of this one? help and ideas welcome.

A character with Clairvoyance could make the introductions.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There are the...
...Bar Fight
...Jail Cell
...got sent (or invited) to a location to meet someone and they meet each other
...they got sent to "Hero School" and were all/mostly in the same class so they know each other already.
...get caught in the same room during something

to put most of that into context with the OP....

The chars are all from different parts of the country (world?) and have been sent tot he conference/convention to represent they local hero group. They are all in a live taking session when X happens to trap them (and maybe others) in that room/floor. Maybe it was the newbs party that is going on during the main confab party attended by the well know and established heros. The chars meet each other during the party (maybe a language barrier that nudges them together cause they are the only ones speaking english and the con's translators are all at the party for the established heros)
And something happens to incapacitate/ kill off/ disappear the established heros and the newbs are what are left to fight off the "whatever".
Which might leave the player chars drunk and they will hampered by the appropriate rules. :twisted:

The problem with "Magic erupting" is that it does not really effect just one leyline. Maybe the convention center was built on a LL Nexus and there is a secret underground level to it where there is a guild that...ahhh just had a magic mishap or it was purposefully made. (or somewhere in-between).

Maybe it was a dual conference with the mages/magi holding their in the secret level only accessible by magic/magic abilities.

After the initial event you can have Portals to other worlds open up as side effects (or are they the main effects cause this is part of the minion war?) and bring in any of the multitude of monsters or foes from the other settings.

And at the end of that story arc they wake up to find themselves in a holding tank at the police station or the government agency that police the supers. And they have now been filmed and named as a group by ...that reporter that was following them around??? So for good and/or ill they are stuck together for the foreseeable future. move on to the next story arc.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Super Hero Flash Mob...
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Thought I responded to this. You could have the convention hire them as security. Or have the mayor's office or city, hire them as new team of municipal defenders. Make each of them come up with a description of their character that is what the other PCs will know . One or two sentences, can be said in under five seconds.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I strongly recommend avoiding the issue entirely. The formation of the team is less important than the rest of the adventure and necessary for the adventure to happen. Just declare that the player characters know each other and are familiar enough with each other to set aside any differences they may have long enough to address the threat. Emphasize that alignment/personality conflicts may still occur, but skip past stuff that's more or less pointless.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Sometimes the easiest is the best:
"Somehow you all know each other"

If I wanted ideas for the campaign, I did this instead:
"Tell me how you know each other"
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
GeraldClamar
D-Bee

Unread post by GeraldClamar »

Bars and/or jails can work but for places like Century Station, or another powerful organization could just simply hire the heroes in question (as per the VU supplement) and assign them to assist a given city or a sector of the city. That's been the most effective in my campaigns so far.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”